Trailer Trash

Tropical Storm Thursdaily (Read 19 times)

AT-runner

Tim

Looks like Cindy is making landfall on the Gulf Coast.  Burke and Sandy, hope you guys are out of harms way.

Short run this morning.  Going to get the road bike out and ride later.  As with all biking, the first priority is to get the ass in shape.  I haven't been riding steadily for a while, but a friend is training for an Ironman, so I might tag along with him on some of his rides.

Warden - looks like you need more target practice. A Canadian sniper had a confirmed kill of as ISIS leader from 3450 meters (2.14 miles). Said it took 10 seconds for bullet to get to target.

QOTD: If you could go back to your HS graduation time, what would you do differently with your future -education / career / personal / etc?  I would have still studied chemistry, but would have taught science at the HS level and coached a sport.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

Sort of an SRD today. I just didn't run when I got up this morning. TS Cindy is pretty lame. We haven't gotten much in the way of rain. We seem to be in a dry zone within the wet zone. However, because of the floods last year, tons of people are having serious issues with anxiety. I am not talking about every day anxiety that might crop up; I am talking about serious anxiety issues that need medical attention. And I am pleasantly surprised that the need is recognized and being addressed. I am truly surprised by that.

It sort of ticks me off that the Canadians have that record, and the Brits have second. That is a long, long shot.

QOTD: From HS, I think I would have followed the same path, but I would have become a runner much sooner. And I think that when I left the Marine Corps, I would have headed out for Wyoming, Montana, or Colorado instead of back home. However, people from down here usually end up back home sooner or later, and I can't complain too much; I have it pretty good. It is just so freakin' hot.

LB2

XtremeTaper

Short walk with the Lady last night at Green Lane after a surprise afternoon t-storm with pretty strong straight line winds. The park put up a short section of fence along one of the trails in an effort to prevent kids from hiking down to the cliff and jumping into the lake. I saw some kids doing it a few weeks ago. I guess everyone wants to be a youtube star.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky-QmMokia8

No run today. Will walk the dog and mow the yard for exercise.

QOTD: Well, my motto is don't look back except in running. Ha. When I graduated from HS I took a year off from school and moved to CA. Hard to beat goofing off. To answer your question for fun, I think I would have done well as a math teacher, so would have studied advanced mathematics (I stopped at differential equations in college), and of course become a runner sooner in life.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

AT- that is quite a shot!  I've got to shoot out to 1000 yards at some of the rifle schools I've attended, very humbling- this makes a 1000 yards look like a close shot.

got a nice 7-ish mile run in yesterday; the trail that Tiny E I found makes a nice little loop up and along a ridge, also goes through a pretty big meadow full of wildflowers. Just when I think I've been on every trail- this isn't an "official" trail (looks completely unused) it'll work 

going to get DW and Tiny E out on this new trail this evening, we've cooled down from 80's to low 70's today- perfect!

qotd: I would buckle down and get college done in four years- I took semesters off to work, four years in the Air Force and some general f^€king off.  Oh well, alls well that ends well.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

got a nice 7-ish mile run in yesterday; the trail that Tiny E I found makes a nice little loop up and along a ridge, also goes through a pretty big meadow full of wildflowers. Just when I think I've been on every trail- this isn't an "official" trail (looks completely unused) it'll work 

That's always a great feeling. I love when it happens. Makes me excited to go out and explore some more.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

runtraildc

Good afternoon, folks. Got in just under 5 miles this morning, with a mix of run/walk. I'm shifting to am runs, at least a few times a week while the kiddo is in the pool. I think I have it figured out to have my coffee made, grab a banana, consume when we get to the pool to slowly wake up, then run.  The legs were a bit uncooperative/sluggish, but I think its just an adjustment to early runs.

qotd: Would'a, Could'a, Should'a. I have the same philosophy as XT.  Maybe a nurse practitioner. except I think I would have a hard time with folks who aren't empowered with regards to their health, and/or don't take it seriously.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

A quick 4 this morning.  Had to be at work 1.5 hours earlier.  Hmmm it I can get up at this time everyday think how much farther I could run!

Qotd; I would have taken a few years to grow up more years to grow up before going to college..than become a forest ranger and never moved to so cal.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Sandy-2

DW said that TS Cindy was a bust. Nothing but a little rain. I wouldn't know since I'm in China at the moment.  I'm flying back on Friday. But thanks for the Kirnd thoughts.

I did do an easy 5 mi on Thurs morning here, pretty boring run;  2.25 e, .25 s, 2.25w, .25 n gotta hate city grids, even if the local sights are nothing like home. 😁

qotd: hmmm better not say...  😎.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Daydreamer1

Had a pretty nice 20.3 mile run yesterday. Legs are beat up from that and so was the body.  So much so that after getting a fairly nice night of sleep I came into work, got all the morning chores out of the way and was going to start the dailies. Instead I fell asleep for several hours . Since then it's been running around taking care of people. One that really, really needed an evaluation by Jamie .

So no running today and if I was at home I'd only do a easy bike ride anyway.

QOTD:  For high school: Chosen different parents. I know, that sounds bad. But we were given very little guidance in choosing our path through life. My dad did well for himself considering that he barely made it through 9th grade.  My mother wanted us to get straight A's in school but with her severe anxiety no matter what path we ended up taking she was critical of.  Consequently there was no advice and little support as we headed into life and we were always made afraid that we would fail at no matter what we did.

After high school, and I dropped out after 9th grade, I regret not going into the military.  I had always wanted to do the Coast Guard rescue, Special forces or Air Force Para-rescue.

I won't even start on what I wished I would have done differently when I had my trucking business.

After heading back to school at the tender age of 29 and graduating 15 months later to do what I'm doing now, I really wish I would have taken a job with Anna Rundel County Maryland Fire Rescue. They would have put me through the fire academy and I would now be eligible to retire. Just talked to one of their Firefighters who showed me their pay scale. I'd be making 20k+ more then now and at my age could retire with full medical benefits or defer them until later. Considering that DW is 8 years older then me that would really work out good. Plus just like the military stuff it would have been a rather interesting job.

The one thing I wouldn't do differently?  Marry DW. She's real good at putting up with my $hit , and that in itself would have been the biggest problem with going into the military, because then I probably would not have ended up married to her.  

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Thought about running hills at VF but quickly nixed that after running 5 x 1000m last night.. Ended up with 4.4 miles easy.

qotd: I would apply myself more to school. I skated through and had very poor study habits. Given that, I would probably have gone straight to college instead of taking a year off, and may have actually become a theoretical mathematician or college professor of math.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.