Trailer Trash

Morning after the Oscars Mondaily (Read 41 times)

Ultra Cowboy

I'll do my follow-up 8 miler tonight after work.  I'll keep it flat and slow.

Really enjoy reading everyone's details, just don't have time to do personals with all of you but I'm reading 'em.

WYBMADIITY

Save

valerienv

Thread killer ..

Yesterday I did 7.25 on a trail near my house . We haven't been up there for @15 years and although we could see our house we couldn't find the right way down to make a loop and ended doing a freestyle through a steep drainage full of boulders , view from the top to the north , Tule Peak

Tule peak

To the south ( Carson Range )

Mt Rose

QOTD: After my first ultra that night I had dreams I was running down the same section of trail over and over again

runtraildc

Hi all,

today seems to be unmotivated Monday for me.  I have 5 miles planned for tonight, but with some other stuff taking precedent (including prep for a sailing trip), I may not get out.  we'll see.  Maybe I just need to live vicariously thru everyone's running for the day.

qotd:  Nope, not that I remember...

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

12 miles over ice and snow, and through lots of mud, slush and water. It was a lot of fun, and I was really glad I had my microspikes with me (and was wearing them for at least 8 out of the 12 miles).

On the last few miles, I met two horses with their riders, and I was wondering how they had managed to get over the icy sections further down that trail. I know there are studded horseshoes, but they are not very popular (at least in Europe) because of the increased risk of injury to the horse (when they trip, or kick each other). Anyone any idea?

Valerie, great pictures!

Run for fun.

jonferg67

Endless trails

It's almost 4 here on east coast, am I late to the party?

SRD. I'm back up to 5 days a week of running, happy about that. Sat. 13 on snow

covered trails, then Sun. another 6 in the rain. Now, I just gotta get my LR up into

the 20's.

QOTD: Dream about running; yes, all the time, love those dreams.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I watched and enjoyed the Oscars.  I ran 21 a little over 21 miles Saturday...funny how you go out 11 turn around and come back and you don't reach your goal of 22 miles.  Once I see the jeep I stop no adding a mile run around the parking lot.  Sunday had intentions of running and didn't, really hating my running ethics lately.  So plan is quick five after work.

Xtreme Taper:  My dreams of running are always inside too.  I am usually in a marathon in buildings, basements, stairwells.  I never lead, I can never get past the people in from of me.  How far can your dogs run.  I have taken Earl on everything with his longest run 22 miles.  They seem so easy for him  but I do worry a little that it may be too much.

QOTD:  In underlined above

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

NorthernHarrier

I did not watch the Oscars. I went on Netflix and watched The Naked Gun. Laughed my ass off.  Again. Just love the stupid humor and Leslie Nielsen is always something.  Did a longish run yesterday so today will just be weights and elliptical. Still trying to decide on doing the Hawkeye 25k that I am entered in for Sat.  Had to enter way back as I knew it would fill but my recovery and rehab is lagging. I'll probably decide Friday night while hydrating with a couple beers.

DPC--Glad to see you around again. And yellow dog.

Mandy-- thanks for the note. When I get more time I'll get back to you. And yeah, don't need anymore pics than that. Big grin

Valerie-- Beautiful pics.

QOTD-- Wow, just like XT and Queen I am in a large building and trying to find my way out. Totally directionally impaired in buildings so why would they put an ultra right thru a building. Of course lost and falling close to the cutoff and then I wake up in a panic. Have had that dream a few times. ???? Analyze away.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

12 miles over ice and snow, and through lots of mud, slush and water. It was a lot of fun, and I was really glad I had my microspikes with me (and was wearing them for at least 8 out of the 12 miles).

On the last few miles, I met two horses with their riders, and I was wondering how they had managed to get over the icy sections further down that trail. I know there are studded horseshoes, but they are not very popular (at least in Europe) because of the increased risk of injury to the horse (when they trip, or kick each other). Anyone any idea?

Valerie, great pictures!

An ex-gf of mine had a horse shod with shoes that you could screw studs into...so for daily use they weren't studded, muddy/icy days she'd put the studs in.  She was cautious about using the studs.

**Ask me about streaking**

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

warden: Is the mud around your parts like the ND badlands mud? That's where I grew up and it can get pretty treacherous! 

Yes-exactly!  very high clay content, we (not affectionately) refer to it as "gumbo"- it's miserable stuff- it's very slick, sticks to everything like glue and just generally sucks Big grin

the route I chose today was 90% mud free, but the 10% wasn't fun

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Ultra Cowboy

Xtreme Taper:   How far can your dogs run.  I have taken Earl on everything with his longest run 22 miles.  They seem so easy for him  but I do worry a little that it may be too much.

My Friend Kirk had a lady he ran with  who ran with her Weimeriner and would share her Gu with him.  He swore that dog would run double the distance they did since he was out and back the whole way.

WYBMADIITY

Save

valerienv

Thread killer ..

Valerie, great pictures!

Thank you ~ some people have borium welded to the shoes in winter. Works like screw in studs,  which are mainly used in eventing/jumping on grass , but it is not removable    .

Uh oh... now what?

We went to the next island north (Fidalgo).  The winds were steady 36-38, gusting to 50-53 so we went to where we would be near the water most of the time--great huge white caps and waves and water crashing up over the rocks.  Eagles parked way high above us, a feather moves every once in a while in response to wind change.  We found a grove of junipers--did not know there were any around here.  I kept getting dizzy trying to watch the tops of the dancing trees--Dougs and grands and western red cedars, a hundred feet, hundred and fifty feet, a few even taller--the kind Muir would have tied himself to.

The wind was high enough they closed the park to cars;  only open to foot traffic.  It was strange in one way, everyone we saw was in the old category.  One couple sitting on a bench on both laps--an hour or so of just watching waves, wind, and birds--not a bad way to pass time.  As we went from water level to the higher points the sea turned from light green with foam all over to a deeper green, almost emerald as the waves lengthened to go through the straits between the two islands.  We found two ferns, that were later revised to mosses, that we don't see on our island.

XtremeTaper

Xtreme Taper:  My dreams of running are always inside too.  I am usually in a marathon in buildings, basements, stairwells.  I never lead, I can never get past the people in from of me.  How far can your dogs run.  I have taken Earl on everything with his longest run 22 miles.  They seem so easy for him  but I do worry a little that it may be too much.

Queen: I tend to limit my dogs to 3 hours runs. The spaniel is getting up there so he only goes out for short days now. But I've had him out there for 3 hours before. That's 15-18 miles for me depending on terrain. I'm pretty sure the pointer could go forever. She runs several miles more than me each run anyway with all her zig-zagging and wandering.

Funny, I had a running dream last night. It ended up turning into an obstacle course and of course portions of the run were inside. Man was I pissed and the course flags were red, not very frequent and hard to see.

Trails n' Cocktails: I run down at VF park maybe once every 2-3 months. Mostly I wander the trails of French Creek State Park. I've also covered the entire Horseshoe trail (to the AT) starting at ValleyForge. We did that run in 6 segments a few years back.

In dog beers, I've only had one.