Trailer Trash

Miserable Monday (Read 41 times)

Queen of Nothing

Sue

The plan was to wake up and walk Earl and Jack, then run with Earl.  The walk happened but the run did not.  So have stuff for lunch time run.  My partner in crime here at work is going to run a half marathon (yes, trail) 04/11.  She has not run in years but I think it's doable, she's young. So I will be doing some lunch runs with her...well she just wants to make sure she is not in the woods alone...so I won't actually be running with her.

QOTD: I'm recreational...I just run.  I don't do speed work, I don't do hill repeats, I just run and if my dog wants to smell something I let him.  If it's a pretty sunset I stop.  If it's a bear print I try to follow it.  Running is just an excuse to let me play in the woods.  I've run 50k but that isn't much of an ultra.

Jame:  I am also trying to come to terms with running less distance.  I think it's being on these forums that make me want to go to the next mileage (50 miler) but I question why do I really want to run that far.  Still haven't come up with the answer.

hoglife:  Bella sure has a lot of bling around her.  She looks like a great dog.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

LB2

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/01/15/what-ultra-marathons-do-to-our-bodies/?smid=fb-share&_r=1

Hopefully, the link works. This is actually a blog that talks about the actual study. And that is where I got the idea for the QOTD.

LB2

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Happy Birthday Kelly...

LB2

I've run 50k but that isn't much of an ultra.

Don't downplay your accomplishments. Those things are hard.

LB2

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Sandy Sorry about your pup.  Glad you and DD made it home to say goodbye.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

SRD for me.  Thankfully this is supposed to be the coldest day of the week.  My hip feels good, my foot feels good...bring on the miles! 

QOTD: I'm a combination of NorthernHarrier, XT, and Queen.

Hog, I love that photo of your Bella!  Those ears!

Sandy, I saw your post yesterday.  I'm so sorry.

Running is dumb.

some call me Tim

URD here... no energy and as a result inadvertently passed out on the couch in the afternoon and missed getting my daughter off the bus. Something is definitely up. Driving over to that bus garage was an awful feeling, but she just joked with me about it.

qotd: I have successfully pulled off a sneak off race (where you find a small local race with a small field with the aim of winning it) if that's any indication. Ultra, though? Time will tell

Take it easy on yourselves out there.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

No run today because I was lazy. There was no ice rain happening that I could blame it on, despite a surefire weather advisory.  So that answers the

QOTD: Even though I run ultras at times, I consider myself a recreational runner. I don't understand that distinction anyway, why would a recreational runner limit him/herself to shorter distances, or why would an ultra runner be considered either an elite runner (who gets paid for running), someone who runs on a team for competition (paid or for cash purse), or someone who runs to compete and win? And any other purpose, in my books, is recreational.

I run for fun, I don't plan too much, and my "training" is only as serious as to get me to the finish line within official cutoffs. If I am fairly fast in a race, I've had a good day (and probably a lot of fun, too). I don't do speedwork (if I call it "speedwork", it's just a few laps and repeats on a flat paved path as fast as I can), I don't do real strength training (just a few squats/lunges/burpees, etc. every now and then), and my "training plan" for an ultra consists of runs adding up to the approximate weekly distance that other training plans recommend.

Sandy: Very sorry about your dog. But she seems to have passed away in comfort, with family around.

Run for fun.

AT-runner

Tim

Sandy, sorry about the loved family member.  Glad you were able to say your goodbyes.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

LB2: Good thing we are in advanced age groups already...

I just learned about another study which investigated the metabolism of older runners compared to that of young runners and to that of sedentary older adults.

The result, in short, was that older (I think it was 55-75 or so) runners who run on a regular basis maintain the metabolism and energy efficiency from their younger days, the metabolism and energy efficiency of the 65-year-old runners was the same as that of the 20-year-olds. That means (according to the authors) that runners are more efficient in everyday physical tasks (and perhaps other tasks as well, they said), so that runners overall have more energy available to accomplish more of the daily physical (or other) challenges.

Walkers did not show that effect, and when the authors compared the results to those from a similar study who had investigated cyclists, they found that cycling also does not show this effect.

The authors were not sure if it was the intensity, or the motion pattern that caused this effect. They are going to compare runners, cyclists, walkers, cross-country skiers and rowers in a similar follow-up study.

Good thing we are runners! 

I might head out for an evening run right now...

Run for fun.

LB2

FTYC: I guess we already knew that older runners were more drawn toward the ultra events. I often think back, "Man, if I had only understood more about running when I was younger..." But I guess we could say that about a lot of things in life.

Sandy: I completely know how you feel losing a pet. It really is like losing a family member, and I am sorry.

I ended up turning my 3 to 5 into 10 miles with a negative split on the back 5. It was a big negative split, like 3 minutes. So, I went too slow going out. I saw 9 turkeys; it looked like a bunch of hens and some of the 2014 hatch, which are pretty much full grown now, but you can tell a difference if you are paying attention.

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

strength training this evening, still on the "5x5" workout-I'm quickly coming to the weights that are getting very hard, it won't be too long and I won't be adding any weight

qotd: I'm just a guy who likes getting into the mountains; more often than not, it's running, but it's also hiking, hunting, backpacking, snowshoeing and skiing- I've never been disappointed getting out, just not getting out

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √