Trailer Trash

Your Thoughts? (Read 22 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

The kitty didn't seem aggressive - just holding his/her ground.  Smart for the hikers to back down but unsure why they proceeded around the corner in the first place.

This one though, http://www.msn.com/en-us/video/animals/hiker-records-video-as-mama-bear-and-cubs-follow-him-along-trail/vi-AApgs7h, I find scarier even though the mama never seems aggressive.  But boy is she big!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

LB2

I don't know much about those things. I have seen a couple, but they were always running away from where I was. That cat was exiting when it saw them, but I wouldn't knowingly walk under one when he had the high ground on me. I ran through a really narrow canyon in NM a couple of years ago and got a little uneasy because I was in the bottom of it and the walls were really narrow, not slot canyon narrow but narrow. I turned around and headed back out.

LB2

NorthernHarrier

I fail to see a "terrifying standoff". The cat just climbed to a safe height to give it an advantage. The hikers probably could have just continued on. That being said when they first saw the cat they should have backed away to give the cat space and sat down, ate snacks and rested for a bit and I'm guessing the cat would have just disappeared. Following the cat shooting their video is just classic National park moronic behavior. Give wildlife space. Shouldn't be too difficult to understand.

The archives are full of human stupidity in National parks.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

What NH said on the cat.  I would have sat down and drank a beer and waited it out.  Of course I would be nervous as hell the rest of the hike.    If I knew I could walk the other way and get out I would have done that too.

As for the bear, dam that girl was big!!!!  I think I would have gotten off the trail to see if she would have just passed by not walk down it backwards filming it.  I would have then drank a beer.

As you can tell I usually have a beer on me when I am hiking. 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Daydreamer1

I agree that the cat didn't seem aggressive. I'm not sure if I would have followed around the corner or not.  With a black bear here in PA, yea I would have because I've done that before.  If I would have followed I sure as hell would have made a lot more noise.  I guess the most "terrifying" thing to me was that the hikers didn't seem to have a clue. At one point one asked the other what they should do and neither seemed to know.  It's crazy how many people venture out without knowing what to do.

As far as the bear one goes that would concern me less especially if it's in the lower part of Alaska. Maybe that's stupid of me but some of the bears up there are so used to people that encounters like that are not that uncommon. Can't say for sure what I would have done there but I might have just stepped off the trail and doffed my hat as they waltzed by on their way to the fishing/swimming hole. I'm pretty sure I would not have been walking backwards shooting video of it .

When we were in Alaska we were warned to be much more aware of the moose and especially if they had a calf because they were much more volatile then the bears. Then when we were in Denali we go to see a bunch of stupid tourons trying to get within 10 feet of a cow and her calf. The park ranger that showed up couldn't get the idiots back.

XtremeTaper

Packing a pistol would make the situation less scary, eh?

I probably would have freaked out a bit, more so if solo.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Sandy-2

Is there such a thing as having a bear attack while having a cat encounter?  

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Definitely!!

Is there such a thing as having a bear attack while having a cat encounter?  

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

guess I missed the terrifying part; I'm thinking lucky SOB's getting the video

btw our lion biologists found out that bear spray is also effective on lions (they were tagging kittens and Mama had enough)

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √