Trailer Trash

Hardrock Lawsuit - What do you think? (Read 33 times)

AT-runner

Tim

Was bound to happen. Someone has started a lawsuit against Hardrock for their lottery system.

What do you think?  According to sources, Hardrock made $17,000 in Lottery fees for 42 spots that were "picked".

I've never been picked (only tried 2 times), but not sure if lawsuit is way to go.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

The lottery fee is $10.00. And the only way I would have a problem with it is if the lottery wasn't on the up and up, which is one of the claims. If you are going to have the lottery and take the lottery fee, the rules of the lottery should be followed at all times. But I don't know that a lawsuit is the way to go, and I do not think that the money is being pocketed by anyone. I imagine it would go back into the race.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

Here's the Blog-site with all the "stats" as per the initiator of the suit.

Agree, that if you spell out rules but don't follow, there is a problem, especially since you are paying for entry into the lottery.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

I looked at the blog, and I don't think that he is asking for something unreasonable. However, I always question these claims that someone has "violated the law" when in fact they may have only failed to comply with some rule within their own rule structure. There is a huge difference between violating a law and not following rules set forth by a board or club. So, I consider the language loaded. People blow stuff out of proportion all the time; believe me; I know first hand.

LB2

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Well they have $17k to help pay for their legal fees.   Not sure this will end well.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

XtremeTaper

I think none of this would have happened before facebook and blogs.

Personally I could care less, but if it's clear only 40-50 slots will be available for the public, and you want to pay $10 to take a chance, I see it as no harm/no foul. Perhaps it's just a matter of clarification. It sounds like a lot of whining to me. Why would you even want to run the race if you have such a bone to pick with the RD?

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Sandy-2

As f'cked up as the main instigator is, he does have a few good points.  It's just that there are so many other rantings in his points that things get clouded.

His rantings seem to have already had some results; (a) disclosure that there are currently 5 discretionary RD picks, (b) the $10 lottery entry fee collected in the past 3 lotteries is being refunded and will not continue, and (c) there were observers at the recent lottery for the 2017 run.  On these issues my opinion it that the discretionary RD picks should be labeled as such for the 2017 run and onward, and FYI the $10 fee went to their Silverton scholarship fund not Hardrock and previous applicants will have the choice of opting out of the refund and keeping it in the scholarship fund.

The rest of his stuff is crap (although if true, the trail work safety is worrisome).  To me as long as the lottery rules are well defined (which they are) and the above three things are followed, you are free to enter or not.

You may not like that there are 3 categories (vets, else, never) and I think the latest lottery openings of 137 (145 total - 5 RD - 3 2016 m/f winners) with different chances of getting in based on each category, but they are well defined categories and odds are given for each. Again, if you don't like the 3 categories and their odds, don't apply.  By the way, people are "picked" for each category, but just isolating the 42 openings of the Never category and saying only those 42 are "picked" is a bit of cherry picking.  As you know I was one of the 200 or so in the "else" category trying for 46 spots and I didn't get "picked".

Anyway.......   to me, it's ok to complain and better to suggest changes - this kind of lawsuit sucks.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL