Trailer Trash

AR 50 (Read 30 times)

Dirtrnr

We don't need no stinkin

Alright, enough of being lazy and finding excuses to either cut a run short or to skip the run completely.  I decided to run AR 50 next year and have to get my ass in gear and get the miles in.  I just started doing back to back long runs (16-6) this past weekend, and I was wiped out at the end of Sunday's run.  I know I went out too fast Sunday, if you do back to back long runs how do you run them, how much slower is your second run than a normal long run (not back to back)?  I know this depends on terrain and trail condition, but all things equal, same course or path for the runs.  I usually run long runs (20+) about a minute per mile slower than mid distance (10-20), is 2 minutes per mile too much slower, more walking (fairly flat course and non-technical) both days this weekend.

LB2

I try to take it easier on the first day and push a little harder on the second day, usually 20 and 20. I find that B2B long runs take an awful lot out of me when I go easy the first day and hard (relatively speaking) the second day. In fact, about three weeks before I ran a 50 miler, I ran B2B 20's and was more tired after that than I was after the 50 miler. I don't really like to do B2B long runs; I would rather do one really long run every other weekend or even once a month of marathon distance to 50K with 18 to 20 milers once a week in between those longer long runs. It is just so time consuming to put those long runs in on a regular basis. If you race a lot, those races really serve as great training to keep building on the endurance, but I only race a couple of times a year. So, I finish a race, take a break, start over.

LB2

XtremeTaper

16-6 does not qualify as b2b long runs but if you were dragging at the end of Sunday's run you likely ran too fast/hard both days. My recommendation is that when you are doing the first run you need to get into the mindset of slower is better. Walking would depend on your terrain I suppose. So get it in your head to stop staring at the watch and pace and just slow down that first run. Try to find a pace that feels like you can manage all day. The next day you will have another run so there is no hurry.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

AT-runner

Tim

Agree with the above.  If you were toast on the 6 miler, it was probably due to the effort of the 16 miler.

I like to do a LR on Saturday and 50-75% of that LR distance on Sunday.  My Saturday run is usually very easy pace, and I'll "try" to go faster on Sunday, especially at the end of the run.  I would say that Saturday's run is easily 2 min / mile slower than my "regular" runs.

I know that the second day 50-75% isn't technically a B2B LR, but it works for me to stay injury free.  When I tried 20-20, I had a hard time recovering, but I'm no youngster, so everyone must fine what works for them.

Good luck.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I'm also of the "half the distance" on Sunday school of thought  , my Saturday long run is at a slower pace, my Sunday run I try to pick it up a bit- my mid-week runs (shorter distance 5-6 miles) I'll tend to run faster than either of the weekend runs

I feel the long run is mainly about time on your feet; I also try to make it my "fun" run- trying new places, routes, etc- this keeps the motivation factor high

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √