Trailer Trash

Shot in the dark North Face Park City Question (Read 28 times)

Watoni

I am somewhat stupidly planning on attempting the North Face 50-mile run in Park City this Saturday.

Does anyone know the course and which sections are the most technical?

The first 12 or so miles look to be mostly uphill from the lowest point on the course to the highest (about 7k to almost 10k feet), and I will be running this section mostly with a headlamp due to the 5am start (moved up from 4am recently). After my last ankle sprain I am going to try different shoes (the ones I normally run in still hit the ankle the wrong way at times).  I can switch shoes at 21 miles, at which point you hit a different loop. If one loop were more technical than the other it might influence what shoes I start in and which ones I put in the drop bag.

Other thoughts on the course, if you know it?

Occasional Runner

I've never run the race, but I think I've run on pretty much all of the trails they're using. That area isn't technical at all. It's mostly well buffed single track, a little double track and a few jeep roads. The trip up Jupiter peak has a lot of loose rock and is really steep, but it isn't super technical. It's a nice area to run.

AT-runner

Tim

Looks like the start is where DW and I ran last week.  We did what looks like the first 5 miles of the course and cut across and did the last 6 of the course.  My moose picture from my trip report was on the trail that you will finish on.

From and East Coaster's perspective, the trails were not technical.  Mostly single track, crushed dirt with only a few roots and maybe a bit of gravel when you crossed some of the ski slopes.  First climb was pretty hard, but had some switchbacks that occasionally were flat or even downhill to catch your breath.

Good luck.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Watoni

Thanks, guys. Maybe I will start in the (gasp) Hoka Huakas ....

Occasional Runner

Thanks, guys. Maybe I will start in the (gasp) Hoka Huakas ....

I'll pretend I don't know you when you come through my aid station.

Watoni

I'll pretend I don't know you when you come through my aid station.

Would it be better if I wore PI N2s, Helios or Sense 3 Ultras?

Occasional Runner

Would it be better if I wore PI N2s, Helios or Sense 3 Ultras?

If you're running in Utah, you need a pair of Altras. I'm pretty sure it's state law.

Occasional Runner

Here are a couple of pictures of your NOT SO technical course.