Trailer Trash

Wonderfully Wet Wednesdaily (Read 23 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Morning Trailers!  Got some much needed moisture last night and supposedly more today and tomorrow. Got a nice run in yesterday evening, hoping for the same today- I'll gladly run in the rain 

qotd: little known fact about the area you live?  In Helena in 1888, it had more millionaires per capita than any other city in the world!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Gator eye

Ten this morning, legs feeling better than they have in a long time.

QOTD: hummmm?

Queen of Nothing

Sue

A nice 6 with mutts this am.   Dead turkey is still on trail but a little more of him missing.

QOTD: Red Dog mine was founded by 3 MEN under 22 and was named by the youngest who was 12.  My guess is that they came up with that name because our dirt here is very red.  OK I had to google that secret.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

runtraildc

Meh-- I'm waiting for a delivery and I think they're going to wait until the very end of the day. Between that and my toasted legs, I think a rest day is in order. I'm not even going to pretend that I *might* get to the gym later. It is a gorgeous day so I am getting in yardwork while waiting for the delivery truck.

qotd:  There are no secrets here in DC.

AT-runner

Tim

Lunch meeting, so no run today. Picking up DD#1 at the airport tomorrow morning around 10, so looking at trails along the way that I can get in some miles before I get her. Might have to do a section of the C&O, and I rally don't want to do that if I can help it.

QOTD:  The real reason the Battle of Gettysburg took place here was because of the mountains in the area. These mountains forced the early road construction to go around, so as they say "all roads lead toward Gettysburg".  Both the North and South were heading to different areas and had no choice but to meet up in Gettysburg.  There is an old story that the South was looking for shoes since Gettysburg had 2 shoe factories, but this has been shown to be a myth. The main roads at the time from Pittsburgh to Baltimore and from Harrisburg to DC crossed through Gettysburg.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

bagge_pants

8.5 road and trail miles with 950' gain in 10:30 avg back in LA now. The weather is pleasant.

Neat qotd: San Pedro used to be called Bay of Smokes by the indians because of all the tanning, signaling and cooking; it was a big port town with huge commerce even before the white man arrived - same with the whole of los Angeles - trade routes to and from the plains, central america, canada and the sea ended here.

Daydreamer1

Having a freaking miserable day at work. Left my cell phone in the car after my run yesterday and DW took it along with her to work .  She goes north to work, I go south. So of course we have to get dispatched into the wilds where the paper maps are not good and I didn't have the phone to look it up on my map program.  Then I really needed a Monster Rehab for some caffeine and everyone is out .  On top of that the boss was being a douche .  Maybe I'll get in some stretching.

QOTD: The PA Wilds are one of the largest stretches of undeveloped or slightly developed areas in the Country. Supposedly there is as much public land as in Yellowstone. The good part is that it is both scenic and full of things to do including, hunting, fishing, biking, snowmobiling, hiking and of course trail running. Over 2 million acres in that area and relatively few people.  I believe we have the largest Elk herd east of the Rockies and the skies are dark enough at night in some areas that the Milky Way supposedly casts a shadow.

BTW. In the late 1870 to early 1880 period Williamsport reportedly had the highest number of Millionaires on a per capita basis.  After the lumber was gone they all heeded the advice to "Go West Young/Old Man" .

moonlightrunner

No run today. It is almost nice enough to take the kids out in the running stroller...but not quite with one still seal barking.

Qotd: well, I live in a city that was a fitness mecca long before fitness was fashion. The Battle Creek Sanitarim was where people came to get healthy with exercise and good food. The birth place of breakfast cereal and home to John Harvey and W.K. Kellogg and were joined by C.W. Post along with the heads of nearly 40 other cereal entrepreneurs, who were free to make wild claims about the healthful effects of their products. And...the birth place of additives (sugar and such) to make all that healthy food taste good..The Best to You Each morning.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Sandy-2

Went to a business dinner last night, in Korea that means that I have a bit of a hangover this morning.  ;-)  Needless to say, I'll be running about 5 mi after work today.

qotd: Ok these are well known facts around here, but perhaps not too well known elsewhere.  There is a Buddhist temple here that was built in 678, it was destroyed during a Japanese invasion in 1592, and then rebuilt in 1713.  It's still there today next to trail and a stream (I'll be doing the 30k trail run near there in two weeks).  Let those numbers sink in for a while.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

bagge_pants

Got out again for 3+ barefoot miles on the beach.

I liked reading all the QOTDs

Sandy-2

Sorry but the following is a shameless beg/plug for donations.

My DD Devan is branching out again (as if endurance horse riding and the odd ultra run aren't enough) into an impromptu bike ride.  Oh to be 23 again.  This one is a charity MS150 150 mile bike ride from Houston to Austin.  Although she'd probably prefer to do it on horseback, she assures me that she'll be doing it on a bike.  If you are inclined, any small donation would be greatly appreciated to help her reach her goal as well as the fundraising goals of the MS society. Donations may be made via the following:

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/site/TR/Bike/TXHBikeEvents?px=14734052&pg=personal&fr_id=27003&fb_action_ids=1257169017634076&fb_action_types=og.comments

Thanks,

Sandy

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

NHLA

6 miles 49 min Mills River. Easy and flat.

Qotd  Jump Off Rock  Indian princess jumped off because lover didn't come back from battle.

Blowing Rock Indinan princess jumped off but wind blew her back on rock so she lived.

I think there was a high suicide rate among indian princess.

Beaumont House is haunted by the owner.  The yankees shot him in his living room.

Later Elvis was buying the home before he died and people still see him there.

Champion Hills got its name because Jack Dempsey trained there.