Trailer Trash

Any last minute advice? (Read 43 times)

Snowdenrun

I'm running a marathon on Saturday and I'm a bit .... not nervous but "God I hope I don't die/make a fool of myself" feeling. It's my first marathon and longest distance by 6 miles. There will only be 100 runners total for the full and half combined. It's a hybrid race consisting of concrete, flat trail, semi-technical trail, multi-use gravel trail and maybe a bit of asphalt. I've ran every section of the course so many times I could probably do it without my contacts.

But....I didn't follow a training plan. I feel like I peaked 2 months ago. All my runs started well after 10 am and 2 mugs of coffee. The race starts at 7 am. My god that's early. I haven't really figured out a good fueling system yet. I did a super extreme taper that included massive amounts of food and alcohol with no running. My shoes have holes in them and I just bought a new pair(yay!) but I'm not sure if I should wear them(I liked them on my last 2 easy/short runs. Thinking about wearing them and keeping others on hand somewhere along the course).

I'm fairly certain I've done everything that you should not do leading up to a race and created a recipe for disaster. I'm half looking forward to it, half ready for it to be over.

Not really sure what I'm looking for here. But if you have anything that might seem helpful, let me hear it.

Thanks!

Messenjah

Rest well tonight. Have a couple of beers to calm the nerves and stay off of your feet as much as possible. Do some "visualization" of the course if you know it and just get ready to tell people "Yeah, I'm a marathoner. No big deal" Big grin

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

you'll be just fine, relax and have fun Big grin- it's your first marathon and one you will always remember

you don't need a fancy fueling system, but do insure you consume some calories along the way (I find a little bit here and a little bit there is much better than a whole lot anywhere)

best of luck to you!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

uh...just have fun.  Longest run by 6 milers? No big deal.  Race day you will be fine.  As far as the 7am thing...good luck with that....Big grin

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

DigDug2

You'll be fine.  Familiarity with the entire course is a huge advantage and will help you if you hit any low points.  Keep a comfortable pace, take in some fluids and calories regularly and trust the mileage that you have on your legs - an extreme taper for a couple of weeks shouldn't cost you much fitness.  On the new shoes, if you've run in them a couple of times and don't have any problem spots, I would wear the new ones.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Good luck! You'll be fine.  Home field advantage...I'm predicting a strong race.

What kind of shoes did you end up getting?

**Ask me about streaking**

Sandy-2

Hmmmmm, let's see...

- didn't follow a training plan.

- peaked 2 months ago.

- started runs after 10 am and 2 mugs of coffee. The race starts at 7 am.

- haven't figured out a good fueling system yet.

- did a super extreme taper with massive amounts of food and alcohol with no running.

- shoes have holes in them.

- just bought a new pair (not sure if I should wear them).

- fairly certain I've done everything that you should not do.

Yup, sound's familiar.  I'd say you are DEFINITELY ready !!!!!

Seriously, you'll do great.  Go for it and have fun.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

NorthernHarrier

Excited??? Smile  Don't overthink this stuff.  Start hydrating now. Eat your larger meal at lunch and a light supper. As much as I love beer I would only have one if at all the night before a big event, usually to take the edge off and help me get to sleep. I wouldn't carry any food and just graze at the aid stations.(well maybe a snickers bar)  Carry a water bottle with a diluted Perpetuem mixture if you have used it before. Don't eat or drink anything on race day that you have not done in training.  Wear the new shoes since you have run a couple times with them with some socks that you know will work. Don't worry about placing shoes out on a marathon course. Put some glide on certain body areas. Smile for any cameras you see so people will think you are actually enjoying your misery.  Keep it simple and enjoy, it will all be over in what, say a little over 3 hours Wink.

Good luck.

muppy

All I can add is to have fun!

(And don't take it too seriously, it's just running!)

sugnim

Smile at people, say hello, maybe bring a camera & take photos along the way.  Just have fun.  Whenever I race, I just think of it more as a social gathering, a celebration of running, a sort of party where everyone is running instead of dancing & drinking water & gatorade instead of cocktails.  I don't know if that philosophy will help you, but it works for me.  I will never win a race, nor will I win my age group, so I just show up & plan on having a good time.  There are a few people in my town that I sometimes try to beat (they don't know I always race them) but for the most part, I try to stay relaxed about racing.  It usually turns out in my favor, and I run much faster than I thought I could.  But on the days when it doesn't work out, at least I can make my goal of having a good time and making the best of the situation.

Low_O2

If the only goal is to have fun, then I would just take it at a nice easy effort and see how you're feeling. Dial up the effort as you get closer to the end if you feel good. Make sure to eat and drink and before you know it you will be crossing the finish. I would use the new shoes as long as you have had a couple test runs with no signs of discomfort.  I'm sure you will do great. Good luck and have fun!

Snowdenrun

Thanks everyone! I guess I should just chill out. Big grin

Messenjah- I work tonight til 10pm(blue collar trade laborer here) but trust me I'll hit the couch as soon as I get home. I also get to work Saturday a few hours after the race. I've already informed my supervisor I'm going to be a useless sack of potatoes.

Jam- I bought the Saucony Kinivara Trail 2 or something along those times. I stopped by the mother-ship REI on my long lay over in Seattle and quickly tried on a few pairs. I then lost track of time, got lost downtown and almost missed my flight. But I got new shoes!

Sugnim- I like that perspective! Especially for a first time race. Hopefully it will keep me from competing with the half-ers Smile

Thanks again! I'll let you all know how it goes. I'll try to ...trust my training!

Messenjah

The same thing happened to me after my first marathon. I was supposed to have the day off then the person that was supposed to fill in for me bailed. I did my marathon, went home, showered (painfully) and then worked a 10 hour shift at Target. IT SUCKED!!! But made me realize after that ultras really are what I am destined for Big grin

Messenjah- I work tonight til 10pm(blue collar trade laborer here) but trust me I'll hit the couch as soon as I get home. I also get to work Saturday a few hours after the race. I've already informed my supervisor I'm going to be a useless sack of potatoes.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Like everyone said, try to have fun, and don't overworry. You'll be fine, just take it easy, especially in the first half of the race.

Stick to your tried-and-true foods, use the new shoes and the socks you've tried them in.

With the morning thing, just get up in time to have your breakfast before the run, then you either go for a nap again (don't forget to set the second alarm!), or jog up and down the lane in front of your house to make the potty duty happen.

Lay out your stuff the night before, so you'll be ready to run quickly. You'll be fine, just believe in the race day magic!

Good luck, can't wait for the RR!

Run for fun.