Trailer Trash

Call me Captain (Read 57 times)

valerienv

Thread killer ..

I volunteered for our local race and was given the position of Captain of an aid station . Most everything is provided for me but they said be creative and maybe add something different than the usual stuff . It's a 50 and it might be hot 90+ but dry desert air , I will be at the bottom of a big climb both ways,  they come down to me then back up , this is also at elevation 7,000' at mile 23 of the race  . What have you had that was really good and what sounds good under those conditions ?  it's a smaller race I don't think I'll even have 100 runners so I'm open to even labor intensive stuff . Thanks

XtremeTaper

I recommend a Mr. Softee truck. Soft serve ice cream when it's hot. Either that or some nice big chunks of fruit like strawberries or watermelon. I am a sucker for pudding as well. More solid food.. hmm.. 23 miles in.. halfway done almost, close to lunchtime perhaps... sliders on soft rolls with the basic fixin's.

Have fun out there captain!

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Ultra Cowboy

Pick a theme:  Hawaiian is popular with grass Skirts and inflatable palm trees... Or maybe a Saharan Oasis....

I'd Say ICE would be the most welcome thing.

How about Chocolate Brownies?

Got a blender?  Gatorade Slushies?

WYBMADIITY

Save

valerienv

Thread killer ..

What about Ensure smoothies ? I can get a battery powered blender and I will have ice . I will also be in a fairly remote location so I am limited to what I can pack into my truck .

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

90+ degrees? How about a pool to dip in?!?

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Popsicles!  You should be able to keep them frozen by keeping them in a cooler on dry ice.  But if that's too much of a hassle, then fruit would be good, especially watermelon (assuming, of course, it's in season).

XtremeTaper

Popsicles!  You should be able to keep them frozen by keeping them in a cooler on dry ice.  But if that's too much of a hassle, then fruit would be good, especially watermelon (assuming, of course, it's in season).

Popsicles.. yes!!

Some dudes passed me during the BullRunRun50 one year while I was enjoying a cherry popsicle around mile 40. A few minutes later after consuming my treat I trail killed them on a nice little uphill section. During a hot Boston one year (2004) the freeze pops the small children were handing out from along the course were such a huge treat.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

valerienv

Thread killer ..

Thank you for all the suggestions so far , please keep them coming .

I love popsicles but one of the other aid station does them already , I have always been so happy to see him on that race,  he is at the bottom of a exposed big sandy hill . The sun is beating down on you , no shade anywhere , he hands you a popsicle and you can eat it while you march up the sandy hill ......

Sandy-2

I agree with ICE !!!  Lots of it for pouring into bottles/packs, or putting in hats or bandanas.

The posicles are good too, you can never have too many of those.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL