Trailer Trash

Ready Set Go Weekender (Read 22 times)

moonlightrunner

Hello? Anyone? Beueller?

The rain has stopped...and it is time for me to get out for a run.

Runs have been much better lately. I expect the trend to continue.

QOTD: Do you have any type of running gear you love to buy whether you need it or not? Currently, hydration systems hold some fascination for me. I have bought several packs and bottle types...and I am about to pull the trigger on another.

Hope everyone is having a good time out on the trails?

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

AT-runner

Tim

Long walk on the beach and then a short flat run.

Looks like Bert is at 57 miles and Craig is at 52 miles though 19 hours. Bert hasn't had a lap in over an hour. Bad weather is moving in to the race area with rain and thunderstorms. Hope they are well.

Edit - I just saw photos from race, they had rain last night and course is a muddy mess with ankle deep water in parts.

Happy Mother's Day to you moms out there.

QOTD: Shoes are the only steady replacement that I make. I have shirts and shorts from years ago, but change out my shoes at the slightrosign of wear. My pack is 3 years young.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Sandy-2

Today (Sun) is a SRD, flying to London.

Go Bert and Craig!!!

qotd: Like AT just shoes, but mainly due to them wearing out, but even then I put it off until it’s really necessary.

tbd.

runtraildc

No run today, which is the 4th day in a row with no running. No injury, not a motivation issue, just busy. I plan to run tomorrow. It will be in the 60s and perfect running weather.

Sandy-- you seem to be on a busy travel stretch. Enjoy London.

Moonlight-- wish we got your rain. Seems to be sticking just north of us at it moves east.

AT-- must be a perfect beach weekend.

qotd: Socks. Smartwool and now have expanded to include Darn Tough. I can never have too many stockpiled wool socks. Especially as DH and the kiddos steal (then lose) them.

GC100k

Hello? Anyone? Beueller?

The rain has stopped...and it is time for me to get out for a run.

Runs have been much better lately. I expect the trend to continue.

QOTD: Do you have any type of running gear you love to buy whether you need it or not? Currently, hydration systems hold some fascination for me. I have bought several packs and bottle types...and I am about to pull the trigger on another.

Hope everyone is having a good time out on the trails?

5+ miles with my wife today. Just getting back into it after recovering from my ultra. One of my two Strava friends ran (and won) the Gettysburg marathon three weeks ago, then the next Sunday ran the ultra I ran, then last Sunday ran the Pittsburgh marathon (mid-pack time, probably paced a friend), then ran 28 miles yesterday. I'm up to jogging 5 miles after being destroyed by one race.

My wife has been running her 3-5 miles 4-6 days a week for 30+ years, she's the one who started me running, but has never had any desire to race. She decided she wants to do a Fall marathon. When she found out that you have to pay to enter (I've kept this a secret apparently), she thinks we should just run 26.2 miles on our own, and that may be what happens.

QOTD: A few years ago I found I could wear a smaller and more available shoe size than I'd been wearing, and went on a splurge and bought 5 pairs of running shoes within a month or two. Since then, although I'm always shopping for shoes, I don't actually buy them very often. I've bought one pair in the last year. I don't buy any other official running stuff, shorts and shirts are just from Target or whatever, but I did buy myself a hydration vest for Christmas, which has proved very useful. Oh, and I did buy some Injini socks this spring.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

my 12k went pretty decently- it's a nice single track course with several decent climbs (and descents!)- DW and Tiny E were cheering me on at about the 1/2 way point 

125/325 overall and 4/17 in my age group, I was a minute off the pace to claim 3rd in my division- doh!

they had a Vietnamese food truck at the finish line, we got a really good lunch and one of the local breweries offered a free pint of a special brew for the racers- so a pretty darn good day all around!

a buddy is celebrating a birthday today, his wife is hosting a pizza/beer party this evening at another local brewery- so the IPA is really flowing today!

qotd: packs are definitely a weakness, I do thin my herd fairly often though and recoup a little $, but I've probably purchased 10+ running packs in the last five years (and probably 30+ packs of all kinds! )

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

3 easy slow miles through the hood with the kids on bikes. I am coughing like crazy from the bonchitis, but a little airing it out seems to do some good. Just have to be careful not to overdo it. It went surprisingly easy, especially on the legs.

Way to go Craig and Bert!

QOTD: Right now I don't feel I deserve any new gear or equipment. I'd need some new shoes, though, and was thinking of the 5-finger monkey socks. That would be fun and something different. Maybe I'll pull the trigger on those this summer.

Run for fun.

AT-runner

Tim

Craig continued on and hit his 100k goal and Bert stayed at 57.2 miles. Weather looked pretty bad and trail looked swamped. Can't wait for RR's with pics. Nice job guys on a hard day.  Wish I was there to experience it with you.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Had the slowest and most painful 50K at D3 yesterday. About mile 10 my heel was hurting and running made it worse, so I made the decision to walk to the finish if that's what it took to not DNF. I had 3 long breaks for people to work on my heel to see if they could reduce the pain because I was beginning to limp badly even walking. Net result was a 10:52:31 finish. Couldn't quite push it hard enough to finish before the late afternoon downpour arrived, so the last couple laps were wet, still better the the period we had with heat and sun earlier. There was a lot of attrition up and down the line in the 24-hour, not sure about the 12-hour. Many of the favorites didn't even reach 100 miles.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

WC - Way to stick it out and finish that sucker, despite the pain kicking so early.  Tough day for everyone.

Looks like Bert is at 57 miles and Craig is at 52 miles though 19 hours. Bert hasn't had a lap in over an hour. Bad weather is moving in to the race area with rain and thunderstorms. Hope they are well.

Edit - I just saw photos from race, they had rain last night and course is a muddy mess with ankle deep water in parts.

Yeah, I dropped after 17 hours+ and 58 miles.  On my last planned lap, I caught up with Craig, which was a stroke of good luck, as it was nice spending that last lap chatting and getting to know each other before I turned in.  Just some highlights....

I was well on goal pace until the heavy cold rain hit overnight.  Steady rain started at 1 AM and progressively got heavier.  By 3:30 AM I was soaked to the bone and cold and with no additional dry colder weather gear, I had to take a long unplanned break.  By 12 hours, I knew my goal was out of reach.

The mud the next morning got progressively worse lap after lap as the runners kneaded it into awesome clay potting material, but bad for running.  With other factors at play (to be noted in the RR), I decided to turn the goal of 85 around and make it 58.

Craig looked great (or maybe he has a great poker face) when I threw in the towel.  Given the conditions, I think he did awesome!

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Daydreamer1

Trying to take care of a woman who not only is celebrating mother's day, but has a birthday as well today, is keeping me busy.  Told the kiddos that she's their mother, not mine, that part was up to them.  But with the support she gave me Friday and Saturday I figured I couldn't slack on the birthday .

Now I'm going to strip off the shoes and lay with my feet in the air. Maybe I can get the swelling to go down some. Went to church this morning in hiking shoes because I didn't have a prayer of a chance of getting my left foot into a pair of dress shoes.

A big thanks to Bert-o and or Mrs. Bert-o. DW saw you all walking in with with stuff in plastic containers and that's what made her decide to come home and get some. We had our stuff in bags which would have led to a soggy mess.

(or maybe he has a great poker face)

This.  More on that in the RR when I get around to that.   I was glad that we got to do that last lap together. I had been keeping an eye out for you but it's amazing how you can be doing laps on a 1.43 mile course and rarely bump into each other.

QOTD:  Not really. I kind of pride myself on keeping things as long as possible. My bike computer has ~44k miles on it and dates back to about 2000-2001. Parts of it are glued together.  I only buy running stuff when I need it or it's on sale.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Awesome races, Berto andCraig!

Wcrunner: congrats on gritting this one out! I hope your heel has not suffered long term damage and will recover soon.

No run today, even though I felt up to it, but I can’t risk the bronchitis getting worse. I’ll have to be patient and heal it over time.

I had had a nice Mother’s Day weekend, very enjoyable. The less “expectations” I have, the more fun it is. I just go with the flow.

Run for fun.

Sandy-2

This should have been "race weekend". Good job Bert-o, Craig, WCrunner and mt.  Looking for ward to the race reports.

After spending yesterday in the plane and getting to the hotel here at 11pm (weather delay in Munich), I got up early and did 4 mi along the Thames in London this morning.  Beautiful blue sky and crisp 50 deg.  My hip was giving me some issues, but I think it was from sitting all day yesterday.

Full royal wedding hype currently going on here. I'm joining some friends for a hike in the Brecon Beacons next weekend so we're getting outta here for the actual nuptials.

tbd.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.