Trailer Trash

Sunglasses (Read 40 times)

AT-runner

Tim

My old reliable Oakley Transition glasses are ready for retirement.  I liked the transitions for trail running because they reacted to the wooded conditions and were never too dark.

Who wears sunglasses in the woods, and what do you were?

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

I don't wear them often, but I have worn a variety of models. The ones I like the best are a pair of shooting glasses by Remington. I think they were like 10 bucks.

LB2

Daydreamer1

I have prescription lenses and use Drive Wear lenses in my glasses. They are supposed to change color in three conditions, inside almost clear, slightly darker in a vehicle and darkest, of course outside.  I like them because unlike transitions they do change some in the vehicle. The problem is they don't get as light inside as the Transitions do. That can make it a little difficult to see inside a darker house. Apparently they are a true polarized lense and they really cut the glare down including during the day in the woods as well as lights at night. I don't know if they are available without a prescription and they are expensive.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I have Sonic sunglasses, got them cheap several years ago. I like them because they don't slip, but they are not Rx, so I don't see very well with them.

Most of my trails are shaded, so I usually don't need sunglasses there, only on ridge trails or my beloved gravel roads over the mountains.

I mainly use them on road or the bike trail, not in the woods.

When I'll need new sunglasses, I think I'll go with transition Rx lenses. Only downside is that they are really expensive.

Run for fun.

I have a pair of Tifosi photochromatic sunglasses that I like a lot.  They are like these, but I'm not sure if it's the exact same model since these say they're men's: http://www.rei.com/item/864245/tifosi-tyrant-20-fototec-sunglasses-mens#descriptionTab

My Tifosi shades do well in overcast conditions when it's still bright enough to need some eye protection.  Plus great for going in and out of shaded areas on the trails.   Light weight, don't slip, don't fog up.  I got them on sale at REI and used a 20% off coupon so they were pretty inexpensive.

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I have a couple of pairs of Smith Sliders- they come in different styles and usually w/  three different pairs of interchangeable lenses (w/ even more available).  What I like about them is they are very light and stay put- sometimes hard to do when trail running.  Their warranty rocks too, I had pair that were three years old develop a hairline crack in the frame, they said send them in and they replaced them for free.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

Thanks for input.  I really like the Tifosi's.  Local bike shop carries some of their models but not the photocromatic.  Might make a trip to REI (which is always dangerous) to check them out.

My blue eyes are very sensitive to light, and I really like sunglasses that don't have any frame on the bottom so as not to block the view of the trail obstacles.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I don't want to expose you to danger, but as you are voluntarily making the trip to REI, I might just mention that they have the Black Diamond ReVolt on sale there ($40 instead of $60 or $70). 

Run for fun.

Thanks for input.  I really like the Tifosi's.  Local bike shop carries some of their models but not the photocromatic.  Might make a trip to REI (which is always dangerous) to check them out.

My blue eyes are very sensitive to light, and I really like sunglasses that don't have any frame on the bottom so as not to block the view of the trail obstacles.

I have blue eyes too and my eye doctor lectures me every year about UV protection for my eyes.  So I wear these glasses on pretty much all of my daylight runs.

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

AT-runner

Tim

I have blue eyes too and my eye doctor lectures me every year about UV protection for my eyes.  So I wear these glasses on pretty much all of my daylight runs.

I've had that lecture.  I have to take eye supplement pills (lutein) due to lessen my chance of macular degeneration.