Trailer Trash

Broad Street Run 10 Miler RR (Read 31 times)

Short version - I finished in 1:20:16, cutting 5:33 off my old PR from 2011. This road racing stuff is getting kinda fun.

Broad St 10 Miler RR

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Knocking over 30 seconds/mile off of your PR is ridiculous.  Great to see your hard work paying off.  The picture from the train cracked me up...just like going to an Eagles game except with skinnier people 

**Ask me about streaking**

Occasional Runner

You have officially reached your maximum allotment of pavement pounding race reports for the year.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Congratulations on the huge PR!

Even though your training might not have been the max over the winter and early spring, your hard work shows.

You might be at a plateau right now, where with moderate training, you still run strong, and you might move on to an even faster pace with more training at some point later.

When are you going to return to the trails again??

Run for fun.

SheCan

Wow, congratulations to you!  What a hefty PR that was.  Its so wonderful to hear when someone starts achieving things they didn't feel possible.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

AT-runner

Tim

Nice job.  I did that run for several years when I was doing my neurology post-doc at Temple.  Fun run, but it was much smaller in those days. During the run, we always said to you left is the nice neighborhood, and to you right is the not so nice neighborhood.  Don't think much has changed as far as West Philly.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

When are you going to return to the trails again??

I'm running the Dirty German 25k next weekend!  I can't wait....love that race.

Knocking over 30 seconds/mile off of your PR is ridiculous.  Great to see your hard work paying off.  The picture from the train cracked me up...just like going to an Eagles game except with skinnier people 

Funny you say that, I always ride the Broad Street Line home from work and now completely resent the sports fans who crowd "MY" train during rush hour (usually the Phils and Flyers games). Obviously, I was one of them before moving to South Philly! I'm just cranky when commuting. 

Thanks for the kind words, all!

jonferg67

Endless trails

I agree with you, your hard work is paying off. I remember you announcing last fall that your plan

was to take a little break from the long trail races and focus on shorter roads races, looks like the

shift has re-newed your running.

I agree with you, your hard work is paying off. I remember you announcing last fall that your plan

was to take a little break from the long trail races and focus on shorter roads races, looks like the

shift has re-newed your running.

It has.... a lot of my issues with motivation have to do with my "all or nothing" approach in the past. The mix of road & trail racing has been awesome this year.  It's given me the opportunity to challenge myself in totally new ways.

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

Did they have the police helicopter hovering over the start line this year?

Last year, with a greatly increased police presence because of events in Boston, there was a police helicopter 500 feet over the starting line.  All it did was hover around a pretty small circle.  You couldn't hear a damn thing.  You couldn't hear the announcements.  You couldn't hear the PA system.  Hell, you couldn't even hear the start.

Broad Street is a fun race.  But it's a big race.  I'm not sure that it'll draw me back.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

Did they have the police helicopter hovering over the start line this year?

Last year, with a greatly increased police presence because of events in Boston, there was a police helicopter 500 feet over the starting line.  All it did was hover around a pretty small circle.  You couldn't hear a damn thing.  You couldn't hear the announcements.  You couldn't hear the PA system.  Hell, you couldn't even hear the start.

Broad Street is a fun race.  But it's a big race.  I'm not sure that it'll draw me back.

If the helicopter was there, I didn't notice it.

I pretty much swore off Broad Street after the hot year of 2011. I ran it this year because I wanted to test my speed and I live just a few minutes from a subway stop. That made things MUCH easier before/after the race. However, dealing with the intense crowds at the start/finish is a lot. Pretty much the opposite of the trail races I've come to love. Having said that, it was much less crowded during the race than I expected or remembered.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Great run, but those last 3-4 miles south of City Hall running in the direct sun are tough. Glad you had good weather. I can't imagine how they can get enough water and Gatorade to the aid stations for 40K runners. I gave up on the race when entries topped 8,000. I work 'til midnight on the 17th, but if I can drag myself out of bed early enough, I hope to see you at Dirty German. Since I work Fri and Sat, I doubt I'll be working that Sunday as well.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

muppy

Congratulations on another successful race. Seems like your getting faster on each race!