Trailer Trash

Beaverhead 55k (Read 12 times)

Question for Mt Warden, Northern Harrier, and anyone else who spends time on mountains:

For Beaverhead next weekend, the weather forecast calls for high temp of 96 on Saturday in Salmon, ID.  That's at about 4,000 feet.  What should I expect temperature-wise up at 8,000-10,000 elevation if it's 96 in Salmon?   Is there any sort of rule of thumb about correlating temps to elevation?  I'm planning on bringing layers but unsure about how layered up I might need to be.

Thanks for any advice.

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

NorthernHarrier

Gatsby,  I'm at my daughter's place in the greater Salt Lake City metro right now after a few days of mountain running(trudging) in Colorado. I had spectacular weather there with some epic snowfield traverses and glissading. Now a day of rest and a shower and I'll be heading into Idaho's Sawtooth mountains and I'll pop out and actually spend Thursday night in Salmon. I haven't looked too much at the forecast other than pretty warm at base elevations. As a rule of thumb I would always just approximate 3-5 degree drop per 1000' of elevation. A quick google shows that "they" say an avg. of 3.5F per 1000'. In general that's probably fairly accurate. You always have to remember though that certain ranges basically make their own weather and there will probably be a brief late afternoon thunderstorm or something which will cool things down even more at least briefly.

If I had stayed in I would not be bringing any added layers at all with the exception of possibly my light rain jacket but I tend to run hot anyway so I would welcome getting a little cool and wet up on the scree section. When you drop down it will be fast and steep so expect to be very hot at the finish.

Good luck and have a great time. If you get into Salmon on Thursday I'll buy you a beer at Bertram's. 

AT-runner

Tim

Don't now about this mountain, but as NH said 3-5° per 1000' is about right.  So with base temp, you't looking at maybe a 30° drop at elevation, so probably not going to need layers, but a light jacket.

When I've had some temp drops, with elevation, I put on gloves and the rest of me feel good.  Any rain or wind, and then add a light jacket.

Good luck, and we'll need a RR.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

without cloud cover, it will be very warm even at elevation- remember too the sun is much more intense at elevation- good hat and lots of sunscreen

the race starts early so it's likely to pretty cool at the start (mid 40's- 50-ish as a guess), but it won't last too long

I agree no extra layers probably needed- maybe arm gaiters, but would most definitely pack a light windshirt or rain jacket

good luck and take some pics!!!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

Based on the info above, it'll still be in the 80s at the top. I'd perhaps bring a super light windbreaker, but nothing warmer. If there is any doubt, then I'd add gloves like AT mentioned.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

agreed on lightweight gloves and a 1/2 Buff are two things always worth carrying- about an ounce for the gloves, .5 oz for the half Buff- they don't take up any room and they are great bang for the weight

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Super.  Great advice everyone.  I'm thinking I'll start in a short sleeve top and wear or pack sleeves, light weight jacket, gloves, buff, and cap.  I tend to be cold, especially if it's windy/wet.  And I will have sunscreen & sunglasses since I burn if I even think about the sun.

Northern Harrier, I don't arrive in Salmon until Friday afternoon but thanks for the offer of beer.  Another time!  

The plan is also to do the Missoula Marathon on Sunday, where it will also be 96 degrees, but we'll see...

Appreciate the feedback.  Will report back!

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR