Trailer Trash

the weekender (Read 23 times)

NorthernHarrier

In typical trail race measurements my 25k was about 16.4 miles.   It was a tough one with relentless hills and plenty technical. I came out of it with high spirits finishing in 3:32 good for I think 49th out of 80 some finishers. I'm good with that seeing how I was almost the oldest in there and nursing an injury. Always good to geezer some people.   I think this was my first event in over two years so it gives me something now to build on. Was aware of my calf the whole time but didn't make it any worse.  Did a recovery 5 mile joggy thing in the Arb this morning and actually felt pretty ok.

We're supposed to be getting more snow. Not a great spring by any metric.

Gatsby--good job! Pretty course.

AT--watching golf is about the best way I know to get in a nap. My eyelids get heavy at just the thought.

QOTD-- As a trail wanderer I think high winds are the most dreaded. Having branches coming down within a few feet of you is unnerving.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

congrats to both Gatsby and NH- way to get it done!

got 4.5 miles with Tiny E today, again with the 40-ish lb pack- I'm telling you it's like learning to walk all over again 

we got hit first with a rain squall, later a sleet squall and finally a snow squall- spring in the Rockies!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Thanks everyone on the ideas to save those frozen man bits.  I've thought of the sock and/or Jamie custom variant, but for me it's the wind that does it.  So I may go with Gator eye or warden's idea and try a wiener wind deflector.  Maybe I can come up with something patent worthy.  Next winter.

Sue - How was Saturday's run?

AT - Glad the doc is positive with your progress.  I'd be trilled to have a pacer after 20 hours, but I have to stay upright for 20 hours.  This is all new territory for me, so who knows.  I'll re-post in the Montour thread.  Haven't heard if Daydreamer is still in or not, have you?  I know Jamie is out.  DW will crew, but she's a rookie like me.

warden - When and what is the next hunting season?  Also, since you're the warden, how do you balance that with hunting?

Gatsby - Great job on that 50K!  Beautiful race.  And that's a hellovalot of vert!  Nothin' like a little bouldering mixed into a running race.  Glad the rain stayed away, despite the soft and slippery conditions.

NH - Congrats on the 25K!  I often wonder if they make these races in kilometers because they know the miles won't add up.   Great OA placement, especially with those niggles you're dealing with.  As you say, a good place to build on.

25 this morning.  All this wind talk cursed me.  A strong headwind the first half as I headed northwest.  Felt fine but I think it took more out of me than I thought.  Bonked pretty hard the last few miles.  I found a bench and sat for a while.... a quarter mile from finishing.   Time to watch some golf and nap.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Bert- our next open season is spring bear (4/15), but I got a really nice bear about 25 years ago, so won't be heading out- deer/elk isn't open until mid October, this pack thing is more for training for the Bob Marshall Open, which is now 6 weeks out

I'm retired (well retired from being a game warden) so no interference with hunting season now, before I was retired I would squeeze in a day here and a half day there- I did have an upper hand because I could make the most of those few days as I knew where the critters were and also knew a lot of the landowners, I'd often kill a couple of antelope in a half day, ditto on deer

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Daydreamer1

5.3 Unmotivated miles in the wind.  Last run went great, this one not so good.

QOTD:  I hate/dread/fear  the wind.  Too many dead trees anymore where I run. Everything else can be dealt with by slowing down, running faster or whatever.  There ain't much you're going to do about falling trees.

moonlightrunner

A nice 9 miler yesterday, 10 today. Both we beautiful runs, but both with a friend. That makes it difficult to really take it all in. Looking forward to tomorrow's run all by myself.

Qotd: heat and humidity. Although dropping 100 pounds has made it somewhat more bearable. I do a lot of night runs during times of excessive summer heat.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Sandy-2

Flew to London Saturday night, then did an easy 3mi here on Sunday afternoon. Now trying to sleep Sunday night while watching the Masters finish up.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

9 miles today. Barely spring temps at 43F. I'm beginning to feel like an interloper here because almost all my runs recently have been on short paved loops to prepare for D# which is run on a 400m track. All the nearby tracks are locked up and closed to the public so the closest I have to simulate a track are some short loops ranging from .2 to .3 miles at the local parks.

qotd: If I have to choose just one it would be the cold, but it's the combinations like cold and wind or rain and wind that I really dread. Heat and humidity I can deal with but I have to be careful because I have had some problems with the heat in the past.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Lot’s of chatter this weekend...spring is in the air!!!  Today I ran 26 miles and it was all about why I trail run.

When it all comes together it is awesome, no epic!! The run today had everything, awesome beauty, normal creeks trickles swollen with great waterfalls, the Yuba raging, that was the sights, music provided by the Yuba!! And than there’s the body that just wanted to run it all and my chow if choice on the run was so good I was fully fueled!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

moonlightrunner

Sounds like heaven!

Lot’s of chatter this weekend...spring is in the air!!!  Today I ran 26 miles and it was all about why I trail run.

When it all comes together it is awesome, no epic!! The run today had everything, awesome beauty, normal creeks trickles swollen with great waterfalls, the Yuba raging, that was the sights, music provided by the Yuba!! And than there’s the body that just wanted to run it all and my chow if choice on the run was so good I was fully fueled!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Sounds like heaven!

Yep.  Queen you're going to slay that 50k later this month.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR