Trailer Trash

Toxic Tuesday (Read 15 times)

LB2

I'll run 6 to 7 after work today.

QOTD: How often do you have totally crappy runs and how do you address them?

I rarely have them, but I certainly did yesterday. I usually take them in stride and figure it may be a sign that I need to rest. I think yesterday was the result of eating poorly on Saturday, barely eating on Sunday, and not eating anything before stepping out for a long run after only about two hours of sleep.

LB2

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I slept in this morning and skipped my morning run but I will get out later for a distance tbd.  Got in a good trail run Saturday and then a nice hike with the family yesterday (Flat Rock for all of you PA folks).  It was such a beautiful day out.  We ran into a couple of older guys who were doing some trail maintenance and boy they do some great work.  They had a couple of re-routes they completed earlier in the year.  The one section (I estimated maybe .4 miles long), they did in only 3 days and there were a lot of large rocks used for steps.  They are rocks stars! We thanked them profusely both going up the mountain and back down.

QOTD: I usually don't spend too much time worrying about it.  But if I have a few bad runs in a row, then it is time to really evaluate why that is.  So here is a part "B" to this question.  How soon into your run do you know it's going to be and stay crappy?

For me, it is usually around the 1-2 mile mark.  If things have not cleared up by then, it will likely be a total crap run.  Sometimes, as a result, I will end it sooner than I intended but other times just push through.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I should have ran this morning as the air is perfectly clear of smoke; sadly west of the divide it's terrible 

I ran 17 yesterday morning and after lunch took Tiny E out for 4 miles, so figured I'd take a rest day from running. Going to strength train this evening.

qotd: knock on wood, I don't have many really crappy runs- I'll usually just slug them out- probably not the best idea.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

LB2

Part B to QOTD: On Monday, it was around 4 miles in. The first few miles were fine, actually good. Now that I think more about it, it may have been some pre-occupation with the new truck I bought Saturday afternoon. I had a little anxiety associated with that purchase, but it has totally subsided now. And I am quite happy with my new truck. I haven't bought myself a truck in 16 years. I think it was about time.

LB2

Sandy-2

SRD today.  Feels nice to have a day off.

qotd: It isn't too often, but I do tend to grunt through them.  Most often with me heat and barfing are involved with a crappy run so it's pretty easy to address those things. . . .  walking breaks anyone?

LB2, still waiting for pics of the new monster truck. Actually I was thinking of you yesterday as I was sitting at a red light behind a nice new Big Horn, looked great.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

runtraildc

12 miles this morning with a ruining friend. 3.5 miles in, he trips on a rock and falls flat on his face. Broken glasses and a cut above and below his eye. Tells me he is going to walk out and I should feel free to continue on. Cardinal rule #1 is not to leave a bleeding runner back in the woods. He recovered after a bit of hiking and we continued on another route.

qptd: not too often, unless I'm recovering from something and my mileage is poor. I've been running for long enough to know those crappy runs (or stretches) happen and they will pass eventually

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Nothing so far and my 13 on Sunday turned into barely 8.  I skipped the group Sunday run to get some work done and planned on 8 miles but Jack was dragging.  I would do squats while he rested.    Monday we hiked a few miles to a lake and back.   I was carrying a 12 pack and ice so got a bit of a work out.  I packed 4 waters in and 3 out!!   Today I should have ran but didn't.

QOTD:  If it's just me and the dogs I just go with it and jog/walk  jalk.  It happens more than I like to admit.  I think it has a lot to do with morning runs and no warm; just straight from bed to run.....B I wait at least until 3 miles to call it a crappy run.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

AT-runner

Tim

Some easy road miles today. Humid as hell right now. Storms coming and then cooler weather for a while. Pool is closed and I ordered 3 tons of wood pellets, so must be end of summer.

LB - I never get buyers remorse until the first payment comes.

DC - Ouch!  That was pretty early into the 12 miler to break glasses. How did he finish?

Queen -  Only had to pack out the water. The beer was all gone right?

QOTD:  A) Not too many crappy runs for me (any run is better that work) and I really believe in the adage that "you never regret a run when it's done, but you might regret not going for one". I just run through it and hope it passes. I'll stop and take in some sights and that helps.  If it is a bad run, it's usually because I can't get my mind off of some other problem at work or with kids.  B) It can take me 3-4 miles before I feel like I'm in a rhythm with breathing and pace. If I don't feel good by then, it's not going to pass.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

Not sure if I'll get in a run/walk tonight or not.  At this time it's looking like probably not as we are supposed to have strong storms rolling through the area.  Last night was mostly clear with a nice moon approaching full moon. It would have been a really nice night to go for a long run and stop by the cemeteries and howl at the moon .  Made that comment to one of the girls at work that I rarely see or work with.  Interesting look on the poor kids face .

If it clears up and is at least only partly cloudy I'll run 5-6 miles, otherwise it will be the elliptical for a good workout.

QOTD: Depends on how I define a totally crappy run.  If it's just not having the speed that I want and dead legs that happens quite a bit.  If it's more a case of nothing going and feeling right  to the point of me wanting to quit the run early, It doesn't happen too often but at the same time I would say it happens  far too often.  Probably 10-15% of my long runs I'd describe as rather crappy with about 5-10% being totally $hi##$y.  Since most of this comes from my stomach issues I try to look at my diet before and during the run and adjust that for subsequent runs.

For the part B side, if It's just my legs feeling dead I will feel that really early but I never know if it's going to stay that way or get better.  That's where just a run/walk can really salvage a run.  If it's my stomach issues I'll know that by about mile 7-8. If I slow down, maybe stop and get things under control the run may be salvageable. If by mile 10 I'm not feeling better then it gets real ugly.