Trailer Trash

Windy Wednesdaily (Read 27 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

So after about 4-5 days of hot (humid the last 2 days) we are back at nicer cooler weather. The wind picked up and brought in a cool front. I got in a shade under 8 this morning. It was cloudy but the sun poked up just in between the horizon and cloud line to almost give me a spot light effect...and then it was gone.

Couch - it's almost here.  Are you ready for MMT????

QOTD: Do you know your heritage? (or do you even care?)

I know some. I am mostly english on my dad's side but on my mom's side I am irish, scottish, sioux indian and something else I cannot remember.  I guess I am a mutt.  I was trying to explain this to my oldest DS (he is 10) but I could not tell him his mother's side because I did not know.  Now I want to know so he knows.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Morning Trailers!  Feeling better today, so will get a 6-ish mile run this afternoon.  I was sore from the race on Saturday, but the last three days had joint aches (knees, shoulders, elbows) like you would with the flu, but really no other symptoms- ibuprofen knocked it out for several hours, but it would come back- weird????

qotd: mostly Irish (both sides), I looked up our family crest (on my Dad's side they dropped the O' when they came over from Ireland)- it wasn't the most flattering crest I've seen- three bloody heads on a sword 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

Going for a long walk today. These walking days will hopefully come in handy for some breaks in my race.  I've been pushing the pace and can walk continuous sub 14 min miles.

QOTD:  Dad came from Kilarney, Ireland when he was a boy.  Mom's father came from Cork, Ireland.  Irish Catholic here.  DW's family has been around longer and traces lineage back to Austria-Hungary (Czechoslovakia Region).  Kids have been to Ireland a few times so they call themselves Irish.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

XtremeTaper

Warm and breezy last night for our 8 mile run out at French Creek. Very enjoyable though I did have a bit of a week/dizzy feeling after about 2 miles. It went away after a mile or so of stumbling or bumbling. It's happened before but not for a long time. The rest of the run felt fine. This evening, look to get in 8-10 miles on some trails. Same as it ever was.

QOTD: Deutschland on both sides, immigrants from the late 1800's, early 1900's. Thus my love of beer and lederhosen. Well, at least one of those.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Daydreamer1

Spending the day at work. Planning on trying to get in several hundred walking lunges if I have the time. I'll do them in increments of 50 throughout the day. Last week I tried for 400-500 and didn't make it that high. A combination of being too busy and the legs giving out.

Warden - Heads on a sword? Sounds like it's a take no prisoners family, just off with the heads .

AT- Sub 14 minute miles????? Wow.  I have seen some power walkers at the Harrisburg 1/2 several years ago and they were seriously going faster then some runners.

XT - So you like Lederhosen, eh.  Are you going to try running an ultra in them .

QOTD: Three of my grandparents trace their roots back to old Swabia.  While the boarders of Old Swabia aren't well defined it included parts of Germany, Switzerland and Austria. Family tradition maintains that my ancestors mostly came from the Switzerland part. Must be why I love mountains. It appears that these ancestors came here in the late 1600's to the mid 1700's. My one Grandmother had a lot of French blood. Unfortunately I know so little about her family that I can't track the history.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Morning all,

I just wanted to check in and let you fine people know I'm still alive (but I did just get married, so depending on your definition...).  I haven't been running and I am still having some foot discomfort when I walk a lot.  I've been missing the trails, so I figured checking in here would be a good first step at getting back to it.

Hope everyone is doing well!

James

**Ask me about streaking**

AT-runner

Tim

James - I was thinking about you while I was working at Ironmasters.  Congratulations on the nuptials.  Good luck getting healthy and back on the trails.

Dd1 - Yes, as in 13:58 for a walking pace (that's sub 14).  

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Had a nice jiggle jog with the mutts this morning.  I keep fighting running with them because they are two large dogs and at this time require a leash.  Although I have ran with them it has always been on a dirt road.  So although it wasn't as pleasant as running hands free it worked out good.  They actually ran better in the trails. Oh 4.5 miles

QOTD:  I am half mutt and half pure breed German.   if that is possible.  Dad is English/French Canadian Mom pure Germen.  I always envied people who had strong heritage with lot's of traditions. ...such as being pure Irish, Italian, Portuguese, Mexican, Cuban.  Although Mom is pure German we didn't have any Germen traditions, except for german potatoe salad...yummmm

Jaime:  Also cool here...two shirts and capris.

Xtreme:  I was thinking of you this morning about how you always do two runs.  My conclusion was he must not be married but I could be wrong.    Then I saw Sandy's comment from yesterday about his wife being in Korea and he can no longer run after work.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

AT-runner

Tim

Had a nice jiggle jog with the mutts this morning.  

Thought at first you forgot your bra again.  

Queen of Nothing

Sue

jiggle because it was just a goofy awkward run holding two large dogs handles (the extend leash).  The girls were tightly held in place.

Thought at first you forgot your bra again.  

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Tapering madness is reaching its height, and no run today. Department meeting at work instead. Sigh.

I did a nice 4-mile night run last night to test out my new sports glasses. While when I tried on the glasses first I thought they were totally wrong for my head, they turned out to be just great after I had found out how to use them together with my hat and headlamp.

The test run was very useful, as I found one of my headlamps is broken. It probably did not survive its 54th fall onto the tile floor from the top hook on the door... 

Good thing that DH scrambled to meet up with me at mile 3 to bring me another headlamp from home!

As I ran through the night, admiring the stars, I realized a few things:

- It might be a bit daring to run on a very rocky, technical trail with just one single handheld flashlight. Especially as I'm so directionally challenged and prone to hands-on ground checks.

- It might be even more daring to run in the woods during a solid 40 mph wind. Not all tree limbs make a sound before they hit the ground. And a few downed trees and huge fallen tree limbs across the trail might be telling something.

- A porcupine hiding in the deep brush makes the same sound as a person stalking you - until you see it climbing up a tree (the porcupine, or maybe the person, too  Wink.

- A tree creaking loudly in the wind (and doing so only as you run by) can scare the **** out of you. 

Otherwise, it was a wonderful run.

Found a tick crawling on my leg after the run. Insect repellant might be recommended, even on night runs, people!

Jamie: Well, I'm excited. I guess that means I'm as ready as it ever gets. 

Zilla: So you did a long walk on your honeymoon, and now your foot hurts?  Sounds strange. But, each to his liking! Congratulations on the wedding!

Queen: I misread: "Did a jiggle with the n***..."   Either your history of posting here is slightly doubtful (after all, AT was thinking in some similar direction), or something is wrong with my new glasses... 

QOTD: I am Austrian. My ancestors on my mother's side lived in a valley north of the Alps in Upper Austria, while my father's ancestors came from an area which is now Czech Republic (Poland?), Bohemia, and Slovakia (my dad was already born in Austria).

I didn't care much about my heritage for a long time, only now I'm a bit interested, mostly because my kids do these "ancestry projects" in school, so I must find something for them to write about. Recently, my dad put together a book with photographies of our heritage, showing already my great-grandparents when they were little (and perhaps my great-great grandparents, but I'm not sure if it's them in the photo). I love that book, and I'm thinking of putting together my mom's side, too (if my sister can help me find the pictures).

Run for fun.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Morning all,

I just wanted to check in and let you fine people know I'm still alive (but I did just get married, so depending on your definition...).  I haven't been running and I am still having some foot discomfort when I walk a lot.  I've been missing the trails, so I figured checking in here would be a good first step at getting back to it.

Hope everyone is doing well!

James

Welcome stranger!  And congrats on tying the knot.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Well Jack still has one n*** and it was jiggling. 

Queen: I misread: "Did a jiggle with the n***..."   Either your history of posting here is slightly doubtful (after all, AT was thinking in some similar direction), or something is wrong with my new glasses... 

Sandy-2

Did a 5 mi run to the beach and back this morning.  Very windy here today too.  Went to the immigration office to get my DW's paperwork in order, good thing we had a 'local helper' from my office with us.  It would have been a nightmare without her.

QoN and FTYC: you guys are nuts!!!

qotd: pretty similar to QoN but reversed.  Mom's side is English, French, Canadian, American Indian, +, +, +, not really sure when they got to North America.  Dad's side is mostly German, my Grandfather on that side came over from Germany in the early 1900's.

tbd.