Trailer Trash

Should I try this race? (Read 58 times)

muppy

Just wondering if you all thought I would be able to do a 12 hour race or would it be better to wait? Was looking at Labor Pains 12 hour race near Reading PA, it's in the beginning of September so that's 6 months from now. It's a 5 mile loop and in my little fantasy world I would like to do 50k , but more important I want to have fun and not a death march!

About me, I'm just a noob who's been running for about 3 years, for last year I've been around 25 miles a week and run 2 half marathons a year. Starting to pick my miles back up (I had Morton's neuroma and had it cut out of foot so had 5 weeks off).

So, best idea ever, worst idea ever or any suggestions are appreciated.

When's the race?

muppy

Sorry, just thought of that and put it in, it's first week of September.

Uh oh... now what?

Of course you can do it.  The beauty of time events is there is no finish line, only the sand trickling down.  You will, or course, go in with some sort of goal, but at a time event the DNF and its accompanying fears, anxieties, nightmares, embarrassments, and eye-rolling finger-pointing laughter are removed.  You just do what you can, maybe what you want, enjoy the day of running with, or without, company, meeting other runners, and so on.

The Labor Pains 12-hour is a well-run event, spoken highly of in other places--you have plenty of time to get ready and be way above the death march fitness level.

How can someone who has been running three years still be a noob?  Best wishes with successful recovery from the surgery.

Occasional Runner

I've run this race every year since it started and I've never run all 12 hours. I go out and run 50k and start drinking beer and pacing other runner's. It's a very festive and relaxed event and a lot of people use it to attempt new distances.

Maybe that doesn't answer your question...

Yes, you can do it.

Here's a race report if you're interested.

http://www.slippingslowlyintopain.blogspot.com/2012/09/labor-pains-where-ultra-runners-are-born.html

XtremeTaper

Sure, I think you can do it. I've done the race twice now stupidly going round and round until the RD finally tells me that I don't have time for another lap sometime after 11 hours. I think it's a great event for runners looking to get their first ultra/distance race in the books. I've always enjoyed shouting encouragement to those heading back from the 50k turn around.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

AT-runner

Tim

Hell yea.  I'm with lace-up and XT, this is a fun race and a great time.  A very social race with great beer.  Great RD and support.  Then once your done t with this race, you can do Blues Cruise in October.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Irish Luck

Hell yea.  I'm with lace-up and XT, this is a fun race and a great time.  A very social race with great beer.  Great RD and support.  Then once your done t with this race, you can do Blues Cruise in October.

Yes. Yes. Yes.

And, I did the exact same thing--ran 2012's Labor Pain as my first 50K and followed up with Blues Cruise a few weeks later.

BT survivor since 2003. Trail runner since 2009.

I think brain surgery stimulated my running nerve and made me into a trail runner. I'm grateful for both.

muppy

Thanks everyone! I thought about Blues Cruise too, will have to see how everything goes first. But hopefuly everything will work out!

Occasional Runner

How can someone who has been running three years still be a noob?  

I'm a noob too, then. I suspected as much, but wasn't entirely sure.

Uh oh... now what?

Short-term memory lapses allow me to make recently made mistakes again within a very short time...

nooby nooby noo,

I am forever,

nooby noobie noooo.

It isn't bad as long as you don't have to hear me.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

yes

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

You should. There is no pressure to complete a certain distance, so you can just go out and see what you can do.

Run for fun.

LB2

Do it.

LB2