Trailer Trash

Lost Brook Trail 10 Miler RR (Read 33 times)

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I was excited to run this race for the 2nd time this year.  Then at work, a new project popped onto the radar that required me to work 12 hour days for 11 days straight...scheduled to run through the weekend of the race.  I was pretty disappointed to have to scrap it.  As luck would have it, the project got delayed a week, which freed up my schedule...back on!  The only issue was that I had ran 25 miles the previous weekend (before I knew about the project delay) and my recovery runs proved that I was in pretty bad shape...my legs felt shot.  After some deliberating, I signed up for the race yesterday

The Lost Brook Trail Race is a fundraiser for a local nature preserve and is an absolutely 0 frills kind of event.  About 100 people turn up for it to run either the 5 mile (1 loop) or 10 mile (2 loops) option, which share a start.  The course is about 99% single track with plenty of twists, turns, rocks, roots, and puddles, but is relatively flat.  I ran the course a lot last year, but the 5 mile loop got pretty old after a while.  There are not many trail runners in the area, so the crowd is largely made up of road runners who want to support the nature preserve or who want to play on the trails for a day.

The race started at 9:00 sharp.  At the start, I fell in around 10th place, but moved up pretty quickly when we went up a hill.  2 guys went out ahead of everyone and had dropped the rest of us by the 1/2 mile point.  I sat in the back of the chase pack and rested.  The guy I was following seemed to pull distance on me whenever the course was flat, but I was quickly right behind him after anything technical.  I followed him through the chase pack until I was third back.  At the 2.5 mile point we approached the first aid station.  I was carrying a handheld so I didn't bother stopping, but the other 2 did.  The fellow who was leading the pace group tried to stick with me, but I pushed it for about 1/2 mile and dropped him out of sight.

With about 1.5 miles to go in the 1st loop, an official looking guy told me I was about 1:45 out of second place, about 5 mins out of 1st.  1:45 was something I could make up, so I set out to do just that.  I finished the first loop and headed out for my 2nd.  This was a lonely 5 miles.  I kept pushing it, because even if I couldn't catch up to 2nd I could at least improve on my time from last year.  I was kind of bummed out thinking that my #10 fastest time on the course at ultrasignup.com would disappear (It's a small thing but I'm kinda attached to it).

When I got to the official looking guy again (mile 8.5), he told me "Oh, I guess the other guys were 5 milers"..."I'm first?" I asked?  "Oh shit!"  I checked behind me, then took off.  The last 1.5 miles all I could think was "I can't let someone take this from me".  I rounded the last turn and ran over the line.  The RD/scorer confirmed I was 1st place 10 miler!  I think my finish time was about 1:15:00, about 45 seconds slower than last year.  2nd, 3rd, and 4th had a nice race to the finish, but they were a solid 3 minutes behind me.  I spent the whole race chasing after phantoms.

I'm psyched to get the win...I knew the fast guys would all sleep in or get sick at some point!

**Ask me about streaking**

jonferg67

Endless trails

Congrats on the 1st place, nice work.

AT-runner

Tim

Nice job.  Chasing phantoms worked for you.

I'll be out of town so will miss the Ironmaster this year (the RD is a bit upset since I usually mark a good part of the course).  I bet you can improve on last year's placement now that you know the course and climbs.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

You may have been chasing phantoms, but it wasn't a phantom win. With a common start and multiple loops you would think they'd have some way of indicating place and gap time at least for the leaders of the longer race.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Birdwell

Wow, that's fast! Congrats!

runtraildc

Great race!  congratulations on the win.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Wow, that's fast! Congrats!

I had to do the math, and you're right- that's fast!  Congrats

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

1st place!  NICE!  Congrats, Jamezilla.  Smile

Running is dumb.

muppy

1st place, that's great, congratulations!

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Thanks for the congrats everyone!

AT - I guess I can't count on a well marked course this year.  Like you said, glad I've been through it once before.  I was 7 minutes behind 1st place last year, and I feel like I can take 7 minutes off of my time...that's the goal.  I already dug out your course description from last year!

WCrunner - When I say "no frills" for a race like this, that means absolutely nothing...no coordination whatsoever.  I will say that I learned this: If you are near the front of the race, ask everyone you pass where you are in the field and where the person ahead of you is.  I passed plenty of volounteers who I'm sure would have told me I was first if I would have asked.  (side note: The 5 milers had #s >81 and the 10 milers were 81 and up...that's why I figured the "officicial looking guy" knew who was in which race (side note to the side note: this wasn't announced, I figured it out by looking at the stacks of #s at registration, so it wasn't common knowledge))

**Ask me about streaking**

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Super speedy indeed.  Not sure I could run 10 road miles in that time.

GL at Iron Master's.  You will do great.  I had considered entering one of the shorter distances just to get out there but I am not running at all recently so not even worth it right now.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Great job! I'm running a flat road 10 miler soon and couldn't imagine that speed. Congrats on the win!!

Sandy-2

Jamezilla:  great job on the run.  Congratulations.

Side note to the side note side note; sometimes the volunteers don't have a clue.  (Hey don't get me wrong, I'm glad they are there and thank them all the time, but sometimes they are simply doing their own job and don't have info on the "big picture".)

tbd.

Low_O2

Great Job, congrats on the win! That's a solid pace, especially on the trails.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Congratulations, great run and speedy fast! Awesome to win the race!

Run for fun.