Trailer Trash

Hudson Highlands 100k (Read 26 times)

I was browsing ultrasignup.com recently and found an intriguing new race:

http://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=27175

It seems like it's new for 2014. Almost sounds like a fatass since it's a free entry with minimal course markings, but there will be aid stations. They ask you to bring some food. Kind of like a TARC race.

Anyway, this is definitely on my radar for 2015. I know some of you live in that area or nearby, and the main reason I'm interested is because I grew up around there. It should be a gorgeous course.

There's 5 spots left for this year....I am nowhere near ultra shape otherwise I'd think about it.

SillyC

I spent my 20s in the area, hiking every weekend, so I know the course.  I've been on all of it.  And it looks awesome...  but...

It also sounds in a way sort of miserable.  Those trails will be crowded with day hikers of all shapes, sizes, and speeds.  And there you are trying to make good time.

The North Face runs some races during the first week of May, among them a 50 mile which I think covers some of the same trails.  I did this race last year and cannot say enough good things about it.  It's well supported and well organized, and I didn't trample too many day hikers.  Though I can say one sort of bad thing about it -at 14 hours, the cutoff for the 50m is aggressive.  It took Nikki Kimball 10 hours to complete the course.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I am thankful that that race is way to close to Manitou's Revenge race date for me to consider .  Good find, thanks for the heads up...probably 45 minutes from my place.  If anyone does it, ask me about crewing/pacing.

**Ask me about streaking**

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Yes good find.  I think that distance is intriguing.  End june - prime black bear season.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

SillyC

Yes good find.  I think that distance is intriguing.  End june - prime black bear season.

Are there bears in Harriman now?  I know there were a lot in North Jersey when I left (08), but they were still saying none in Harriman and Bear Mountain State Park.

jonferg67

Endless trails

I'm down with attempting it 2015. Running with, or away from bears should help

our pace too.

Are there bears in Harriman now?  I know there were a lot in North Jersey when I left (08), but they were still saying none in Harriman and Bear Mountain State Park.

Yes, there are bears in the vicinity.  My dad lived in Pomona/ Mount Ivy for a couple years, and there is a beautiful trail that runs on the ridge there. I've run it a few times. It ends at the Palisades Parkway, right near exit 13.  The Mount Ivy Diner is right off the highway, right next to the trail.  Once My dad was eating at the diner with my brother, and they were forced to stay inside the diner because there was a black bear rummaging through the diner's dumpster.

Technically that is South Mountain County Park, or High Tor State Park. But it is super close to Harriman.

I'm down with attempting it 2015. Running with, or away from bears should help

our pace too.

Awesome. I am sad to say in all my years of living in the area I never did much hiking or running through Harriman/Bear Mtn. I was not outdoorsy until after college.

SillyC - I've thought about doing the North Face one for a few years too. It always seems to fall on an inconvenient weekend for me. Thanks for the rec.

I'm quite intrigued by the 100k distance. It seems a lot more manageable to me than a 100M.