Trailer Trash

Boxing Daily (Read 13 times)

Sandy-2

Today is a SRD for me.  I need it.

qotd: Today is Boxing Day (it’s a British kinda thing).  Do you have today off or are taking this week off?  Me, I’m at work this week since I used up all my vacation over the summer months. I typically take this week off so it is a bit weird being here. It’s really slow around there though.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

AT-runner

Tim

Cold windy run on the AT with DW this morning. Windchill was in the single digits.

When we parked the car, there was a man and two college aged kids looking at a map. Talked to them a bit and turned their map around to show them where they were. The two kids were going out for two nignts. The trailhead is not directly on the AT, so I told them how to get there and pointed out where they could get water.  The dad asked for any good advice, and I said “when you think you have enough wood, you only have half of what you need” and “don’t get so hot that you sweat”.  We did 8 miles as an out and back, and didn’t see them on our return. They either went South instead of North, or I scared them and then went home with the dad. Not the best weather to be testing out your skills for the first time.

QOTD: see above. Off today. Back to work tomorrow.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

Nice day around these parts, but rather chilly at 24 degrees. Wind is light so I'll try to get out for a short jaunt. Probably 5-6 miles.

QOTD:  Well I should be off now until Saturday which would be normal for me. However, I'm working tomorrow at my one part time job. Was supposed to only be a 8 hour shift but the medic I'm relieving needs to get out early so I'll go in early. In a way I'm off today since I got out at 7 am.

A couple of the guys put up a nice Festivus Pole yesterday. Anyone else have one?

It all started out rather innocently when my partner and I decided to go help another unit out at a call. We then got one of our own and were heading to that.  She was driving rather slowly because of the wet, possibly icy roads. Of course the wind was blowing nicely all morning to. So we were going up a mountain surrounded by woods and just as we reached the top I was looking at the computer which is on the dash just to the center of the vehicle. As I looked back straight to the front there was a quick flash of a shadow then a crash, boom and a shower of glass and my view changed to this.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/26001292_1689455357760879_3946894147177368135_n.jpg?oh=89c30a05a500af6ffd391a632176da64&oe=5AFA31E5

Yep, the white spot above the spider webbing is a hole.

Image may contain: tree, outdoor and nature

No automatic alt text available.

If the visor hadn't been down some of that glass would have been in my hat and face .  Not really the type of shower that you want to get.

So they brought us another unit to take the patient to the hospital in and that guy went back to the scene of the crime to get pictures.  When we got back to the station this is what we found.

Image may contain: people sitting, screen and indoor

The piece that we think actually hit the windshield.

Image may contain: living room, screen and indoor

And the main piece, now adorning the station as the Festivus Pole .

Since this employer doesn't like us to post identifying pictures I won't post a picture of the roof of the unit, but there is a nice dent in the sheet metal that some people think might total it.

This piece is no more than 5-6 inches across at the most.   Just glad it wasn't a big tree, something like 12 inches plus.  Just goes to show that size does matter .

GC100k

Daydream: Wild tree story. Wow.

For me, 2 hours on the AT this morning. Wore my new hydration vest. I think I like it. Didn't even notice I was wearing it. I didn't get thirsty so I didn't actually drink out of it, but I wore it to see how it worked and it seemed to work great.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

we’re a balmy 7 degrees and that’s going to be our high

fortunately there is no wind to speak of, so I might bundle up and 3-4 miles in after work OR I might wuss out and go to the gym and get on the dreadmill.

qotd: no rest for the wicked here 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

runtraildc

Didn't run yesterday as it never got any warmer than minus 15 F with the wind chill. Did some much needed yoga instead. Today the forecast was the same but the gym was open so got a quick run on the treadmill with plans to return. Probably not going to happen since I've seemed to have caught the same crud that is epidemic here.

qotd- NA

Yikes daydreamer, that's scary!  But sounds like it could have been worse.  And hey, at least it wasn't your car.  

Walked 5 miles this morning with DH, ran another 6.7 miles this afternoon.  Sunny with temps in the 50s.

QOTD: I took off today from work but I'll be there tomorrow and the rest of the week.  I usually work btw Christmas and new years, and save the time off for later.  It's quiet at work, but I need to get some stuff done plus I'm covering for a couple other people.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Got in 6.5 early and very cold miles today.

AT - this is really not the kind of weather to be testing out camping skills.  I really hope we don't hear about a couple young kids freezing to death out there!

DD - holy pole/stick/branch or whatever that is! Scary.

QOTD: I took the week off.

Have a great evening/week/whatever...

My favorite day of the week is RUNday