Trailer Trash

I still may need new shoes now! (Read 38 times)

NorthernHarrier

Maybe these Calderas will work or NB's replacement Hierro shoe.

Have both the Caldera and two versions of the Hierro.  The Hierro's(v2) are super comfortable but the sole in that version doesn't offer a lot of traction. The latest version (v3) which is still in a box looks to have a much better outsole so I'm real optimistic. My Calderas are part of an 8 shoe rotation so I don't really have a lot of miles on them yet but they are real comfortable though I need a little more heel lift. I put in a new insole to lift my heel a little more but haven't wanted to run in them until this calf issue I have clears up.

When I was younger I wanted a firm midsole to just bomb thru thru the trails. Had a lot more bounce in my step but now that I'm an old dinosaur I need much more midsole protection and cush. Both these shoes fit the bill for me just eating up lots of miles on long trail runs. I have other shoes I use on the highly technical rocky trails.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Have both the Caldera and two versions of the Hierro.  The Hierro's(v2) are super comfortable but the sole in that version doesn't offer a lot of traction. The latest version (v3) which is still in a box looks to have a much better outsole so I'm real optimistic. My Calderas are part of an 8 shoe rotation so I don't really have a lot of miles on them yet but they are real comfortable though I need a little more heel lift. I put in a new insole to lift my heel a little more but haven't wanted to run in them until this calf issue I have clears up.

When I was younger I wanted a firm midsole to just bomb thru thru the trails. Had a lot more bounce in my step but now that I'm an old dinosaur I need much more midsole protection and cush. Both these shoes fit the bill for me just eating up lots of miles on long trail runs. I have other shoes I use on the highly technical rocky trails.

Good to know, thanks.

I do most of my running on roads so I usually only have 1 or 2 pairs of trails shoes. I like finding a pair that works well and sticking with them.  These dang shoe manufacturers are always screwing it up by coming out with "updates" and/or replacements.

You people have issues 

GC100k

Ran 18 miles on the AT today in the Calderas. No problems. I like them but don't love them. Meh.

I pulled out the insoles from the Caldera and put them against the insoles from my Challengers. They are EXACTLY the same width and shape. If there is more room in the Caldera, and there may be, it's in how the upper comes around.

Anyway, after ONE trail run, the outsole toes are both peeling off on the Calderas. If I loved them, I might be inclined to patch it with superglue or shoe goo, but I mean it's the first trail run. I think I'm going to return them and get some Hoka Napali (Challenger 3 5) from RunningWarehouse. They're dirty now and REI will probably just give me a store credit and this is the first purchase I've ever made from REI, so don't know when I'll use the credit. Pretty bummed.

runtraildc

I'd be surprised if REI doesn't give you a full refund, especially as this seems a manufacturing issue. They have a very good return policy as long as you are not a serial returner, which most stores these days will flag you if you appear to be abusive of the return policy. I returned a 5 month old pair of sauconys to REI with less than 20 miles on them. They didn't blink (maybe it was also aftery they noted the many, many pairs of running shoes previously purchased). Many of their returns end up in their attic sales, so if they don't return it to the manufacturer, they sell it as used and recoup their losses.

Good luck with the Hokas.

Anyway, after ONE trail run, the outsole toes are both peeling off on the Calderas. If I loved them, I might be inclined to patch it with superglue or shoe goo, but I mean it's the first trail run. I think I'm going to return them and get some Hoka Napali (Challenger 3 5) from RunningWarehouse. They're dirty now and REI will probably just give me a store credit and this is the first purchase I've ever made from REI, so don't know when I'll use the credit. Pretty bummed.

GC100k

Would I get kicked out of Trailer Trash if I got Napali road not Napali ATR?

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

yes

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Ultra Cowboy

Good to know, thanks.

I do most of my running on roads so I usually only have 1 or 2 pairs of trails shoes. I like finding a pair that works well and sticking with them.  These dang shoe manufacturers are always screwing it up by coming out with "updates" and/or replacements.

Yes.  Not happy about not being able to get a new pair of  Leadvilles in wides.....

WYBMADIITY

Save