Trailer Trash

Marathon Monday (Read 33 times)

Sandy-2

Planning on doing 5 after work today.  It has finally stopped raining.

Contrats Blargendarg, great time!!

Also congrats to TnC, sounds like a 'fun struggle'.

qotd: I did Boston once, in 2003, it was hotter than hell but not quite as hot as the following year. I didn't have a good day, but I did enjoy all the activities surrounding the marathon and I still have 'the jacket'.  Also my SIL surprised me by showing up to watch and cheer (she also had some other friends running it that year).  And of course Boston is Boston.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

MIA for a few days, too, just work and chores overload. Our youngest had a birthday party at the (indoor) pool yesterday, and it was great. Lots of good food. Got in a decent night run in the rain on gnarly trails. My lights both died on me, and the little bit of fog, and the drizzle, did not make running over the rocks and slippery leaves any easier. Worst was the road, though, last tenth of a mile. Talk about a black hole. I almost fell into the ditch, and bumped my shoulder against a tree there.

7.2 speedy race pace miles today inthe heat. Why does the wind always pick up on the "back" stretch, and how is it that it is always headwind, never tailwind? Coincidence?  I think it's a conspiracy of the weather gods!

Congrats to young Miss Sandy on her first ultra. Never mind the missing "marathon" milestone. There are people here on the forum who have run several ultras, but never a marathon... 

Congrats to DD, Martha, and T&C on their Hyners! Can't wait for your reports!

And congrats to AT on the R2R2R! Anxiously awaiting for the RR and hopefully some pictures!

QOTD: The speedy road people from my running club ran the Boston today. I don't follow the race, though. Probably a great experience if you run it, but otherwise I don't understand the hype around it.

Run for fun.

Sandy-2

Here is a really old chart comparing elevation profiles for selected ultras.  Whoever made it had a little fun by adding the Boston Marathon profile and the dreaded Heartbreak Hill.  

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

After my first Boston I couldn't understand why Heartbreak was so dreaded. As far as hills go, it's not that big or long. I was over it before I realized that it was Heartbreak.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

some call me Tim

No kidding! I mean any kind of late hill in a 'properly raced' marathon isn't ideal, but by and large it's an easy course... most difficult part is that it's all on freakin pavement!

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Cool map Sandy...

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

DigDug2

Thanks for the tips, DC.  I was in Duck and did most of my runs up and down 12 - will have to explore Southern Shores back roads next time (as well as the Nags Head preserve).  There were some races last weekend at the Kitty Hawk memorial (5K on Saturday, half marathon on Sunday) that seemed really popular - may need to sign up next year if we come down the same week.

DD2-- we go down usually once a year and I know how you feel. This last trip, I discovered the the Nags Head woods preserve (managed by TNC).  You're not going to log double digit miles without looping, but it is in a nicely forested section just south of that state park you visited.    I also discovered the back neighborhoods of Southern Shores (just north of 12 and the bay side of Duck Rd).  It's not trails, but , quiet and forested with some hills (it's relative).