Trailer Trash

Pass Mountain 50k RR...and a few cool pictures (Read 46 times)

Occasional Runner

I know you guys will be busy reading Stone Mill reports, so I thought I would share this to break it up a bit.

http://www.slippingslowlyintopain.blogspot.com/2013/11/2013-pass-mountain-50k-another-great.html

Thanks for checking it out.

Kelly

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The scenery looks fantastic. The little attacking cholla things -- much less so.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Birdwell

wow. That looked painful.

fun fact- did you know cholla cactus needles are hollow?

Because of that, when you try to pull them out they create a vacuum and hang on tight.

additional fun fact- I believe the one you got into is called "Teddy Bear Cholla", because it looks fuzzy and cuddly from a distance. it is one of 20+ subspecies of cholla.

Last fun fact- Cholla cactus needles are also slightly barbed (think fish hooks) on the end, again another way to make your life miserable when trying to remove them.

I spent many, many years hiking all over those mountains and I became intimately familiar with cholla.

Get better!

You still are blazing fast even with all the injuries.

p.s. cholla are the reason I always carry a micro-size leatherman tool in my race vest. needle nose pliers are great!

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I was half expecting to read "...and then I got shot in the leg, which slowed me down a little bit for the last 20 miles".  Glad to hear the injuries didn't derail the train.  Congrats on the finish...good luck for CC in LA.

**Ask me about streaking**

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I like the picture of the coyote best.  Nice job again Kelly.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Occasional Runner

wow. That looked painful.

fun fact- did you know cholla cactus needles are hollow?

Because of that, when you try to pull them out they create a vacuum and hang on tight.

additional fun fact- I believe the one you got into is called "Teddy Bear Cholla", because it looks fuzzy and cuddly from a distance. it is one of 20+ subspecies of cholla.

Last fun fact- Cholla cactus needles are also slightly barbed (think fish hooks) on the end, again another way to make your life miserable when trying to remove them.

I spent many, many years hiking all over those mountains and I became intimately familiar with cholla.

Get better!

You still are blazing fast even with all the injuries.

p.s. cholla are the reason I always carry a micro-size leatherman tool in my race vest. needle nose pliers are great!

Yeah, I knew those facts, except for the "Teddy Bear" part. It's amazing how they hook into you. I was pulling with all my strength to get them off me. I was wishing I had needle nose pliers in my pack because there's no easy way to grab those things without a tool. When I got back to the hotel after the race, I found a long needle still embedded deep into my shoulder. I made Jo yank it out. She almost passed out.

AT-runner

Tim

What no PBR's waiting for you at the finish.  That's almost as bad as not filling up your hydration bladder.

Good luck with the ribs. Hope they heal up fast.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Chnaiur

Thanks for sharing! This looks like an awesome race series and a great excuse to make it to AZ. I love it there!

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Thanks for sharing. If I ever get out to AZ I'll be sure to check out that group for races.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LB2

Good report. Good run. These broken ribs may be a blessing in disguise if they kept you going easy on this 50K. You should be well rested for CC. See you in a couple of weeks. I'll have some PBR in case you can't find any in Ville Platte.

LB2

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Ouch and Ouch.  What's next, running with a broken leg, or maybe an eye patch over one eye? Great job.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Yikes. Sorry about all the pain but it was an entertaining read, nonetheless. Smile

RabbitChaser

Great job, Kelly! I can't imagine running a 50K with broken ribs. Congrats on neagtive splitting and finishing 6th overall. Thanks for sharing the RR, it looked like a beautiful course. Those pictures make me long for heading back home to NM!

Occasional Runner

Great job, Kelly! I can't imagine running a 50K with broken ribs. Congrats on neagtive splitting and finishing 6th overall. Thanks for sharing the RR, it looked like a beautiful course. Those pictures make me long for heading back home to NM!

Thanks. I like running in NM too, but it's a totally different feel. The Sonoran desert is a beautiful place and for some unexplained reason, I always run well down there. That's definitely one of the top reasons I keep going back.

jbyram2

Eat to run, Run to eat

Good read, Kelly!

Lets see, 50k ... 6th place... Broken ribs, and cholla bears

You sir, are a FUCKIN' ANIMAL!!!!

Great job!

Stone Mill 50m 11/16/13  12:42

Febapple Frozen 50k 2/22/14  9:20:55

DIrty German 50m 5/18/14 12:06:16