Trailer Trash

August Mileage Challenge: Who will run the least miles but have the most fun in August (Read 28 times)

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

I think this is our tentative plan for next March.  I have no desire to do R2R2R and don't want to deal with the logistics of a R2R.

YAS!  But I'd really suggest taking a few more hours and going all the way to Ribbon Falls (26 miles round trip coming up SK or 29 miles round trip coming up BA).  The hike through The Box (past Phantom Ranch) and the beauty of Ribbon Falls is not to be missed.

You people have issues 

AT-runner

Tim

I think this is our tentative plan for next March.  I have no desire to do R2R2R and don't want to deal with the logistics of a R2R.

Agree with FS that Ribbon Falls is worth the extra miles (or mikes if you're Queen).  If you don't want a trip that far, at least stop and get lemonade at Phantom.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

YAS!  But I'd really suggest taking a few more hours and going all the way to Ribbon Falls (26 miles round trip coming up SK or 29 miles round trip coming up BA).  The hike through The Box (past Phantom Ranch) and the beauty of Ribbon Falls is not to be missed.

Fuck me!  26 miles?!   I thought rim to river and back was like 14?

Running is dumb.

AT-runner

Tim

That's if you go to Ribbon Falls.  SK-River-SK is a bit over 14,  SK-River -BA is 16.5 miles (but you need t train for it like it's much longer).

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Hi!  ::beer::

As AT said.  SK down to river and back is 14.  But you will need to cross the river and fill up water as there is no water on SK until you reach the top, only adds less than 1/2 mile though to get water.  And SK is no joke.  7 miles going down and dropping 4800 feet.  Now turn around and climb that back out.

Most people will come back up Bright Angel as it is more gradual of a climb out and there are 3 water refill spots.  That's about 16 miles.

You people have issues 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Boyfriend is opposed to coming back up BA for whatever reason.  Tourists, mule trains, who knows.

How's the trail getting to Ribbon Falls?  Are you doing a lot of climbing to get there?  I don't know if my fucked up body can manage 26 miles anymore, especially in the Grand Canyon.

Running is dumb.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

BA has more tourists no doubt.  Both trails have mule trains.  And I much prefer the views on SK but you'll see all of that going down.  If he's determined to come out SK (yeah, I know another fool who did the same thing on their R2R2R) mentally prepare for a death march out.  March should be really good weather though.

From the river to Ribbon falls is approximately 5.5 miles of mostly flat with a slight climb over those 5.5 miles.  You gain about 1200 feet over those miles.  There are a couple short steeper climbs, nothing like the climb out that's for certain.  And the trail to Ribbon Falls from the river is very smooth unlike SK's "stairs"

One other key note, going down/up SK is basically like accentuated stairs.  There are crossties everywhere to prevent erosion.  BA has some of the crossties but not near as many.  This is what 80% of SK is like.

You people have issues 

Sandy-2

Marathon training officially starts in August and you expect me to have fun? 

Crap.  I'm in the same boat, this month I'm supposed to be piling on the miles for my upcoming run.....  I can't have any fun !!!

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

AT-runner

Tim

Fun fact from yesterday - found a  $20 bill on the trail deep in the woods. Some MTB'er probably dropped it when they reached for a gel or food.  Met my running buddy for a craft beer(s) last night and I treated. So that was fun.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Plying up miles doesn't prevent you from having fun!  The real goal is to try to add as much fun as possible into this month. 

Crap.  I'm in the same boat, this month I'm supposed to be piling on the miles for my upcoming run.....  I can't have any fun !!!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

I know August was supposed to be about fun but, it wasn't for me.  My fun trip to the Grand Canyon never materialized sadly.

But, I did finish with 211 miles.

September has 1 fun trip definitely planned and possibly 2 or 3 more in the works.  And a goal of 225 miles.  Let's see how that goes.

You people have issues 

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Here I come:  2 miles, lots of fun.

Beat that! 

Run for fun.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I did not have fun in August.  Fuck August.

Running is dumb.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I raced and hiked in Montana. That was fun.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I raced and hiked in Montana. That was fun.

me too!  and I agree 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √