Trailer Trash

Old Faithful Friday (Read 15 times)

LB2

I have 20 miles or 4 hours scheduled for today. But I decided to wait until later in the day when it heats up. I have been doing most of my runs in the dark, and I really need to abuse myself in the sun a little bit.

QOTD: Not counting biting insects, Have you ever been stung by multiple swarming insects, like hornets, yellow jackets, wasps, etc.? And physical affect did it have on you?

Yes, but not while running. I ended up running, but I started out doing yard work on both occasions. Both times it was yellow jackets. I have been stung by wasps, but usually it is just a random thing. The yellow jackets attack in a swarm, and the sting is unbelievably painful. My wife got hit by 7 last weekend. She did not have an allergic reaction to the stings, but she did take Benedryl and laid down for the rest of the day. That was the same result for me, but I think we develop allergic reactions to things sometimes. I seem to have developed some allergies in recent years. I don't want to find out if I have developed one to yellow jackets. Anyway, last night I went out and gave them a reverse geyser of gasoline down their entry hole in the ground nest. They seem to be highly allergic to gasoline. Smile

LB2

NorthernHarrier

Back to civilization. Despite my hopes for a longer solo canoe trip I can never get beyond the 8 day mark. Longer trips are so much easier with a partner to split the chores, paddling, and hauling. Decent weather and plenty of fish but too much sun, wind, bugs, and deet. I'd take a swim to wash the sweat and bug spray off then have to reapply as soon as I dried off. Got in to my cabin last night so I'm roughing it in style now. I'd also like to do a shout out to whoever invented the toilet seat. Humans were not meant to squat in the mosquito filled woods.

I'm gonna try for 10-12 on the trails this morning after putting away equipment and do some laundry.

QOTD--Twice I have been attacked by swarms of yellow jackets. 7-8 stings each time. Certainly not like you would see on an episode of Rescue 911 but painful enough. Can't really remember too much about any after affects. Luckily I have no reactions other than the immediate pain and numbness as I usually get stung by individual bees a dozen times a year. Life in the outdoors I guess.

XtremeTaper

Seven miles last night with the Lady on the trail at Green Lane reservoir. The easy side of the lake. Trashed left knee not too bad last night. Didn't really do any walking. Mulling this whole scope thing over in my head. Should I stay or should I go, meaning have the procedure in 2 weeks or not? I am going to run a bit more in the next 10 days to sort it out.

QOTD: Well, less than 2 weeks ago trimming a shrub in one of the garden beds, just minding my own business hacking away with the clippers and I got bit pretty hard by 2 or 3 yellow jackets on the ankle. There was a nest in the ground at the base of the plant. I guess they took offense to my intrusion. I was in shorts, no socks, no shirt as it was warm and humid so not well protected. I guess I was lucky just a few got me. Finished up the trim job later in sweatpants, long sleeve, and gloves.

LB - Have a good steady 20

NH - Welcome back to the world. I think.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

A short run last night and then again this morning.  Getting ready to start packing for the beach! 

LB - enjoy your heat run!

QOTD: Thanks for helping me to remember have flashbacks about a time when I was a kid, stepped onto a wooden step causing a large beehive to be disrupted, and become engulfed in a tornado of bees.  I really thought I had blocked that memory out.  But not much since then.  

Have a great day/weekend!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Daydreamer1

Another day of not being sure if I'll do a bike ride or a run or how long any of it will be.  Right now it's easy to get out on the bike but I'm just not motivated to run. If I do run it will be only 5-6 miles. Supposed to get a lot of rain here today according to inaccuweather, but so far the radar isn't showing anything.

NH - Welcome back to the world. Sounds like a good trip, minus the bugs that is.

Humans were not meant to squat in the mosquito filled woods.

I can just imagine what the skeeters were saying.  "Hurry up girls he's getting ready to drop his shorts, yummy"  .

QOTD:  I don't think I've ever been hit by more then one or two at the same time.  I typically don't get stung too often which I think is mostly luck. We have a lot of bees around here that are always trying to build nests in the house or the sheds. They are rarely very aggressive with me.  DD cleaned some out last night.  I had a hornet sting me twice a long time ago. Arm swelled up to twice it's normal size. Took some Benedryl and got  wired.

As far as developing allergies to something that we may not have been allergic to in the past, that certainly is possible.  I've seen more then one person with a bad reaction including an anaphylactic  reaction that had been stung multiple times before.  Our body needs to be exposed to the allergen at least once for  it to be sensitized.

FWIW, It now seems like I'm getting reactions to poison oak . Never used to bother me but after cutting a bunch of it the past 2-3 days I'm itching and have some nice rashes. Of course that may be because I was pulverizing it with the weedeater and cutting the vines with the chain saw spraying sap everywhere.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I want to be NH when I grow up

a nice 5.5 miles on the trails early

two sets of 100 meter lunges unbroken

qotd: years ago when I was logging, I hit a bald face hornet nest (not on purpose!) and I can assure you that they put the hurt on me-bad; knock on wood just the occasional yellow jacket

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

Rest today and short run tomorrow after a funeral for a friends brother. He had a heart attack at age 49. Way too young, but smoked and was overweight.   He had a mild heart attack last November and didn't change anything in his life.

LB - have fun with the hot long run.

NH - welcome back.

XT - When I tore my meniscus, my ortho, who is a runner, told me I didn't have to have my meniscus fixed, unless I wanted to run, then I had to have it fixed.

Jamie - enjoy Chincoteague. Just saw pictures of the Pony Swim.

DD - do we have poison oak in PA?  Thought Eastern poison oak was further south of us.

Warden - funny, most of us want to be you when we grow up.

Gator - hope your injury heals up/ Good luck.

QOTD:  Good timing. Got stung by a wasp on Wednesday at the office. They were making a hive under my office awning and I knocked it down and one of them with radar got me in the left hand.  Came back the next day with spray and they're gone now.  I just get minor swelling so more angry than a problem.  DW got hit by yellow jackets 2 years ago and had 5 or 6 stings on her hand. It swelled up like a balloon and we had to get her rings cut off.  Stayed swollen for several days,, so she stays away from the flying insects now. My brother has the family record. He ran over a nest with a lawnmower just after moving into a new house.  They counted 62 stings and he had to stay in hospital overnight and be monitored because his heart rate was up and down.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Seven miles with a nice group of people and my mutts...

QOTD: Never a swarm but did get stung once and my hands and feet went crazy with itching...I was going insane.  We were out hiking and I actually took off my shoes so I could itch my feet while we walked.  We finally hit a cold creek that I put my hands and feet in and the itching died down.  Later my tongue swelled, but not so much.

We were in the Baja with the trailer on the beach and my husband saw a dark shadow moving down the beach.  He yelled to shut all the doors and windows in the trailer.  This huge swarm of bees came to our camp and the queen landed in our wood pile.  Our wood pile was still very large and it was covered in these bees (NH it was what you see on TV).  It was our last night but eventually we realized that as long as we didn't bother the wood pile we could co-exist with them.  No fire that night.

XT:  Seems every time you decide to finally get something fixed or even go to the doctor things start getting better.  I hope that is the case for you.

Jamie:  Enjoy your beach runs.

DD:  More like hurry up he's about to drop his shorts; and then watch out  incoming!!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Queen of Nothing

Sue

or you and without the growing up part!!

I want to be NH when I grow up

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

2.5 more years, 2.5 more years and then look out!!! 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

jonferg67

Endless trails

My slothfulness continues. I ran a few miles Weds after work and it was

a struggle. I decided to give myself a couple days and add more protein

to my diet. I plan to suit up tomorrow morning and try for something

longish, even if I have to hike a bit.

Anyone ever hear of Nuts.com, I just got a pound of whey protein

powder for $8.99. I know there a different qualities of whey, but I'm

not sure why Hammer whey protein powder is $39.95 for just over

a pound. Am I being taken?

DD: I've heard recently from a few people that they've developed allergies

later in life.

QOTD: I had a wasp (or was it a hornet?) bite this summer but nothing

like a swarm. I ran a race a few years ago where a runner disturbed

a wasp nest and several people were stung and a woman had to be

evacuated due to allergic reaction. The RD showed his stuff by running out

to the nest and taking care of it.

Daydreamer1

Just got back in from a 36.8 mile bike ride. I'm falling in love with the beast again.

DD - do we have poison oak in PA?  Thought Eastern poison oak was further south of us.

Now that's a good question.  The stuff that's in my woods looks different than the  small poison ivy that we get around the house. Leaves are shaped somewhat alike but are also different in some ways. Maybe it's just because the vines are so much bigger. Did a little research and some sites agree with you that Oak is further south while others say it's  across most of the country with the exception of the western states. . We had Oak in Maryland, at least what the grownups claimed was Oak, and that was always in the woods on big vines.  Gonna have to do some more research.

Daydreamer1

My slothfulness continues. I ran a few miles Weds after work and it was

a struggle. I decided to give myself a couple days and add more protein

to my diet. I plan to suit up tomorrow morning and try for something

longish, even if I have to hike a bit.

Anyone ever hear of Nuts.com, I just got a pound of whey protein

powder for $8.99. I know there a different qualities of whey, but I'm

not sure why Hammer whey protein powder is $39.95 for just over

a pound. Am I being taken?

Nothing wrong with a hike. Lately I don't feel like running either. No problem getting out on the bike and just going out for a hike sounds good to. Just didn't have the time today to drive to a decent trail for a hike so it was the bike.

I think a lot of Hammer products are overpriced.  I use Beverly International Ultimate Muscle Protein and get it from DPSnutrition.com for about $32-33.00 for 2 lbs.

LB2

That sucked!!! But I got it done.

LB2