Trailer Trash

Ain't it Friday yet, Thursday (Read 27 times)

sugnim

Good morning all.  My alarm went off this morning, and I took a look at the freezing rain that was falling outside and went back to bed.  I wimped out.  No running for me today.

QOTD: Do you tend to wear out the uppers or the lowers first on your running shoes?  I have a pair of ASICS that are really comfortable and the lowers still have many miles to go on them.  But I see that the uppers are wearing out in several places which doesn't make me happy.  I know some people use duct tape to remedy this, but duct tape isn't exactly known for its breathability.

runtraildc

quiet day today.  We all must be taking the day off!  Got in a bit over 4 miles yesterday on my favorite trail.  But it was work-- ice, mud, water and frozen ground.  Mostly all at the same time.  That thin layer of mud over ice/frozen ground is the worst, especially when moving along the stream.  Had visions of just sliding down into the water...    Today is a rest day.

qotd:  the bottoms.  Sugnim- would goretex tape work?

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I also planned to get up and see if I could handle running with two dogs but didn't feel up to it when the alarm went off.  So walked the dogs and loaded the house with wood since we are getting 3 days of rain coming..although it will still be upper 50s.

Running...oh brought my stuff for a lunchtime 5 miler.  My run with the group ended up being a pathetic 3.78 and I  only got that far because I would run up the hills and then return to them walking the hills.  What's a hill workout if you actually walk them!  The group letter was sick and a couple others so they wanted to keep it short.  Yea I know I could of keep going.   This is mean but....there's a woman in the group who wears gators...ummmm we are running on the road!!!

QOTD: Fairly equal  maybe I replace them too soon.  They still look good on top and have treads on the bottom.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

AT-runner

Tim

Good afternoon ladies.  Slow around here today.

I ran 6 at lunch yesterday and 12 today on some logging roads.  Cold and windy.  I think I froze my nose off.  WC was around 2 degrees with temps around 18 and holding steady. Weather guy said 30mph gusts in the mountains; oh crap I was in the mountains.  Warming up over the weekend, so snow and ice should be getting softer.

QOTD:  I wear out the bottoms first.  Only pair that I ever wore out the uppers were Altra Oylmpus' first model, and I think they acknowledged a problem with that and fixed them on the second model.  I don't tie my shoes very tight (I actually tie them once in a knot and slip them on and off). Guy at LRS told me that was why I didn't get much upper wear, but I don;t know if that's true or not.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

XtremeTaper

Good afternoon all.. Today was a pretty rough 6 mile trail run on the hills at Coventry Woods. Rough in terms of trail conditions. My regular trail route hadn't seen much traffic so it was a rough route of rutted snow and scattered deep footprints. Some nutcase just had to be out there this past Monday during the rain and slush I suppose (no, the nutcase wasn't me!). In any case it was pretty slow going but thankfully much of the last few miles had seen much more traffic and the trail was more packed snow and easier to manage. No double today, just a single run which is good as it's cold and blustery.

QOTD: It varies. I have a pair of Cascadia's I'm wearing now as winter screw shoes. They seem to still have good tread, but there are a couple of rips in the uppers. My current pair of street shoes is a pair of Altra Lone Peaks. Still fine in the upper, but the tread has pretty much worn down.

Queen - Gators on the road.. ha, no that is not mean. She must have been making a fashion statement.

AT - Hey, conditions are 1000% better than last year at this time. Just a few more weeks without any major dumpings of snow please.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

AT-runner

Tim

AT - Hey, conditions are 1000% better than last year at this time. Just a few more weeks without any major dumpings of snow please.

Yes they are, and I'm loving the conditions.  But I'm not a fan of strong winds on a cold day because I sweat and then the wind freezes me out.  Been wearing micro spikes more this year due to the chopped up snow from snowmobiles, and they are working well.  The AT is a bit of a mess right now because of all the frozen deep footprints.  I find it hard to run in hikers footprints.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

NorthernHarrier

Morning, er afternoon I guess,  So up fairly early to run. Took a look at the temp, -4F took a deep breath and figured I am up so go for it. That's getting a tad chilly and pretty near my limit. Luckily there wasn't too much of a breeze so the windchill wasn't too awful. 7 miles total in a heroic effort. Yeah, spring can show up anytime now.

Sugnim-- freezing rain is about the worst. No dishonor in skipping that.

Queen--You must look like a beast in their eyes. Good for the self esteem.

QOTD--When I retire a pair of shoes they are showing no visible wear, neither the outsoles or the uppers. Just usually feel shot. I've a couple dozen  retired shoes scattered all over that still are looking good enough for wearing about. Drive DW crazy with all my shoes all over. (simple pleasures )

Sandy-2

5 miles around Hyde Park this morning. It was a rain and snow mix, nothing on the ground though. Kind of a crudy morning, but there were some times when there were big fluffy flakes coming down so that was nice while it lasted.

qotd: the first thing to go is the uppers where my big toe hits and then the inside of the heel gets warn out. I usually keep going in them till the heel strike area gets worn out or my hip starts barking at me.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Watoni

Work, maybe a short run. The last two days were short but with some steep short hills. If I run 5k with 500+ feet of elevation gain (including vaulting a tree trunk or two) in under 25, I am gassed (maybe sad, but true).

QOTD: Depends on the shoes .... Salomon (uppers), Sportivas (lowers)

Got in a nice ski this morning, about 3.5 miles.  9 degrees but so sunny! I had to head back out for a quick run on my lunch break because the sun was calling me.  Served as an excellent reminder as to why I hate running downtown.  Got in a sad 2.5 before I got sick of getting sprayed with gravel and weaving from sidewalk to road based on which was less shitty. Spring can't get here soon enough.  I'm sleeping in tomorrow... -25 windchill no thanks.

QOTD: road shoes always the lowers (ASIC noosafasts) trail shoes the uppers (usually because they are stank mud nasty stiff after awhile - Salomons)