Trailer Trash

Chilly weekend dailys (Read 19 times)

Daydreamer1

So I go to the sunny south and end up in a soaking, chilly rain. Why is 57 degrees in Texas colder and more miserable than 57 in Pa. It sure feels that way for some reason.

Got in 10 miles yesterday on some rough county roads. Had a chilly reception by some southern mutts.  If I'd have a week or two here I think I could make some friends out of them, in fact I know I could.  7.6 of those miles were the fastest I've run in a long time and I'm feeling it today. Legs are sore and tired so with the steady cold rain coming down I'll skip the run today.

QOTD: Are you more or less likely to run or ride in bad weather when you are on vacation?

For me it just depends. Today I'm sore and tired and at home I would run. Here it will be too much bother to deal with the wet clothes and I forgot my rain jacket as well.   I have been in East TN and had planned to ride up to Clingman's Dome on the bike. The weather was atrocious and I still went out. So for me it just kind of depends.

AT-runner

Tim

Had a great 13 miles, the only bad part is it was part of a 20 miler and I still had 7 to go to get back to the car.  Ran with a friend and went out too fast for being post flu.  We were clipping off 8 minute miles and I kept saying "lets slow down".  Felt like we did and then bam 8:10. WTF. I have no idea how to pace on a flat section anymore. After the turn, we were back into the wind for the last 10.  After about 3 I had no energy. Legs felt good, breathing was good, just felt like I needed a nap.  Made it back at a slower pace with a few short walking breaks. 25° and 15-20 mph winds made it feel like 15° or so.  DW did 16 and had a good run.

QOTD:  Since the kids are on their own, we pick our vacations so we can run in new locations. So we run on vacation regardless of the weather. DW doesn't like to be on a road bike in the rain due to a fall she had during a triathlon years ago so that's another reason we run in the rain.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Sandy-2

Daydreamer, where are you in Texas?  I'm near Houston.  Unfortunately I am flying off to London tomorrow so I won't be around.  The thing about the weather here is that even when it's cool it's still humid, i.e. damp.  The chill goes right through you, even when it's 40 or 50 deg.

Funny, I'm planning a drive/hike trip with my DS in the Black/Smoky Mtns in the Tenn/NC area, we're planning on hitting Mount Mitchel, Mount Craig and Clingman's Dome (the 3 highest peaks east of the Mississippi).  We may also hit Potato Hill (we're going to do the Deep Gap trail).  A little worried that some of the roads may still be closed 3 weeks from now when we're planning to go.  Any advice?

Did an ok 20 miler this morning.  I ran ok, but it was "damp" though (see above).

qotd: As long as there isn't lightening, I'm running. I do remember once on a business trip, oddly enough to London, I didn't get up for a planned 10 miler because it was cold and rainy, slept-in instead.  I remember feeling that I needed the sleep more than I needed the run at the time.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

NHLA

Oskar Blues 4 mile race 32 min. Nice day.

Sandy give me a call when you come to NC. The parkway is closed alot north and west of asheville. You might be better off going to Mt Pisgah  and Devils Courthouse because I know how to get there on fire rds and trails. Pisgah highway stays open but they close the parkway if somebody sees one flake of snow.

qotd  I will run in the rain on vacation. Once I'm wet I don't care. Its just hard to start a run in the rain.

Daydreamer1

Daydreamer, where are you in Texas?  I'm near Houston.

We are visiting DW's relatives just south of Waco.  We had thought of coming down to Houston to  NASA  today and if that would have worked out I was going to see if you were going to be out and about.  Unfortunately I wouldn't have had and time for a run. Instead DW and her niece decided to go to the Fort Worth Stockyards but  that didn't work  out either.

18 miles today on the "high water" alternative course for Lake Sonoma 50 in April. That's the back up route if the water in the lake doesn't go down. Apparently portions of the regular course are swimmable now.  Another run where feet were wet and/or muddy the whole time. And it was raining most of the day. And not particularly warm. And windy on the ridge where we started/finished. Fortunately I had a change of clothes and dry shoes/socks.

QOTD: Depends if I need the run for training purposes.  My DH and I like running in new places while on vacation, but if conditions are bad, and the run wasn't necessary for training, we'd probably pass and go get breakfast instead.

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

runtraildc

Chilly it is!  Got in 5 yesterday in the brisk wind, and 7 today in colder but less windy conditions. Today's run was a low key race in a park about 45 minutes away.  Very nice trail, incredibly flat, which was a nice change. Still didn't run as fast as I'd like, but it was still a good run.

qotd: Yes, if it's conditions I would run home, I'll run it on vacation. Maybe even more likely since it will involve a change of scenery.

NHLA

6 miles High Rock. Beautiful day. Sore from race but not too bad.

Sandy-2

NHLA, thanks for the info.  I'll monitor the road closings and send a PM later this week.

Daydreamer, hope you have a nice visit with family.

I got out for 7 miles this morning.  It rained the whole time, but it was pretty warm so it was nice. Felt good to loosen things up after yesterday's run.

I'm off to London in a few hours so everyone have a nice evening.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

NHLA

Johns rock looking twards Looking Glass Mt. one of the most popular hicking trails

NHLA

Sandy  Johns Rock Looking twards Looking Glass Mt.  Lookig glass is one of the most popular trails. Three miles up & three miles down.

google Cradle to Grave 30k in Pisgah.  Slatey Rock & Pilots Cove best hikeing trail in WNC.  Look at course map these trails are in the middle of the course.

If you are mt biking  Laurel Mt. and Black mt. best trails.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I ran about 6 and got lost in PV.. Got little nervous when I past the jail... Wtf am I.... Then I pop out right where I wanted to go.     Sure are a lot of roosters in PV

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Daydreamer1

Got in a little over 4 1/2 miles today on some very soft county roads. Finding out that there is more stuff to run around here then I thought. Flat as a pancake though.  Planning on a long run tomorrow.

Sure are a lot of roosters in PV

Sue, are you sure you're not in Hawaii?  First you talk about seeing whales from the shore now you're talking about lots of roosters.  When we were touring the back roads of the islands it seemed like you would hear roosters at all hours of the day.