Trailer Trash

Fridaily (Read 10 times)

AT-runner

Tim

Is everyone ready for a weekend?  I sure am.

DW is walking a 5k tomorrow with some of her residents from the nursing home.  Last year she was last with an 80 yo woman.  She's anticipating being DFL again this tear as she has 2 residents over 80 walking.  All in all she has 10 residents doing he race.  It's a huge 5k and about 1/2 are walkers.

I will hit the woods while she is doing her good deed.  Hope to run 16 tomorrow.

Good luck to Lace (wish he's post again) and XT and any other racers , pacers or volunteers this weekend.

Happy Father's Day!

QOTD:  Any special memories of your father that you'd care to share?  My dad died 14 years ago in a car accident. My work ethics and volunteerism come directly from him.  He encouraged us to explore our talents, and I tried to share that with my kids.  He was a good man.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

runtraildc

Morning all.  Got in 4 miles last night before the storms started.  And I was just finishing up as the fireflies were coming out.  Foot felt ok-- some dull pain a couple of minutes in then it subsided, but still slightly swollen and sore today.  Thinking I might have a very fine fracture in a meta-tarsal? Not sure if a doc would help at this point.  I'll see how the next week or so goes.

Good luck to AT''s wife, XT and any other racers this weekend!

qotd: My dad died 4 years ago of cancer-related illness. I think what he taught me most was to be comfortable with the uncomfortable.  It's a lesson I'm trying to pass on to my kiddo's.  I always think of him especially when I'm in a wild blueberry patch in northern MN, which I don't get to often enough. From his dad, he knew all the back roads and special spots in the arrowhead region (NE- by Lake Superior). We ate a lot of wild blueberries growing up.

AT-runner

Tim

Morning all.  Got in 4 miles last night before the storms started.  And I was just finishing up as the fireflies were coming out.  Foot felt ok-- some dull pain a couple of minutes in then it subsided, but still slightly swollen and sore today.  Thinking I might have a very fine fracture in a meta-tarsal? Not sure if a doc would help at this point.  I'll see how the next week or so goes.

Try the vibration test. Tap strongly on the bone at a point away from where it hurts, or use something to vibrate the area (a dryer works).  If you feel pain at a local spot, it's a stress fracture.  Good luck with it.

Daydreamer1

No, I'm not ready for the weekend.  It's my weekend to work and under my new schedule I'll be spending the next three nights at work . The only silver lining is that I might be able to get in some short runs or rides Saturday and Sunday afternoon.  In the past I would work a 24 hour today, then I could do a long run on Saturday afternoon. It worked out really well.

Ran out of gels last week so I ordered 82 from Hammer. Got that many so I could get free shipping. They came yesterday and one of the packets had leaked so I spent last night washing and testing all the packets .

Somehow I developed a rather sharp pain, mid- femur on my right leg.  Guess it could be from banging, bending and twisting it while working on my pickup, but it doesn't feel like that. Feels more like when I was 19 and a cow kicked me over the moon .  Ok, I didn't fly quite that far but then it hurt like this and it took me two weeks to walk  right. Hope I didn't do something to it bombing down some of the hills yesterday.   Getting ready to head out for a bike ride, probably about 30 miles. That shouldn't be too hard on the leg.

Good luck to all the racers and walkers.

AT - Does your wife work at a nursing home or a assisted living? If it's a nursing home I find it kind of sad that there are people having to live there that are in good enough shape to walk 5k.

QOTD:  My Dad and I are very different in a lot of ways. There are some ways  though that we are very much alike.  Honesty and integrity is one area. My Dad would never take advantage of anyone and he passed that along to me.

AT-runner

Tim

AT - Does your wife work at a nursing home or a assisted living? If it's a nursing home I find it kind of sad that there are people having to live there that are in good enough shape to walk 5k.

They have cottages, apartments, rehab, assisted living and then skilled (nursing) care. Once you buy into a cottage or apartment, they take care of you for the rest of your life.  She's the Wellness Director, and deals with all the residents up until skilled care. She teaches classes, and helps organizes activities, like walking a 5K.

Daydreamer1

They have cottages, apartments, rehab, assisted living and then skilled (nursing) care. Once you buy into a cottage or apartment, they take care of you for the rest of your life.  She's the Wellness Director, and deals with all the residents up until skilled care. She teaches classes, and helps organizes activities, like walking a 5K.

I wondered if it was one of those facilities. They have one like that up in the one district that I work in sometimes. In a way it's nice for the older folks, but it's also kind of sad. I've seen people who lived in a cottage for >10 years. They'd get sick, have to go into the independent living so someone could be closer to help them, then they'd need assisted living and next thing you knew we were taking them back from the hospital to skilled nursing where they would die.  Just a gradual slide down to the end.