Trailer Trash

Back to work Mondaily (Read 36 times)

Occasional Runner

Waiting in the Delta Sky Club for a delayed flight to Philly. Didn't run this morning due to my early flight, but will run long sometime during the week. Should probably taper for my road marathon this weekend. Yeah....a ROAD MARATHON.

QOTD: Born to Run is so packed full of lies, it should be found in the FICTION section of the bookstore. McDougal is a pretty creative guy when it comes to apply accuracy. Run and Eat is probably my current favorite.

NorthernHarrier

8 miles this morning out at Blue Mounds. I knew it was time to quit when my toes started catching half the rocks and roots. My streak continues yet though--that is that I have yet to tip over there. Maybe because I am more focused on the technicality of the trail but I have tipped over everywhere else plenty. Of course the one time I mountain biked there I did end up on my head. Helmets are a good thing.

Yesterday I went into the closet and pulled out some shoes that had been in a box for a couple months. Saucony Xodus 3. Very nice shoe for my first impression. Did about 7 miles with a number of tempo type intervals. Think they are gonna work very nice.

Big weekends and congrats to TnC, Jamezilla, and Tmotmo. Well done guys.

QOTD-- DPC, I finally got around to Into The Wild. I like Krakauer's writing in general but just not sure what to make of it. A lot of words dedicated to some non-conformist knucklehead I think. I might reread it.  Anyway my daughter who is a voracious reader keeps telling me to read Unbroken. She says it is outstanding. So I guess that is next.

Snowdenrun

Hello!

I think today will be a rest day. Last week was my highest ever mileage week and I think I could use a break. I was hoping to pack in some times to get above 150 for the month since I slacked off at the beginning of the month, but my body is tired. Numbers are just numbers I'll get higher next month, no use getting hurt.

QOTD: I've only ever read the first half of Born to Run. I enjoyed it while I was reading it, but somewhere along the line I set it down and haven't picked it back up again.

AT-runner

Tim

Anyway my daughter who is a voracious reader keeps telling me to read Unbroken. She says it is outstanding. So I guess that is next.

Unbroken is well worth the read.  I always consider it a war story, but running is a big part.  As with Sea Biscuit, it was very hard for me to put this book down.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

DigDug2

I finally got around to Into The Wild. I like Krakauer's writing in general but just not sure what to make of it. A lot of words dedicated to some non-conformist knucklehead I think.

This was my reaction as well.  I really enjoyed Into Thin Air, but Into the Wild left me completely cold:  seemed like Krakauer was romanticizing this self-absorbed, self-destructive kid who really offered very little to admire, respect or even be interested in.

NorthernHarrier

This was my reaction as well.  I really enjoyed Into Thin Air, but Into the Wild left me completely cold:  seemed like Krakauer was romanticizing this self-absorbed, self-destructive kid who really offered very little to admire, respect or even be interested in.

Perfect description, I think.

Tmotmo44: Congrats on finishing. If it was all flat was there at least some good scenery? There is a flat 100M in northern PA that I thought about trying. It's on a rail trail through a canyon so there is nice scenery to keep you occupied somewhat.

Thanks. Was the c & o canal. Had some ok scenery but it being all flat destroyed my legs. I feel like I would have been able to run more if it was rolling terrain.

dpc3

I took the book to be exactly that Krakuer retelling a story about a self-absorbed, self-destructive kid who really offered very little to admire, respect or even be interested in.

Brian Runner

Rest day. Back at it tomorrow.

Birdwell

Evening folks!

after lot's of advice from many smart people, I'm going to take a few unscheduled rest days.

I'll be focusing on some cross training in the mean time (biking, rowing, swimming).

QOTD: never read a running book, unless Steven King's "the Long Walk" counts.

Uh oh... now what?

It was a weirdly relaxing run, with one diversion of looking for a pileated that had to be

right in front of me laughing at my blindness.  I never found it.  I played with pushing

on the ups today.  The winds were steady at 30 with gusts to 45ish.  That makes for

a lot of tree music--groans and grunts--one pair, a madrona and a western hemlock

started as a cello and end up as a scalded cat violin by the time their chorus ended.

The trees that lean on each other have long bare spots, some from years and years

of playing when the wind rises and comes from a certain place.

QOTD:  Favorite... none and all?  Four quick grabs...

Feet in the Clouds : A Tale of Fell-Running and Obsession, Richard Askwith -- he comes so

very close to capturing what we go through out there.

Meditations From the Breakdown Lane : Running Across America, James E. Shapiro -- visualize

Interstate 80 (eastbound) for a course.  It helps if you have driven it.

Running Wild : An Extraordinary Adventure of the Human Spirit, John Annerino -- this might be

the seed for my underlying love of deserts and open space running (if I could somehow leave the PNW).

Becoming Odyssa : Adventures on the Appalachian Trail, Jennifer Pharr Davis -- She captures the

day-to-day boredoms, anxieties, joys, disappointments, all things you find on a long walk, she gave me

so many pauses to see where she was.  A terrible cliché, but I was not looking forward to her finish.  I

found myself sitting on the plaza in Santiago not wanting to take those last few steps again.  Everyone

should have the gift of one long walk.

I want:  John McDonnell: The Most Successful Coach in NCAA History  -- the story of cross country

the track and field program at the University of Arkansas.  The most successful athletic program (on the

basis of national championships) in collegiate history.