Trailer Trash

Shoe recommendations (Read 48 times)

dpc3

what don't you like on the Pergrines, I was going to add that to the list for my DW to try thanks (MTWarden) After about 200 miles the midsole blew out, but I will be honest I am hard on shoes according to my DW.
    Low_O2

I have been running in the Saucony Pergrines. I think these may fit your requirements, except maybe the toe box. Don't think they are all that wide? I like them, but don't love them. I like to call them my "Chevy Malibu" shoes. They work, are comfortable and get the job done but aren't very exciting to me. They just don't feel fast and nimble. I got over 500 miles out of the first pair and am over 200 miles on the second pair with lots of life left yet.

I have been eyeballing the Pearl Izumis lately. May try either the N1 or N2, but not sure yet. Another one you might look at is the La Sportiva Helios. I love my Vertical K's, but don't wear them often anymore since my feet get beat up when on rocky trails(no rockplate) The Helios seem to be much more protective.

valerienv

Thread killer ..

Have you looked into Altra? Not sure if they have wide toebox or rock plates but I know they are zero drop and some people rave about them.

I think they have the widest toe box you can find and they do have a rock plate . I wanted to like them ( Lone Peak ) and they felt great . After trying them for a couple weeks I ended up with tendonitis in my ankle . They are almost like slippers on the upper and I pronate , with no support at all it caused the tendonitis . If you are totally neutral and want a very roomy comfortable shoe they would be great .

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I think they have the widest toe box you can find and they do have a rock plate . I wanted to like them ( Lone Peak ) and they felt great . After trying them for a couple weeks I ended up with tendonitis in my ankle . They are almost like slippers on the upper and I pronate , with no support at all it caused the tendonitis . If you are totally neutral and want a very roomy comfortable shoe they would be great .

I like the idea of slippers with a wide toe box and a rock plate...anybody have any leads on where these can be tried on?  Or do I have to do the running warehouse thing?  Nevermind they provide that resource on their website.

**Ask me about streaking**

Occasional Runner

Altra is based nearby, so I end up running with a couple of the owners sometimes. Knowing them makes it difficult to buy their shoes because I find them to be really annoying people. They never miss a chance to talk shit about my shoes and I never miss a chance to tell them that their shoes suck.

Watoni

I have several pairs of Inov-8's in my rotation but I mostly use them as a winter shoe because they have extremely aggressive tread. I'll also use them when the trails are muddy. And of course, I always wear them when I do the Tough Mudder.

That last sentence had me almost snort my coffee all over my desk Wink

I recommend La Sportiva Helios or S-Lab Sense Ultras for what you are talking about

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

That last sentence had me almost snort my coffee all over my desk Wink

I recommend La Sportiva Helios or S-Lab Sense Ultras for what you are talking about

I'm checking out the La Sportiva anakonda's for a possible maybe...I'll include the Helios in that catagory.  I love salomon products but I can't come to terms with the sticker price...maybe if I pick up a lot of overtime....win the lottery...long lost rich uncle dies...discover a Dali at a yardsale...

Occasional Runner

Funny thing...Salomon is based nearby, too. They have a huge discount store in town where you can buy their gear at steep discounts. I keep planning to buy some of their shoes, but I still can't justify it. The discounted prices are on par with normal shoe prices ($90-105).

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

regarding the Helios- great looking shoe, but I had to send mine back because they didn't have enough room in the toe box, the toe box is pretty tapered (I posted a pic next to the grits in a recent thread I started on shoes)- but my toes need a lot of room due to their length- ymmv

I tried on Altras and they definitely had the roomiest toe box of all the shoes I tried on, I was a little nervous w/ the 0 drop- maybe needlessly, but I ended passing on them because of it

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Watoni

regarding the Helios- great looking shoe, but I had to send mine back because they didn't have enough room in the toe box, the toe box is pretty tapered (I posted a pic next to the grits in a recent thread I started on shoes)- but my toes need a lot of room due to their length- ymmv

I tried on Altras and they definitely had the roomiest toe box of all the shoes I tried on, I was a little nervous w/ the 0 drop- maybe needlessly, but I ended passing on them because of it

In terms of YMMV, I have  run a 50-miler in the Helios, and I know people who have done 100s in them. The fit is key I have not heard great things about the Anakondas. I have the X-Country, and it is a fun shoe for shorter distances (especially in mud),but not a long distance option for me.

Also, if you are considering the Pearl Izumi Trail n1s also look at the n2s. I just got a pair and they are roomier than some of my other shoes and the mesh is softer than the n1s. You need to buy in to their dynamic offset concept to think of them as a low drop option, but I am going to do a test run today.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Funny thing...Salomon is based nearby, too. They have a huge discount store in town where you can buy their gear at steep discounts. I keep planning to buy some of their shoes, but I still can't justify it. The discounted prices are on par with normal shoe prices ($90-105).

I like Salomon but of course agree with the prices being too high.  I had found a good deal on Crossmax a couple years ago (maybe $80 when retail was $130 I think).  I still have them 600+ miles, (3) 50ks, (1) 50 miler.   I cannot speak for the XT, Speedcross or other.  Be ware that there newest shoe (XR Mission) is a light weight version of the Crossmax.  Lightweight = keep your mileage low.  I got rid of them.

I am now in Brooks Cascadia and as long as you size them right Black eye, they are nice.  I like how they feel on road too unlike the Salomon Crossmax.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Holden McGruyen

Also, if you are considering the Pearl Izumi Trail n1s also look at the n2s. I just got a pair and they are roomier than some of my other shoes and the mesh is softer than the n1s. You need to buy in to their dynamic offset concept to think of them as a low drop option, but I am going to do a test run today.

I have the N1 and the M2 and the M2 also has a wider toebox (not Altra-wide but wider than the N1). I couldn't detect that dynamic offset when I was trying to, but I like the ride so much that I no longer care if they're low drop or not.

I also like PI's tongue lacing system with the double pass-thru. It keeps tongue migration to a minimum.

I'm Holden McGruyen. Would you like to join me?

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

If you like the 1010, just switch over to the MT10. It's a better shoe and I'm getting a ton of miles out of them.

NB said they would replace both pairs Big grin.  Looks like this ^^^  is what I will be doing...I think I am going to pick up the inov8 235s while I'm waiting