Trailer Trash

Winter Gear Recommendations (Read 19 times)

moonlightrunner

Good morning! I'm back! Moved, working and running! So excited about winter. I will be running the Frozen Otter in January (64 miles in 24 hours in Wisconsin). Conditions are dicey, and it is self supported. Any recommendations on equiptment? I will need a sleeping bag (for emergency) that is rated to -15, a backpack and some sort of jacket. Footwear is an issue. I hate shoes and I hate being hot. I am disinclined to wear waterproof footwear. I am looking at a paddling shoe I would wear with wool socks. This has worked well for me, but I have never been out in the snow running for that long. Any ideas?

Warden? AT? You both are dedicated snow runners. Anybody?

If anyone has used equipment they are interested in selling, let me know!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

AT-runner

Tim

Looks like someone will be shopping REI.

Do they have a mandatory gear list?  DW likes her Mountain Hardwear bag. It's probably only 0° rated, but I'm sure they have one for -15°.  Big Agnes makes nice stuff but can be pricey.  Warden can probably help more with bivy, but there are some mountain bivy's that you might need.

Weight is key, and you'll need to do some long hikes with your pack to get used to moving with a pack. It's a big difference hiking with no pack vs. hiking with a pack.

Layering is the way to go.  You'll need to avoid sweating as much as you can or you will get cold.

Edit: just saw web page and they have a list.  Says every 8 miles they have place to stop and get hot water, so that can be good or can be tempting.  Looks like fun. If you can rest up at a warm spot, you can avoid having to set up in freezing temperatures.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Hi Moonlight!  Where did you move to?

Do you own any sleeping bags right now?  Do you camp, or are you interested in camping in the future?  A -15 degree bag is very specialized, very large, and I doubt you would use it after the race.  Instead of buying a -15 degree bag, I would ask the RD if you can layer multiple bags.  See this article: https://support.enlightenedequipment.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002770588-Layering-Sleep-Systems

So by carrying say, two 20 degree bags, or whatever, you could then keep one of those bags to use later for camping and sell the other one.  (Much, much easier to sell a 20 degree bag than a -15 degree one.)  I have a Marmot Angelfire (25 degree woman's bag) I don't use anymore if you're interested in that.

In terms of backpacks, I think you need to be honest with you regarding how much you'll run.  If this will mostly be a slog/hike, I would recommend finding a pack geared more toward backpacking.  It will carry your load better and be much more comfortable than a running pack.

If you're not a member at REI, I recommend it.  You can return anything even if you've used it for up to a year.

Running is dumb.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Also, worse case scenario and you have to use your -15 degree sleeping bag, it's not going to do much for you if you have to lay directly on the ground.  I noticed they don't require a sleeping pad, but I would carry one if it were me.  Inflatables are nice, but pricey.  You could just go with one of these guys...it would work in an emergency.

https://www.rei.com/product/810386/therm-a-rest-ridgerest-solite-sleeping-pad

https://www.rei.com/product/829826/therm-a-rest-z-lite-sol-sleeping-pad

Running is dumb.

moonlightrunner

Mandy, I did not move far. Moved my parents out of their house of 50 years, which took months of sorting through a lot of crap. Both my mom and dad felt every item was precious and/or necessary (or possibly necessary) and should be brought to the much smaller new house. We are moved and now I can watch the grow much older in a single level home!

I don't have a sleeping bag. And, I am unlikely to ever need one rated that low. My hope would be that I won't have to use it at all, but it could save my butt if something unexpected stops me from moving forward.

I think I will go try some different backpacks on. Honestly, I expect this will be a slogfest. I hope there is lots of snow. I am better at building endurance than speed. I would love knee deep snow with blizzard conditions. I will opt for what is most comfortable.

I have hiking poles, but I don't think they make snow baskets for them. Will I be able to use them still in snow?

This is the shoe I am considering:

https://www.nrs.com/product/30042.01/nrs-kinetic-water-shoe

I think it will be ok in anything but very wet snow.

This is the jacket I like:

https://www.backcountry.com/nrs-endurance-jacket-mens?skid=NRS005V-GUN-M&ti=UExQIENhdDpNZW4ncyBQYWRkbGluZyBDbG90aGluZzoxOjE1OmJjLW1lbnMtcGFkZGxpbmctY2xvdGhpbmc=

moonlightrunner

Looks like someone will be shopping REI.

Do they have a mandatory gear list?  DW likes her Mountain Hardwear bag. It's probably only 0° rated, but I'm sure they have one for -15°.  Big Agnes makes nice stuff but can be pricey.  Warden can probably help more with bivy, but there are some mountain bivy's that you might need.

Weight is key, and you'll need to do some long hikes with your pack to get used to moving with a pack. It's a big difference hiking with no pack vs. hiking with a pack.

Layering is the way to go.  You'll need to avoid sweating as much as you can or you will get cold.

Edit: just saw web page and they have a list.  Says every 8 miles they have place to stop and get hot water, so that can be good or can be tempting.  Looks like fun. If you can rest up at a warm spot, you can avoid having to set up in freezing temperatures.

All the equipment looks pricey to me. I am scouring Facebook market place and Craig's list hoping to find a deal. I am so geeked about this. I love winter.

I have started training with a backpack and will use poles as soon as I get them back (mended the t a friend 3 years ago). Lol. My neck and shoulders were so sore after 18 miles yesterday.

Gator eye

Whats the trail like? Is a sled possible?

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

All the equipment looks pricey to me. I am scouring Facebook market place and Craig's list hoping to find a deal. I am so geeked about this. I love winter.

More good places to buy used gear:

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/forum/commerce/gear-swap/

https://www.reddit.com/r/GearTrade/

Running is dumb.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Whats the trail like? Is a sled possible?

Depends on snow levels.  The winters in Wisconsin have been all over the place these last few years.  I know one year they barely had any snow for the Frozen Otter.

Running is dumb.

AT-runner

Tim

I have started training with a backpack and will use poles as soon as I get them back (mended the t a friend 3 years ago). Lol. My neck and shoulders were so sore after 18 miles yesterday.

I would suggest borrowing a bag and anything else like mountain bivy, Jet-boil and fire staring things on the mandatory list. The pack is personal and fits are different for each person. Plus everyone needs at least 1 good pack (I saw Warden's garage and he has a bunch).

Looks like -15° bag is only required if temps are low during the race, so don't buy one on the off chance you might possibly kinda need it.

Also check Ski Swaps in the area and look for some cheap ski poles. Expensive hiking poles are nice and light, but you are mostly paying for the ability to collapse them. I've dome snow runs using my downhill ski poles and they worked great (you just won't be able to fold them up).

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

moonlightrunner

I have collapsible poles. I never used them much...as I usually tripped on them. I need to practice practice practice! I will look into ski poles in the event there is deep snow. I want there to be LOTS of snow.