Trailer Trash

American River 50 RR (Read 65 times)

Occasional Runner

Here is my RR from the race this weekend. I used this as my last long training run before the Zion 100 and it served that purpose well.

http://www.slippingslowlyintopain.blogspot.com/2013/04/american-river-50-asphalt-assault.html

Thanks for checking it out!

Kelly

Sandy-2

Nice job Kelly (and Jo of course).  Nice job coming back from that dark place.

Looks like a "fun" run to do at least once.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Birdwell

Good job! sounds like you're ready to tackle zion once again.

jonferg67

Endless trails

Another great performance by team Agnew!

It doesnt sound like the pavement was much

of issue.

Low_O2

Nice Job, and another nice RR! I agree, in my limited race experience it seems there can be a lot of time wasted at the aid stations.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Great race, Kelly, congratulations!

Good thing you kept the pizza at bay until the moment was right. One never knows what bad food will do to you.

Nice recovery from the dip, and strong finish, very inspiring!

Run for fun.

Great race report.  I was at Rattlesnake cheering on all the runners and waiting for friends to pass.  One of my friends showed up at Rattlesnake and tells me his pacer baled on him before the race.  Since he was looking so bad at this point and dealing with some bad hip pain, I decided to pace him from Rattlesnake.  Definitely a brutal last 3 miles to a long race.  Congrats to you on a great finish.

XtremeTaper

Good race... sub9 finish is nothing to sneeze at especially so soon after a 100. Not sure how you do it. You are like a recovery machine.

Oh, as to making quick work of aid stations. Time really does add up. At LaborPains 12 hour last year I tried to be very vigilant and used an every other lap strategy after 25 miles to reload ice, get a quick snack or lube job, and I'd be at 2-3 minutes just like that. It cost me a 5 mile lap.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Occasional Runner

XT- I think aid station strategy is something that ultra runners tend to overlook. When I used to do triathlons, people always stressed the need for training for the transitions. In a tri, you only transition twice, but in an ultra, you may hit aid stations 10-20 times. If you're not careful, that can add HOURS to a race.

Uh oh... now what?

XT- I think aid station strategy is something that ultra runners tend to overlook. When I used to do triathlons, people always stressed the need for training for the transitions. In a tri, you only transition twice, but in an ultra, you may hit aid stations 10-20 times. If you're not careful, that can add HOURS to a race.

Going into Le Grizz last year I was just about totally out of confidence.  It was more from acknowledging some courses can no longer be considered than anything else, but the feeling did intrude on aid stops.  I was going to skip the aid stations and just have Kathy stop every three miles.  She argued for four miles.  I said no.  In the end the 10:19ish fifty would have been 9:55ish if I had listened to her.  On the way home as we dissected the run the confidence had returned enough to understand (admit) that was way too many stops.

Good running Kelly--I can remember the course enough to make your report come alive.  Thank you.

Watoni

Great job! AR off the list!

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Boy you'd think pizza would be a safe bet.  Entertaining race report as always...looking forward to another one in a couple weeks.

**Ask me about streaking**

Great stuff Kelly.  Pizza always gives me issues when I eat it the night before a run. Something about all that cheese. Those miles spent wishing for a bathroom suck. Great rr as usual.

So glad I got the chance to see you!  Funny I didn't realize that was Jo calling my name, but I assumed (correctly) you were WAY ahead of me.  I really enjoyed the race and thought it was extremely well organized and supported.  That said, can't say I'm a fan of that damn pavement in the beginning!

Looking forward to reading your Zion report Smile

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I apparently have the opposite strategy regarding aid stations.  I linger and can't seem to decide what I want to sample.  I try some of this and some of that.  Still trying to decide if that works for me. Big grin

Thanks for the RR.  Great time!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday