Trailer Trash

2016 Land Between the Lakes Marathon RR (Read 29 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Alright, so this is/was my first trail marathon but my second marathon overall.... I tried not to worry about it being a Spring marathon with the potential for any kind of weather, but I will admit that I wasn't quite ready for the warm weather that we got. All this past week the forecast was saying scattered showers, t-storms, severe weather, etc... then by Friday evening it was saying scattered showers, then Saturday morning it was saying PM showers. So all this rain I was worried about didn't happen, but instead I got 60 degree temps which wasn't awful until the sun came out.......

I'll admit that I was really nervous and Friday evening I was really questioning on doing it, I am glad I don't listen to reason lol.

I was up at 4:40 AM, started my coffee, took the dogs out for a walk to get them to go potty. Got back, ate and drank and used the bathroom and got dressed, took Jetta out one more time so she would poop. Then I got the rest of the way ready and headed to the start, I tried to use the bathroom again but only peed.... so I was concerned.

There was no gunshot, no nothing, everyone just started going at 6:30. We were off on the road headed for the trail, the road was 1.7 miles and then the trail loop was 11.3 miles. The temperature didn't feel too bad early on, during the first loop. The hills really didn't start showing up until mile 7 or so, and they were definitely challenging. My garmin was on track for the first 2-3 miles and then slowly started getting off track by .1 miles each mile or so.

I was happy and feeling pretty good finishing up the first loop and my garmin was saying 12.4 miles at that point and it should've been 13.2 miles but my garmin was already falling off track. 

By mile 13-14 I was beginning to feel it, and the sun was beginning to come out..... yeah so much for rain huh.... I was drowning my hat in any creek water I would find and putting it back on my head. I was burning up, and getting really tired. 

I was wishing for the final aid station before the return back to the finish, and with each aid station I would eat orange slices - 2-4 of them, they were delicious. I also had some coke too, and some blue gatorade, but I mainly stuck to my water mixed with Hammer Heed (one scoop of strawberry, one scoop of Lemon-Lime), and my hydration bladder, and by mile 19 or so I had consumed all 3 energy gu's. 

The hills were getting real tough, and the sun was just beating down on me, I was wishing for rain.... and the finish. I didn't expect to finish under 5:30:00... and heck I half expected to finish around 6 hours.

I couldn't even figure out where I actually was mileage wise, my garmin is always far behind. I cannot begin to explain how happy I was to see the last aid station but that last 1.7 miles was tough as hell on asphalt/concrete. 

I was pretty surprised and happy to see my time at the finish - 5:19:48 so I made it under 5 hours and 30 minutes, and not too far behind my first marathon which was like 4:48:something.

My garmin of course finished at 23.9 miles, so it was like... 2.1 miles behind or something like that (my brain is still recovering).

Not sure if I should even bother posting my splits since it was off by 2.1 miles, so I don't think I will bother. It was 5:19:48 for 26.2 miles, with an average pace of 12:12 min/mile and an elevation gain of 1,808 feet so pretty close to their 2,068 miles I guess.

These are definitely tough, and a lot more brutal than road marathons but mainly because I am so used to road races and worrying about my finish time. I need to learn some humility and get over my pride if I am going stick with trail races and get into ultra-marathons, pride and vanity has no place on the trails. I do enjoy the atmosphere much more than road races, and talked to a few runners doing the 60k, they suggested that if I was feeling good on the 2nd loop I could upgrade to the 60k..... yeah I knew by the middle of the 2nd loop that wasn't going to happen.

But I enjoyed it very much, it was brutal and challenging... I earned this medal and even though it was a half hour slower than my first marathon, I truly feel as if I redeemed myself. I didn't have any stomach issues, no issues at all other than the normal long distance trail race issues lol.

Some pics I took after the race, showing my medal, my feet and my battle scars.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

AT-runner

Tim

Nice job! The heat can really get you early in the season.

You can never compare road times to trail times. Way too many differences even if the trails seem relatively flat and tame.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Nice job! The heat can really get you early in the season.

You can never compare road times to trail times. Way too many differences even if the trails seem relatively flat and tame.

Definitely true Smile Thanks!

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Daydreamer1

I was just going to scan this and read it in depth tomorrow. Then I saw that you took the Jetta out for a poop and did a double take. Why the heck would a car need to poop .  Interesting name for a dog, don't think I've ever heard that one before.

Then I started to read a little more carefully. Sounds like a good time.  At least you didn't have 20 inches of snow to contend with .

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I was just going to scan this and read it in depth tomorrow. Then I saw that you took the Jetta out for a poop and did a double take. Why the heck would a car need to poop .  Interesting name for a dog, don't think I've ever heard that one before.

Then I started to read a little more carefully. Sounds like a good time.  At least you didn't have 20 inches of snow to contend with .

Lol, Jetta is a rescue GSD. She was surrendered to a rescue last June at 4 months old, severely underweight but that was her name and I just chose not to change it Smile

These photos were taken Friday when I took my pups out on the beginning of the loop and about a mile in.

PRs

runtraildc

Congratulations on your first trail race.  And second to what AT has to say about trail races-- everything is different, including pace.  And nice pics of the pups.  We can never have too many dog pictures.

XtremeTaper

Congratulation on your race! I wouldn't too much stock on the garmin reading on a trail course. Especially if it's a twisty route under trees. Still, that's a pretty good time and not too far off your road time. Well done, but I am disappointed not to see any blood.

Oh, that flying dog photo is great!

In dog beers, I've only had one.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Lol, I have a few bruises/marks/rubs on my stomach from my hydration pack from going shirtless for 10 miles or so.

I got the results

Overall - 53/110 finishers

Female - 15/43

AG - 2nd/6

PRs

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

These are the professional pics taken. There were only four I could find of me.

PRs

I ran that race 2 or 3 years ago (can't remember the date), thought it was a beautiful course.  As others have said, it's not fair to compare trail times to road times.  Two different categories.  Congrats!

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

Sandy-2

Congratulations, well done!!!  Sounds like a lot of fun.  Welcome to the dark side.

I also like the flying dog pic. I was going to ask if you had a run-in with some underbrush, but then realized you said it was due to your hydro-pack. Need more BodyGlide I guess.  ;-)

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Lol thanks guys Smile

I didn't even hand body glide on lol, didn't expect to take my shirt off lol. It is definitely a beautiful course, brutal... but beautiful Smile

Slower and more challenging than road races, but I'd still take the trails over roads.

PRs

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

My first rule of trail running.  Put away the Garmin because pace and distance are too subjectional.  Trail running hippies couldn't careless don't give a shit about exact distances.

Good job on beating your A goal.

"These are definitely tough, and a lot more brutal than road marathons but mainly because I am so used to road races and worrying about my finish time."

You can still "worry about your finish time" but you'll learn to consider comparable races/trails.  Example: the last 2 weeks I've run 2 different trail half marathons; both of them were difficult courses with around 2500 feet of climbing on technical trails. Those I can compare and I finished with 3 minutes of each other on both. But no way am I beating myself up over not running a 1:40 like I can do on the road.

You people have issues 

NHLA

Congrats!!  The only way to compare trail times is run it nx year. If they don't change course.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

My first rule of trail running.  Put away the Garmin because pace and distance are too subjectional.  Trail running hippies couldn't careless don't give a shit about exact distances.

Good job on beating your A goal.

"These are definitely tough, and a lot more brutal than road marathons but mainly because I am so used to road races and worrying about my finish time."

You can still "worry about your finish time" but you'll learn to consider comparable races/trails.  Example: the last 2 weeks I've run 2 different trail half marathons; both of them were difficult courses with around 2500 feet of climbing on technical trails. Those I can compare and I finished with 3 minutes of each other on both. But no way am I beating myself up over not running a 1:40 like I can do on the road.

True, very true. Sadly I am not yet a trail running hippy, just coming off the roads so that might take a few trail marathons lol.

Thanks Smile

Again, very true Smile Though I hope with some more hill training and stair training, I'll be able to get faster on the trails, though not near as fast as I am on the roads. Smile My quads were definitely lacking on the second round of hills, as were my glutes and hamstrings. Honestly, I am just glad that I finished and am already feeling good 4-5 days later, I ran 2 easy miles Tuesday and then ran 4 easy miles this afternoon and can walk up and down stairs without even an ache or hint of soreness Smile

PRs