Trailer Trash

Jemez 50 mile RR (Read 49 times)

Low_O2

Finally got around to finishing my Jemez 50 mile race report. We forgot our camera at home, so unfortunately the pictures are limited. But I put in plenty of extra words to make up for it... It would have been nice to have a camera along as the scenery and course were awesome. This was my first 50 miler and I am pretty happy with how it turned out, no real low points(besides the crazy weather) and ended up 7th overall.

http://pursuitoftrailslesstraveled.blogspot.com/2014/06/jemez-mountain-50-mile.html

Gator eye

Great race with tough conditions.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Great report until I got to the end.  You ran this with only 1800 calories from tailwind??? Is that a typo? If not, that is amazing and you might just have a gift.

Pictures would have been nice but understandable about the camera.

Thanks for sharing.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

XtremeTaper

Awesome run. You had a great first 50 on a tough course and those conditions sound miserable at the end. I guess they decided the blizzard was too much for the rest of the field. Very cool that you were fast enough to get through.

So you went with all liquid calories? I could not do that but then again I am an old slowpoke.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Low_O2

Yeah, ~1800 calories of Tailwind was my only "food". It has been working great for me. I had planned for closer to 2200 calories, but continue to find that I have a hard time taking in much more than about 150 calories per hour. I was worried I would start to get behind on calories in the 50 mile, but my energy level felt good.

Thanks for reading!

AT-runner

Tim

Great run on your 50 mile debut.  Hope recovery goes smoothly for you.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

I have been waiting to read this report. I am glad you had a great run. Congratulations. I am glad to hear the Tailwind is still working well.

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

congratulations on what sounds like a very tough race!  I run in N2's as well, but just not as fast Big grin

I had a friend that was running in the 50 mile, he made it in ~ 40 miles before they called him off- he definitely thought it was the right call (he's had to perform RD duties before-obviously not an easy call)

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Birdwell

Congrats!

I noticed you wearing a vest in the last pic, looks like an ultraspire. Which one is it? How do you like the vest plus handhelds?

I've been trying that on a few runs here and there lately and I'm trying to decide if I think it could work out for a longer race.

Low_O2

AT - Thanks! Recovery is going well. I am really surprised how good I have felt since the race, hardly any soreness.

LB2 - Yep, Tailwind didn't let me down. Good to hear it's working for you as well!

Warden - Love my N2's. I'm excited to see what's next for PI, I've heard rumors of some pretty sweet models coming soon! It was definitely the right choice to call the race. I consider myself pretty backcountry savvy and it got scary out there.

Birdwell - Vest is an Ultraspire surge. I had it in my drop bag with my rain shell loaded inside, just in case I wanted to carry it with. Turns out I didn't need to carry the pack as I should have just put my jacket on at the aid station. So I pretty much just wore an empty pack to the finish. I think it could work well to use a pack to carry food, etc and use handhelds for fluids. I find the handhelds easier to fill and I usually drink more when using them.

jonferg67

Endless trails

What an awesome 50 debut, congrats.

That's one hardcore pre-race breakfast!

muppy

Tough race, tough conditions, and you ran an awesome race for your first 50 miler, congratulations!

Low_O2

Thanks guys!

That's one hardcore pre-race breakfast!

That breakfast was not the most enjoyable, but it seemed to do the trick! Next time hopefully I'll remember some salt and pepper.

MarkO1969

Excellent RR!  Congrats on the high placing and great race in tough conditions on a tough course.

Mark O.

Rocklin, CA

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Thats a great debut...Congrats!  The race report was a good read too!

**Ask me about streaking**