Trailer Trash

GPS Watches (Read 77 times)

Messenjah

I currently have the Garmin 205….yes, the old school brick….and it's having a hard time finding the satellites…in an open area can take 3-5 minutes. So I am looking to get a new watch. Has anyone had experiences with Suuntos? I know a lot of Europeans where them and have read some good reviews, but I trust "my peeps" more than I trust reviewers Smile

Here is the one I am looking at

http://www.rei.com/product/874665/suunto-ambit2-r-gps-multifunction-watch#descriptionTab

MarkO1969

Sorry, no experience with Suunto... but:

When my 205 died, I replaced it with a 310xt.  Same size, similar functions, MUCH better/quicker satellite acquisition, and wireless upload to your laptop.  Decently priced now also since it's not the newest model.

Mark O.

Rocklin, CA

Sandy-2

A related question, do any of them have batteries that will last 30 hours in GPS mode on a charge?

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Messenjah

From everything I've read, the Suunto Ambit2 (not the s or r) and the Garmin Fenix are the only ones that will last 50 hours. The one that I'm looking at has a 25 hour rating when you set it to "ping" every 60 seconds instead of 1 second (8 hours) or 5 seconds (12 hours).

I have a few friends that have the Suunto.  And if pinging every 60 seconds, it's not that accurate.

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

LB2

A related question, do any of them have batteries that will last 30 hours in GPS mode on a charge?

That is the same question I have. It never fails that I have some issue when using any type of electronic equipment, iPod, GPS watch, etc. At this point, I don't even use anything beyond my old Timex Ironman watch. I think they are more trouble than they are worth. But, the information that is "potentially" gathered is very useful if it works.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

My Garmin 910xt lasted 24 hours.  I realized after the race start that I didn't turn off the notifications and every mile it vibrated, beeped and the light came on.  I was surprised it lasted.  With those setting off, it could do longer, but don't think it could do 30 hours.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

muppy

Not trying to steer you into a Garmin, but I just got 910xt from Runners Warehouse for $299 and then you get a $50 rebate from Garmin, so that's $249 for a $400 watch! Think REI and most stores have them on sale now, not sure how long it lasts though.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I've been eyeing the Fenix for the last couple of years, haven't pulled the trigger yet (it's not cheap)- from what I gather it has the best battery life, it also lets you see UTM's which is very handy when running/hiking off trail (or even on unfamiliar trails)

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

nosuchuser

Re: 910XT   The sale ends today! I picked one up and love it.

Re: Garmin Fenix 2. Do your research on it's vaunted battery life. If you use, as they suggest for extended batterly life, "Ultra Trac" mode, it will ping GPS only once a minute (wha?) and disable Ant+ which seems insane. No thanks.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

^ true enough, looks like the Fenix under  "normal" (1 sec interval) yields ~ 17 hours, at 15 sec interval ~ 26 hours- which appears to yield a pretty decent (accurate) track- this is w/o any Ant+ devices however

graphs here: https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?76940-Fenix-Battery-Life-Let-s-try-to-get-an-approximation-of-this-Need-your-input!

any idea on how that compares w/ the 910?

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Messenjah

I actually did pull the trigger on the Suunto Ambit2 R. The more I read about it, it did get the best reviews. Essentially, it's the Ambit2 but without some of the bells and whistles (triathlon related stuff) and a plastic casing compared to a steel casing. I got a hell of a deal (almost $80 off when you consider shipping) since I only had $200 worth of Birthday money that I was willing to spend. If it doesn't pan out, I'll probably have a birthday next year Smile

Also, what is the Ant+ that oktrailrunner mentioned? I don't have a smart phone (yes, I know I am the only person on the continent that doesn't) and don't use a HRM. Is that the only reason I would need that option?

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

^ yup- external devices

let us know what you think of the watch, I'm still in the market- just not sure what's going to be the best for my needs

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

nosuchuser

^ true enough, looks like the Fenix under  "normal" (1 sec interval) yields ~ 17 hours, at 15 sec interval ~ 26 hours- which appears to yield a pretty decent (accurate) track- this is w/o any Ant+ devices however

graphs here: https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?76940-Fenix-Battery-Life-Let-s-try-to-get-an-approximation-of-this-Need-your-input!

any idea on how that compares w/ the 910?

Not sure as I haven't run mine out. But I read a post where a guy ran his 100 mile race using his 910xt and it didn't run out. He finished right at 24 hours. He also said that he forgot to disable various alerts, so he watch was buzzing and lighting up a lot. He thought it may go even longer with TLC. Of course, your mileage may vary. Smile

nosuchuser

I actually did pull the trigger on the Suunto Ambit2 R. The more I read about it, it did get the best reviews. Essentially, it's the Ambit2 but without some of the bells and whistles (triathlon related stuff) and a plastic casing compared to a steel casing. I got a hell of a deal (almost $80 off when you consider shipping) since I only had $200 worth of Birthday money that I was willing to spend. If it doesn't pan out, I'll probably have a birthday next year Smile

Also, what is the Ant+ that oktrailrunner mentioned? I don't have a smart phone (yes, I know I am the only person on the continent that doesn't) and don't use a HRM. Is that the only reason I would need that option?

Ant+ are many of the external devices ranging from silly to extremely important depending on the application. No Ant+ means no heart rate monitor. No footpod. No powermeter (if you bike). The list goes on. I don't see how this is a good idea. And pinging every 60 seconds for a runner is very silly. No thank you. They will really need to crack the code on battery life for these devices to make them truly useful to the ultra community.