Trailer Trash

Mileage Monday (Read 29 times)

Occasional Runner

Why do you think that is?

I think too many people rely on the long run, then backfill with tiny runs that don't actually do them any good. 4 or 5 miles doesn't test your body in any way, but 10-12 puts some abuse on your legs (when done properly). That constant abuse leads to conditioning that serves you well when running ultras. I think it's important to run long on occasion so you can increase endurance and play with proper fueling, but I think its value is largely overstated.

LB2

It wasn't the heat, because the weather was pretty cool on most of the course. I think altitude played a big role in it. Most of the race is run above 11,000'. Also, the trail was extremely technical and hard to follow. I think the finish rate for the 100 was about 38%. Stunning course, though.

Davy Crockett said it was 38% finish rate. I just assumed it was hot because it is so damned hot down here I can't even fathom it not being hot everywhere.

LB2

XtremeTaper

AT Runner - Geez, impossible these days to not be on FB even if one isn't a facebooker! That photo was probably at the tailend of the insult session. I believe it ended with us telling the 15k'rs they were weenies and comparing their definition of "long distance" to Bill Cosby's something or other. Ron mentioned moving this race around again.. maybe early spring with a 50k option.

Mr Jamie - Looked at my log this year. I've had dozen and dozens of double digit runs this year but only 3 training runs in the 16-20 mile range and 3 training runs of 20+. I've raced a 12 hour trail, 70 mile ultra with these numbers. Not sure of the science behind it but with a steady overall volume it seems to be working for me. I think part of it is that when you are running 35-45 miles midweek the occasional long run is not so hard and is of better quality but what do I know. It works for me now so just go with the flow.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

LB2

I like these answers. I would also add that if you believe your training is enough, it is enough. Obviously, that goes back to that mental thing.

LB2

slosh

5 really slow miles due to the heat.  It was 99 and humid.  It's been a relatively cool summer for the most part so I'm not acclimated to the heat yet.  Not that I ever get acclimated to 99 and humid.

Ive enjoyed reading the insight on keys to longer distances.  I've never heard of the total weekly mileage being key (as opposed to long runs).

Defintely have to put in the miles in training to finish (which is all relative).  The other key is that organ between your ears- need to figure out how to control it/trick it/not listen to it.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I think too many people rely on the long run, then backfill with tiny runs that don't actually do them any good. 4 or 5 miles doesn't test your body in any way, but 10-12 puts some abuse on your legs (when done properly). That constant abuse leads to conditioning that serves you well when running ultras. I think it's important to run long on occasion so you can increase endurance and play with proper fueling, but I think its value is largely overstated.

This is intriguing to me.  Why didn't you guys tell me this before? I have had the opposite theory - that by getting in a regular LR and "filling in" with smaller runs (trying to make them quality - not junk miles) - that everything would be ok.  And it might.  But this idea is interesting.  It works for you, XT, couch.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I thought the same thing Jaime...been trying to get "those" long runs in when maybe I could have made up fir them during the week.

This is intriguing to me.  Why didn't you guys tell me this before? I have had the opposite theory - that by getting in a regular LR and "filling in" with smaller runs (trying to make them quality - not junk miles) - that everything would be ok.  And it might.  But this idea is interesting.  It works for you, XT, couch.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

The overall mileage strategy makes you look at runs in the 10-18 mile range as "routine runs", not as "long" runs, and you know how to deal with that distance. Double it, and you're almost halfway through the race. And that then still is not totally unknown territory, but manageable from that perspective. The last 15 to 20 miles of a 100-miler strongly depend on mental strength, and my guess is that with many, many moderately long runs, you strengthen your mind more than with just a few "long" (25+ miles) runs.

slosh: The art is to NOT shut out your brain, but to keep it awake and alert, and to respond to its messages quickly and adequately. Learning to separate "insignificant" from "significant" (with respect to short- and long-term damage to the body and the goal of finishing the race) pains, and to draw the right conclusions FOR YOU. There is no one-fits-all solution to that, and everyone makes his or her own individual decisions during the race. One can certainly learn a lot from others, but during the race, you are on your own and have to make your own judgements on whatever will come up. That is also where experience kicks in, and makes it a bit easier the next time.

Run for fun.

Sandy-2

Took a SRD on Monday.  I'm planning on 5 or 6 up on the single track after work today.

qotd: I agree with the comments about not concentrating on one long run a week (or every 2 weeks) and throwing in smaller runs.  It's better to mix it up more and at lease throw in a mid-week longish run. As some of you may know I'm also a believer in back-to-back 20's instead of say a 30 miler.  But then again I will throw in a 50k or 50 miler if a race fits into the schedule.  As I said, I prefer to mix things up.  All of this also helps with the mental aspects and trying to remember what works ( and is "currently working") nutrition-wise.

Now being where it is more "hilly", I can also put hill runs in the mix too.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL