Trailer Trash

Sweet Saturday (Read 18 times)

LB2

4 mile tempo run on some trails I cleared out on Thursday after work. I should count those trail work miles.

QOTD: Do you ever think back on how much you have learned from when you first started trail running? And if so, are you surprised by how far you have come?

I was thinking about this yesterday because I was watching a special on Billy Duffy (guitarist for the Cult), and he was talking about how clueless he was about the guitar when he first picked it up. The special took you through the process all the way up to where they made it big and he discussed all sorts of things about guitars, amps, acoustics, guitar styles, tones, and sound.

I was completely clueless about nutrition, pace, effort, hills, etc. And I thought of many times where I just asked really dumb questions to people who were really accomplished trail runners. Then, I realized that I did learn a lot very quickly, and those dumb questions lead to some very profound conversations with some folks who really knew what they were doing. Back then, a 100 mile run seemed like an unattainable thing. But with the right mindset, anyone can do it, and it can open up a whole new perspective on all aspects of life.

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

About ready to head out for a 16-ish miler on Helena Ridge, temps are pretty nice now (low 60's), but will be pretty warm by the time I'm back to my truck

qotd: Agreed, I've also learned a ton since I started- still learning. I think my biggest "lesson" learned is listening to your body in regards to injuries- I'm still a slow learner in this respect, but getting better 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Daydreamer1

Yesterday's run was 7.4 miles of mostly misery. Started out with clouds and a decent temp. Then it rained and the sun came out turning it into a sauna . Actually had a good enough time, it just sucked running that fast.  Looking at something between 5 - 8 miles again on the road and in the middle of the afternoon before work.

QOTD: I often ponder this. Have I learned anything?  Sometimes I'm not sure that I have. If I would have learned something I could figure out why I develop my GI issues in most races over 15 miles. I'm still trying to figure out how to run a slow pace, something in the 11-12 minute range. I can hit that but often it's because I do a run/walk with the running at around a 9 - 9:30 pace. I think I'd be better off if I could run that in between pace.  I have learned that my nutrition/hydration/fueling needs are totally different than on the bike.  In one sense I'm surprised at my lack of progression in the distance realm.  When I first started trail running I wasn't thinking about ultras, Within several months I thought a 100 miler was doable, now I'm not so sure.

muppy

6.5 miles last night on the paved recreation path. It was hot and miserable.

QOTD I try to listen to my body more. I also learned you can run more than 30 minutes before taking a gel. I used to think gels were a magical thing and need to be able to run more than 3 miles.

AT-runner

Tim

Long run in the woods. Saw  10 horsey people out on the trails. A young boy was on a pony. He had a cowboy helmet on. Very nice people and they thanked us for pulling over so they could get passed.  Then we got to a logging road and were blasted with dust by 2 yahoos on 4 wheelers. They didn't see the need to slow down near us. WTF.  Hate people like that and what a contrast to the nice horse people we met on the single track. One of those days.

QOTD:  I learned that if you want to be a good trail runner, it pays to run on very technical trails (like the PA or MD sections of the AT).  When I travel, I'm surprised at how runnable the surfaces of other trails are, compared to where I train, and how some people will almost stop once the see a section with roots or rocks.

Learned to be a mid-foot striker pretty quickly while transitioning form marathoner to ultrarunner. Several falls will do that.

I'm surprised at how far I've mentally developed over the years.  I'm able to keep a positive attitude no matter how late or how long I've been on my feet, and it has really helped me. Don't know if I could have done that 15 years ago.

Nutrition wise, I was a Gatorbarf user for Tri's and marathons. Found out pretty quickly that that didn't hold up after 3-4 hours and was able to train my stomach / body into using "real" food for energy.  This took a lot of trail and error, and I still have to tinker with it.  Good example was at my last 24hr when at 12 hours in, I drank a Slimfast and 1/2 hour later would have paid to vomit it out. I've used Slimfast for almost every long race I've ever done, but this race was the hottest conditions I had ever run in, and now I know my stomach reacts differently in very hot weather. As John M used to say "work in progress".

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Sandy-2

Wcrunner: thanks for yesterday's info, ready appreciate it!!!  I'm on Lexofloxacin which is a quinolone (I guess the same as what you mention). They don't give any info on what they prescribe over here (hell, they barely tell you what they are giving you), but we always look it up on the Internet, it does indicate that Lexo... "may rarely cause tendon damage (such as tendinitis, tendon rupture) during or after treatment", especially over 60 years.

I am planning on doing 3 or 4 miles today (Sun).

Update: did some more research in what I'm taking and decided to stop it immediately and will get the guy to change me over to Augmentin or some other milder thing.

Here's an interesting article:   http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-treatment/fda-warns-of-tendon-damage-linked-to-antibiotics

qotd: with my stupid overtraining move last month, evidently not enough.

tbd.

runtraildc

Hey Sandy-- I hope you find something that works for you.  FWIW--Augmentin is on my list of 'never again'. My reaction involved extreme fatigue (1-2 hour 'naps' every day) and I suspect caused low grade tinnitus that developed shortly afterwards.

Update: did some more research in what I'm taking and decided to stop it immediately and will get the guy to change me over to Augmentin or some other milder thing.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Here's an interesting article:   http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-treatment/fda-warns-of-tendon-damage-linked-to-antibiotics

FWIW - I've used Cipro with no problems. Not all fluoroquinolones have the same level of risk. I did have some mild tendon pain while on one of the other antibiotics in that family, but stopped immediately and had no further occurrences. If you can get a substitute you probably should, but any drug will have side effects. UTIs can be very nasty. I was hospitalized for 5 days with one severe case.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.