Trailer Trash

Blue Marsh Lake Question (Read 28 times)

Daydreamer1

I'm going to be in Reading on Tuesday for a class. If we get done at a reasonable time I'd like to put in a few miles at Blue Marsh Lake. I've been on the course for the race but otherwise it's been years since I've been at any of the other parking areas. So where is the best place for me to park that I don't have to pay, or at least not a lot, and can get changed into running clothes?

XtremeTaper

There is a big parking lot on Church Road, just off PA 183. There are portos there as well. You can run an out/back from here or better yet do the 7 mile "ski" slope loop. From the parking lot, follow the trail north across Church road. It's a very flat section for 3-4 miles until you cross back over the lake/river and hit some hills on your return on the other side of the lake.

Also just south of reading a few miles is Nolde Forest. There are some really nice easy but hilly trails over there in a beautiful setting of hardwoods and pines. Mount Penn has many trails too but I tend to run up there during the Pretzel City Races.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Keep Going

There is a big parking lot on Church Road, just off PA 183. There are portos there as well. You can run an out/back from here or better yet do the 7 mile "ski" slope loop. From the parking lot, follow the trail north across Church road. It's a very flat section for 3-4 miles until you cross back over the lake/river and hit some hills on your return on the other side of the lake.

Yes to what Xtreme says, the ski slope loop is a perfect after work jaunt....I always seem to park at the Stilling basin parking lot (stoned lot) on Palisades Drive just past County Welfare Rd. That lot is never locked off or chained off. But I would be doing the 22 mile loop on the weekend if I parked there so you could just do a nice out and back on the southern end of the loop.

100 milers are my favorite

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

As AT said, the parking area on Church Rd is good.  You probably will go in 81 to 78 right? If that's the case, take the exit for 183 to follow into Reading - it runs right into 222 then 422 which you can get into downtown by.  183 has numerous parking areas that you can park at (for free).  Another good one I often use is just after church rd as you are leaving Reading back to 78. There is a large lot on the left. The trail is accessed near the road.

You can also access the AT on 183 north (passed the 78 intercahnge) at the top of the mountain.  But that is rocky terrain versus the very runnable BM lake trails.

Happy running!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Daydreamer1

Thanks everyone.  Looking at the maps I think I'll try the Church Road parking lot. Hopefully we get done on time and the weather cooperates.

Thanks everyone.  Looking at the maps I think I'll try the Church Road parking lot. Hopefully we get done on time and the weather cooperates.

Did you get out there before/after the storms hit? They were pretty wicked here in Philly!

Daydreamer1

Did you get out there before/after the storms hit? They were pretty wicked here in Philly!

The worst ones seemed to skirt north and south of the Reading area. I waited about 20 minutes for one to pass over because it looked bad on radar. It didn't amount to too much so I should have left sooner. I got caught about two miles from finishing by another mild one that left me soaked. I don't mind the rain, it's the lightening and high winds I try to avoid.