Trailer Trash

Eastern States (Read 33 times)

Daydreamer1

Missed the sign up date and ended up 39th on the waiting list.

What are the close towns with shopping,food, beer, hotel..etc

Wow, that filled up fast.

For lodging there is a "resort"  that sits just outside the Little Pine State Park.  They have cabins and an adequate restaurant.  We stayed in a cabin the one year and it wasn't too bad.  Waterville has a bar or two I think and maybe one of them rents rooms as well. Jersey Shore is about  10-15 miles south and has more hotels and restaurants. Otherwise you have to go to Williamsport  or Lock Haven for services.   There are also some cabin rentals available in the area but I never really figured out how to find them other then driving by and writing down phone numbers to call.  The state park also has some camping available, including several yurts.

Basically this area of the Pa Wilds is kind of like the UP.  More deer and bear then people, and sometimes you have trouble distinguishing the deer and bear from the people .   It's a lovely area that I should visit more.

Took me awhile to find it but this is the place where we stayed.

http://www.happyacresresort.net/

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

The Happy Acres Resort is good, but somewhat pricey. I stayed there in a cabin with my dad once, and the cabins are quite luxurious and provide everything.

In contrast, the cabins at the Little Pine State Park campground are very small and very basic, pretty much just like a tent with bunks and walls.

I stayed in a yurt at the campground, but meanwhile people have figured that out and the two yurts are booked already 0:01 a.m. on the day they become available for booking. So that’s not an option.

The campground has good and warm showers, and most runners stay there. You also run across half the campground early in the morning after the start, so anyone accompanying you can watch you one last time and cheer you in before you immerse yourself in absolute agony 

Jersey Shore looks great on the map, but actually there’s nothing. I think Williamsport is better, or Lock Haven.

There is is a Country Store close to the campground, that carries everything you could ever want or think of for camping, hiking and fishing. We usually spend most of our money there.  

Remember there’s barely any phone or internet available in the area.

Lock Haven and Williamsport have all facilities and amenities available, but depending on their own schedule, and even State College’s event schedule, rooms can be in high demand. Book early, you can always cancel if you don’t get there.

Run for fun.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I’ve also run MMT 100 and finished. That one is way south though, about 5 hrs south of ES100.

MMT 100 is easier than ES 100 on my personal overall scale. It has way less elevation gain. However, it has its own type of difficulties along the trails, and I also really enjoyed that race. MMT is definitely a mountain race, and it is run in May. But don’t let this fool you. Humidity and temps can be high then in VA already, too. When I ran it, the weather was not much different from the August temps and humidity at ES100, and there were some severe storms going on in the afternoon and night, too. I also wrote a RR about it - I’ll try to find it.

Found it:

https://www.runningahead.com/groups/Trailer_Trash/forum/bebfe6cf26214bf6ba6b6943e1a4f78f/resume#focus

Run for fun.

Gator eye

Thanks abunch, i have some lookin to do