Trailer Trash

Europe part III -- Cortina: Anton wins, I injure myself but survive the rescue (Read 26 times)

Watoni

After a few days in Voels (see part II), we headed out to Cortina for the Lavaredo Ultra Trail. I wanted it to be secondary to our family trip, so we lingered for lunch and let the boys swim. I got to Cortina and checked in for the race a bit later than I wanted, but everything seemed on track. Well, somehow my race number was not in the packet, so I raced back and was able to get it and drop my drop bag off. I did not get in a nap, but rolled to the start in Cortina, ready for the 11pm start. The atmosphere was very much like European cycling events I have taken part in -- a very festive, international atmosphere. I knew the roads in the region, but was clueless about the trails other than they would be long and steep, so I was planning for lots of hiking (even though I suck at hiking).

We rolled out at 11pm, and I ran the first rolling section through the town towards the first trail section, whereupon the trail kicked and I alternated hiking and jogging. The temperature was pleasant, and I could not see how I would use the required gear I had unless there was a radical change in the weather. I knew I was very low on miles but felt good. The first climb was tough (5km at about 12% average) but I was moving well. I started to push a little on the downhill, but mindful of having a fairly full stomach and wanting to conserve. About  amile into the downhill I hit a patch of ground that seemed to give way (at least my ankle did) and I stopped to assess. It hurt but I had had minor ankle turns since spraining it last spring and had always managed to continue. A little further on, however, it gave way completely and I hit the deck hard. At that point I hobbled along for a bit, passed the first checkpoint and tried to continue down the single track. It was clear I could not run downhill, and I was clogging the trail, so I moved aside off the trail and hiked back to the checkpoint.

It was fairly devastating, but I sat with two volunteers and waited to be picked up. They said they needed to close the course, so it took about an hour for the rest of the runners to come through. Then an ATV arrived. I went to grab the handles to hold onto, and the driver indicated I would need to hold onto him. He said the first part of the trail down (we took a different trail than I had run up) is the worst, so we started down some 20-30% pitches on technical trails and with my ankle throbbing and my head spinning, I just hoped not to fly off the edge. It took about an hour to get down, and then we drove on the main road (again, no helmets) at about 70 km/h until we made it back to town. I got back to the hotel about 4am, where my family was waiting.

After some sleep and a good breakfast, I went to town to get some ibuprofen, tape and watch the first runners finish. Anton came in solo, and was able to give interviews before the next runners came in. It was bittersweet to watch the runners finish. I went back to the hotel, swam in the pool and hung out with the family. We had a great time and great dinner before heading out to our last spot in the Dolomites the next day.

New snow

Anton slapping hands and coming into the finish

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Bummer on the ankle...you saw Anoton..highlight of your trip...for me. 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Watoni

Bummer on the ankle...you saw Anoton..highlight of your trip...for me. 

Yes, the commentator at the finish noted some of Anton's fans were disappointed he finished with his shirt on

LB2

If Sue had been there, he may not have finished. Cougars attack on sight!!!!

LB2