Trailer Trash

Marquette 100k (Read 19 times)

Gator eye

not real good at these race reports and I usually end up rambling. So venture in at your own risk.

The course is like a figure 8 the first loop is around 10 miles and the second loop is 20, for the 100k you run the  first loop clockwise then counter clockwise, then you get on the big loop and do the same. The first loop is made up mostly of loose rocks and roots the footing is very technical, not a lot of climbing but the trail is always up and down. The second loop has 4 or 5 mountain climbs around 6500' worth also with a lot of rocks and roots.

The race started at 12:30am, the weather was calling for rain. We started with dry weather. The first loop was uneventful and dry. I change my headlight batteries and out for the second backwards lap in no time.  Half way through that lap my batteries start to die,of course. I have the worst luck with lights and batteries during races. Anyway I latched on to another guy with a bright light to get me back to my drop bag.

We got done with the small loop in around 5 or 6 hours. Put in new batteries and back out. The second loop didn't have the reflective tacks and tape so follow the trail got a little tougher. I got off trail quite a few times and at one point I followed the wrong trail for almost a mile before I figured out and had to back track. Finally it started to lighten up but with it came the rain. It rained the rest of the race and made it on the cold side. Around mile 35 was my first major fall, my little toe on my left foot caught a rock and slammed me into the deck, it probably hurt but my left calf took offense to this fall and locked up so tight it left me rolling around on the ground cryin in pain. It let up but after that fall I had problems with cramping for the rest of the race.

The race went on, I cramped, worked through it and moved on. The solid rocks on the mountains were very slippery and it felt like I was trying to run on uneven ice so there was a lot of walking on the tops.

When I finished the first of the big loops I changed into something alittle warmer drank a beer to try and catch up on my hydration and some s caps to work on the cramping and took along the treking poles. Whatever I did it helped because after that the cramps started to lighten up.

The last loop was what all ultra's turn into sooner or later a battle in the mind on continuing or stopping. Lots of other falls, aches and pains, all part of the game we love. Mr Jangles couldn't be there but his little Shih Zu brother and my wayward daughter were the only ones that braved the rain to see me across the finish line. Prefect.

Finish time was 15:31, 6th over all and good enough for 1st in the old man class.

The rocks and roots on this course really make shoes a major issue. I want to post more in depth about my shoes later.

XtremeTaper

Nice placing. Seems the falls in ultras always lead to cramps. I guess the beer fixed them for you... I will have to remember that! Rocks and rain are tough. If you find a good shoe for those conditions let me know. Innov8 are the best so far that I've found. The worst were those damn Altra Olympus.I had a pair of those once and felt like I was going to slip with every step on wet rocks. Did you score any swag for first master?

In dog beers, I've only had one.

LB2

Xtreme: I think they fixed the Olympus with the latest version. I have had some spectacular spills in them in the past, though. I don't know why they didn't make the damned shoe with the same grip as the Lone Peaks or Superiors from the beginning.

Falls in ultras seem to lead to cramps for me, too. But falls also lead to cramps for me in trail races that are shorter, maybe because I am pushing harder. Those spills lead to some colorful language, too. Nice run; congratulations.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

Nice job in the rain.

+1 to Inov8's.  I wear the Trailroc 255's.  They have a lot of nubs that help with slipping, and I use them a lot on the AT in wet conditions were there are plenty of roots and rocks.

I had a headlamp go out once in rain, and had to do the same thing you did by trying to follow another guy. It was hard to not trip because of the shadows.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Queen of Nothing

Sue

ewww Gator Eye you don't make this run I have been dreaming about sound so good.    nice finish though and good placing.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Daydreamer1

Sounds like a good race and congrats on placing first in masters.  I had just been in that area earlier in the week. Didn't realize that they had a race going on.

NHLA

Congrats1 Great running.

Gator eye

Don't be scared Queenie it was fun the first 30 miles. I think next year I'm going to sign up for the 50k and take all day to enjoy the sites and sounds and finish with a beer I know I can keep down. Screw all this hard running stuff. Lol

DD- there are just a ton of great trails up there for running or mountain biking. My next trip up I'm renting a bike and see how much damage I can do to myself with one of those things.

XT- I got a nice little clay cup to clutter up the mantel as the wife puts it.

Sandy-2

Congrats Gator Eye, great result.  Hope your ankles are ok, sounds rough.  Looking forward to the shoe report.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

12:30am start time? A bit odd eh? But I suppose to allows for daylight finishes.  Hellgate 100k(ish) in VA has a 12:01am start but it's also in December and sometimes is run on ice, snow, whatever.... so not really a good comparison.

Good for you running and such after that cramp.  Couldn't have been easy.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday