Trailer Trash

The Thursday (Read 27 times)

runtraildc

Morning trailers!  It's raining again here, but at least we don't have thunderstorms.  I got in a short run yesterday afternoon-- just 3 miles, but better than nothing.

qotd:  Inspired from earlier this week:  Have you had any weather close calls?  One summer in college, while studying at the biological research station, a group of us decided to go down to the lake after arriving home from the bar.  Somehow we were delayed a minute or two and then as we started heading down, we were surrounded by light and noise.  Instinctively, we all hit the ground. Lightning of course.  We found out the next morning that it hit and shattered the tree next to the dock where we would have been sitting.   Why I don't run in storms.

Sandy-2

I ran after work today.  Much much better than yesterday, dizziness totally gone.   Did 5 miles up on the mountain single track.

qotd: been up high above the tree line in Colorado a couple of times when a lightning storms blew by, fortunately not that close.  But close enough to understand that there is no place to go and no place to hide. Scary.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

7.8 slow slog this morning.  Weather was great.

QOTD: I have not really been in any immediate close calls - the normal of driving in crazy snowstorms and torrential rain.  This does make me remember a run a few years back a week after we had a bad storm roll through.  The storm had a very distinct front to it that consisted of very high winds- this followed by crazy rain and thunder/lightning.  It was the wind though that was bad.  I don't remember how high they measured the winds but looking at the trees outside, it was bad.  A week later, I went running to a local trail that doesn't get much foot traffic. I expected some damage and mess but wasn't expecting what I saw. I made my way down to a hollow.  I was attempting to make my way out of the hollow on the trail that connected to a dirt road that led over the mountain and eventually through the neighborhood to my home.  But coming out of the hollow I could not find the trail.  It was gone.  I soon realized that the area had probably had a tornado touchdown.  Trees covered the trail - and not just any trees.  These were 75-100 ft trees.  I have never seen anything like it.  I literally bushwacked my way through there to get where I needed to go.  It's not a trail that gets much attention but eventually it was cleaned up - although I believe they rerouted the trail somewhat.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

bike to work, strength train this evening

qotd: several, close calls w/ lightning above tree line, close calls with falling trees in a wind storm, numerous whiteout blizzards out hiking (one this past winter on a local run ), heavy rains that created very hazardous stream fords- damn I'm just lucky to still be here 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Daydreamer1

So I was getting ready to walk out of the house to head up on the mountain for a nice long 20+ mile run. I heard some banging and clanging on the road in front of the house but didn't really think too much about it. Then the internet service went off for me. That elicited a few choice words from me as I had some important stuff to take care of before leaving. Reset the computer and start taking stuff out to the car to find........ a pickup pulling a trailer had lost the trailer . It plowed through my lawn, took out a couple of small bushes, then hit the electric pole shattering it at the base and tearing the phone line .  So after helping to get the trailer out of the pole, calling the phone and electric companies my long run for the day is shot . First, Verizon are idiots. If anyone listens to the recording they'll need earplugs I got so pissed at them. After 20 minutes I finally forced the system to send me to a real person. Took 3 minutes for him to help me. I hate automated systems . The electric company, (PPL), which always gets excellent marks for customer service was real nice to deal with. Got to talk to a real live person who was actually knowledgeable and helpful. But now I have to sit around until they get here because I have the drivers information.  Probably only get in a short run later this afternoon.

QOTD: I've ridden bike in some vicious storms but never really had a close call. My closest weather call came when I was driving truck. Record breaking cold in northern New York. Temps were 35-45 below and the fuel system on my truck froze up. I had been running down south in 70 degree weather and didn't stop by the house to get my insulated coveralls and boots. I was unloading at a farm when the truck shut down. To make a long story short I couldn't get it started until the next morning. As it approached midnight the diesel fuel was so thick in the tank that you could spoon it out. Sleeping in the bunk was not an option so I was ready to head off to the barn to bunk with the cows . Then one of the workers offered to let me sleep on his couch. Very much appreciated.

muppy

5.1 easy road miles last night.

Daydreamer, Holy Cow! I'm glad it didn't hit your house! Didn't they have the safety chains on?

QOTD I got caught last year in a lighting storm. It came out of nowhere and was hitting all around me for a few miles.(I was in the woods so I "thought"I was safer) Luckily I made it to a little park and called the wonderful GF to pick me up on her way home from work. Was nice to watch the lighting strikes from the little pavilion.

Daydreamer1

Daydreamer, Holy Cow! I'm glad it didn't hit your house! Didn't they have the safety chains on?

Yep, ripped 'em right off.  The frustrating thing is the pole sits all by itself. If it had come loose 10' later it would have went through the yard into my field. 20' sooner it would have stopped before hitting to pole or otherwise missed it.

some call me Tim

7 surprisingly quick miles on the still-mucky home trails today... Getting much better readings with phone in hand rather than spibelt

qotd: I've gotten caught in a few whiteouts which were scary... No close lightning strikes and as of now I still run in thunderstorms so long as it's in the woods.. Maybe reconsidering, i dunno

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

6 miles along Lake Logan. Nice for an evening run. I might repeat this tomorrow morning.

DD1: argh! More hassles and work. Glad you did not get hurt.

QOTD: just about a week ago I got caught in a thunderstorm with lightning striking very close nearby. I could hear branches break, then instant thunder crashing down, shaking the ground underneath my feet. This happened three times while I was scrambling to make it further down the hill. Glad I had turned around before I had reached the ridge.

Run for fun.

LB2

I got out for an early run at daylight with the poochie just to keep my streak alive in the event my second outing didn't happen. So, later, I got a few miles with some crazy climbing at the Clark Creek Recreational Area near Woodville, MS. I have run in a lot of places, but the primitive trails here are pretty gnarly.

QOTD: I have had several weather issues over the years from white outs to lightning strikes. Louisiana is second in number of annual lightning strikes in the US, right behind Florida. But one of the best lightning strikes was right before the 2012 Rocky Raccoon. That bolt of lightning struck a tree right by the start/finish right before the start. I thought they were going to cancel the race. But, they didn't. The storm passed on after 5 or 6 hours, no big deal. Another crazy lightning event happened at my first ever ultra, the Mississippi 50. They ended up stopping the race before most of the 50 milers finished. That was the race where some guy drove a brand new Volvo sedan down onto one of the horse trails and into a flowing creek. This place is really in the middle of nowhere, so I have no idea what he was doing down there. I don't know how he got out, but there were about 200 runners who gave him hell as they went by, laughing.

LB2