Trailer Trash

Hazards of phones while hiking (Read 52 times)

Teen falls off Alaska cliff

The area where this happened is near Denali National Park where there are many large hotels associated with large bus tour companies. (called "Glitter Gulch")  They hire lots of summer helpers, who sometimes need some instruction in basics.

And of course an Alaska reality TV show was there filming. geez.

(ed: should have clarified, they were filming for Alaska State Troopers show, iirc, and were there for the rescue)

The phone part just appeared in today's stories.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
    LB2

Thank God a camera crew was able to get there!!! I swear we have turned into a nation of complete morons.

LB2

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

It was even on the German News and in German newspapers/online news.

BTW, Mt. Denali was about 130 miles away (as the crow flies), but it always makes for a good picture.

The reality TV crew apparently was there to film something else, and they caught the rescue on tape, not the fall. Lucky bastards. Now this is going to be turned into its own show and broadcasted in the fall.   (Just realized it, no pun intended)

And the conclusion was: It was not the cellphone that endangered the teenager's life, no, it saved her life. At least that's what the article in German pointed out...

Run for fun.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Aside from the cell phone usage and film crew, it sounds more like an error in judgment in hiking alone and not turning back when conditions deteriorated to the danger point, possibly an issue of inexperience in the wilderness.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Aside from the cell phone usage and film crew, it sounds more like an error in judgment in hiking alone and not turning back when conditions deteriorated to the danger point, possibly an issue of inexperience in the wilderness.

I agree. Or just a carefree mind, despite appropriate experience (apparently she hiked a lot, but I am not sure where).

I myself have put myself into situations which were potentially dangerous, and where in hindsight I realized I should have turned back earlier. IMHO, it's a matter of bad judgement, and over-estimating your abilities and "hoping for the best" when this is not reasonable any more.

It may happen to anyone, and most people do something stupid at some point in their life. Just the news articles about this specific incident, and the conclusions drawn, are a bit off.

Run for fun.

This happens a fair amount up here. The lodges near Denali have summer help who they do try to provide some orientation for, but well, some people pay more attention than others. Many may not have vehicles, so they just go where they can from the lodge. They can take shuttle buses into the national park. There's also a lot of rescues on Flattop near Anchorage - popular hike, but some nasty sections ( I haven't been up it )

I wouldn't call it wilderness since I'm pretty sure she was right off the road as indicated by these pictures.  (interesting that no Alaska media carried those pics, although I have a suspicion they will at least be referred to in a few days by one reporter / columnist) It's right off the main highway between Anchorage and Fairbanks. But under the right weather conditions, anything in this state can be life-threatening.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog