Trailer Trash

Crazy Mountain traverse trip (not race :) ) report (Read 17 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Ran with the local HURL (Helena Ultra Running League- I think) this past Saturday across the Crazy Mountains.  The Crazy Mountains is one of my favorite haunts- relatively close, stunning views, usually not too many people, but the trails just aren't setup for loop runs. What I usually do is come up with an off-trail section to complete a loop, that's good except every route I've come up with is sketchy at best- sketchy as in falling to your death sketchy .  The Hurler's came up with a great point to point that takes you through some of the nicest the Crazies have to offer, but the two trailheads are almost 100 road miles apart making shuttling a nightmare.  Enter the key pass- divide the group into two in Helena, put your "done with the run" bag into another vehicle and keep your running pack with you.  The two groups go to different trail heads and run the routes in reverse of each other, passing the vehicle keys somewhere in the middle- brilliant!

The route is just shy of 25 miles with close to 7000' of gain (about the same loss).  Our group started at the Cottonwood Ck trailhead and would finish at the Big Timber Ck trailhead.  We got an early start out of Helena (about 5:30 AM) and with only one hiccup, getting pulled over for no lights- whoops .  We got started at about 7:30 and then quickly making another hiccup- I ran past our turnoff for Trespass Ck (with everyone following because I know the Crazies), but luckily discovered my mistake after about 3/4 of a mile- 1.5 bonus miles, could have been much worse.

The trail up Trespass Ck is really nice, a slow, but steady climb with a mix of timber and meadows, mostly runnable (albeit slow).  About 4.5 miles in the first big climb up to the pass above Campfire Lake.  We saw about twenty mountain goats the next mountain over, the Crazies have a large, healthy population of goats.  Looking down into Campfire Lake- it's a little foggy as I made the mistake of carrying my iphone with the lens close to my body, luckily discovered that mistake too.

A couple of long switchbacks took us to Campfire Lake, nice downhill running, but technical so you can't get too crazy.  After skirting the outlet of the lake, another series of shorter (but more) switchbacks we arrive at Moose Lake.

after Moose Lake we run along the Middle Fork of Sweetgrass Ck to the junction of the South Fork, marking about halfway.  We stopped for a little bite and I treated some water for my bladder

Looking up the South Fork

There are a few runnable stretches going up the South Fork, but probably more that aren't- starts climbing pretty good.  Several nice waterfalls along the route.

the crew getting close to the head end of the drainage

a little further up the drainage- Glacier Lake

now we climb in earnest, numerous switchbacks that take us just shy of Conical Peak before we start down into Big Timber Creek- some nice views from near the top

Crazy Peak (far left) and several other high peaks

Looking down Big Timber Creek drainage

It's almost three miles down to Twin Lakes, but it's steep and very technical- so the going is slower than you would think just looking at a map.  Upper Twin Lake

it's about 5 miles to the trailhead from Twin Lakes, all downhill with the trail much less technical, so we were able to stretch things out a bit

about 7-ish hours later we arrived at the trailhead, our "refreshments" waiting 

ahh- it's good to be a trail runner!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

Great write up and really nice photos!!! Yeah, I've had the iPhone lens fog too, knew exactly what you were talking about.

Cool idea about trading keys, I've heard there were a lot of "key parties" way way back in the 60's, but I don't think trail running was involved.  

Anyway, I guess in the middle there is mostly one trail (along a ridge?), so there's not much of a chance you'd miss the other folks for the "key handoff"?

tbd.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Great photos! I hope that's the type of views I can expect to see at Elkhorn.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

they still have key parties don't they?  

you'll have great views in the Elkhorns, but the mountains aren't nearly this craggy- the Crazies looks like something out of the Alps (at least what I picture of the Alps )

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Daydreamer1

24-25 miles in less than 8 hours in that terrain is moving along pretty nicely.

AT-runner

Tim

Nice photos and write up.

How many folks did this in total?  Did you get some ribbing for missing the turn?

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

We were moving along pretty good. A couple of long climbs slowed things down, as did the scenery 

Had eight folks total (four and four). Not too bad a ribbing, of course a little embarrassing as I was touted as knowing the Crazies like the back of my hand 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

LB2

Nice run. Do you ever drink untreated water from streams up high? I am just curious. I know that on the Wasatch course and the Big Horn course there are springs that have pipes in them (I have not run those races but have heard of the springs). Of course, a spring coming from rocks is different from a running stream even if it originates from a spring. Not many places around my neck of the woods where I would try that. Although, as a kid, we would drink from a couple of springs that we knew about. That was good water.

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Yup- if it's coming directly out of the side of the mountain I'll drink freely. If there is any chance of animal contamination I treat. I know a lot of folks that don't bother to treat water in the mountains, but it only takes a couple of minutes to treat it, so I do

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I'm guessing the 60s just hit Wyoming!

they still have key parties don't they?  

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Beautiful Mike...how cool that you have a group with their shit together to organize a point to point with a key change.    may try to get our group to do that.  When I thought I might be single my dream after I retired was to take a trip around the US meeting up with all my fomites and having them take me running on their favorite trails.   I would love to go on a running tour in your neck of the woods.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Sue- it's Montana, where men are men (and sheep are nervous); we've just not seen any reason to not continue on with a great 60's tradition 

Mike

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

If you're trying to convince us that Montana is the best state for trail running, hiking, "exchanging keys", or anything outdoors, you are doing a good job.  Keep it up!

Thanks for sharing.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday