Trailer Trash

White Rim Trail FKT (Read 35 times)

Occasional Runner

As per acceptable FKT protocol, I am alerting the world to the fact that I intend to challenge the White Rim Trail FKT on the weekend of March 8th. (More announcements will start popping up elsewhere as I get the nerve to share my plans in larger forums) The current speed record on this 100 mile trail is 18:43 and has stood since 2006.

I've been very hesitant to discuss my intentions because I suffered a setback when I got a nasty stomach virus recently and wasn't sure if I would be healthy enough to attempt it. I seem to have bounced back and I feel fit enough to give it a shot.

I have a handful of 100 mile runs that are faster than the current record, but setting a new FKT is far from a sure thing. For me to beat the current record, everything is going to have to be nearly flawless. If I have a nagging pain, a miscue with nutrition, or just feel a little off, it isn't going to happen. But if I'm ever going to do it, now is the time.

A detailed report will follow, regardless of the outcome.

LB2

Good luck. I can't wait to hear about it.

LB2

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I Googled White Rim Trail since I didn't know where it was. This is part of the description:

"Strong bikers can complete this route in one very long, bouncy day. People in four-wheel drive vehicles can also complete it in a day."

After reading that I can't imagine running it in 18 hours. Best of luck in your preparations and attempt.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

AT-runner

Tim

From "Utah Mt. Biking" - The White Rim Trail is Utah's ultimate multi-day party trail. The trail is a 103-mile loop on jeep road through Canyonlands National Park.

Sounds perfect for you, Kelly (except the multi-day part).  Good luck.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Will there be a webcast?

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Occasional Runner

Will there be a webcast?

Hopefully, there will be Facebook updates. I think there's event cell reception down there.

Watoni

Kick ass!

Sandy-2

lace_up, what FKT site do you use to get the official/unofficial times?   I'm thinking about doing one over in Big Bend NP.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do fine.  By the way.... I'm thinking that Jo will figure huge in this, so tell her good luck too.  LOL.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Occasional Runner

lace_up, what FKT site do you use to get the official/unofficial times?   I'm thinking about doing one over in Big Bend NP.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do fine.  By the way.... I'm thinking that Jo will figure huge in this, so tell her good luck too.  LOL.

It's going to be a lot of work for Jo because she won't be able to rest much while I'm running, It's going to be a lot like running the Pony Express 100 where we had no aid stations and had to provide our own crews and vehicles for aid. Pony Express was good practice for this run.

The premier site for FKT's is http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/

It's kind of clumsy but pretty much everything should be listed on this site, and if it's not, then it's probably not a legit FKT.

SheCan

Do you have a good support crew?  I hope you have perfect weather, and a good safe run.  Please be careful and the best of luck to you!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Occasional Runner

Do you have a good support crew?  I hope you have perfect weather, and a good safe run.  Please be careful and the best of luck to you!

Thanks, right now the weather looks perfect. I probably have the best support crew in the business. We work pretty well together.