Trailer Trash

Should I go for 50 in January? (Read 41 times)

some call me Tim

Hey, so...

I just finished a (first) 50k which went ok, though I think I kind of outran my fitness toward the end. Still, by all counts I'm recovering exceptionally well and thus looking at potentially running the Beast of Burden 50 here in WNY come mid-January. It's dead flat and on gravel and possibly snow, even if temps are usually in the teens (which sounds more like a logistical issue). I expect to take the rest of the week off and then spend a week on the bike before getting back to running - it's something I do each year and it's served me well. After that there are a good 9 weeks of training available including what'd be needed for tapering. And further down the road I'm running Boston in the spring, but more as a bucket list thing than a serious attempt to improve my road marathon time.

Training for the last couple of years has been both very conservative and successful, but I'm realizing that my base is solid enough now that I could probably get a little more out of it. Ideally, I'd have gone for another 50k, but regionally I'd have to wait till next summer (the Beast is now also running a 25, though it's not that compelling to me).

Anyway... am I delusional or could I pull this off?

(yeah yeah, false dichotomy)

Get a handful of long training runs in and go easy out there?

LB2

I would do it. You might not have been ecstatic about your 50k, but that was a pretty good time if I remember correctly. Was it under 5 hours? You may have gone out a little too fast or something that reduced you to a walk for part of the later stages. You could probably squeeze in a 6 to 8 hour run or two between now and then, maybe 3. At some point, you need to get that first one done and not worry about the outcome being perfect because it won't be. And then, you take what you learned from that one and build on it. Then, one day you will think you have a couple of things figured out, and you will have one or two where you look and feel like you don't know what the heck you are doing.

LB2

XtremeTaper

Sure, you could do it... it's the natural progression of things you know. It's not the sort of race I would enjoy but if it appeals to you I'd say go for it. I really don't think you need any super long training runs for this. A few in the 25-30 mile range and your regular mileage? should do it. It's fairly good timing for Boston as well... far enough away I mean.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

AT-runner

Tim

Yes.

Agree with getting in a few 25-30 mile runs.  You did great at the 50k.

The biggest difference for me was fine tuning nutrition requirements for a longer day, so practice that on your longer runs.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

It sounds doable based on your recent 50k performance, but the question is do you want to do it? I think with some more long runs and/or back to backs between now and January,  and keeping up a good weekly mileage you'll finish the race.

some call me Tim

Thanks everyone!... good food for thought. (50k time was 4:47) In the end, yeah I am interested in doing it. Trails and balmy temps are ideal, but there's something appealing about this, too, and it doesn't hurt that I don't have to travel. Also my buddy Zach, who won this race last year, offered advice and pacing. I'm resolved to sit on it (and research) during the two weeks of scheduled rest, but you all have me thinking I'll probably give it a shot.

AT-runner

Tim

For me, the biggest difference in moving up to 50 mile distance was the amount of walking (power-hiking).  I did  not train to walk for my first 50 miler, and was surprised by how many people walked past me when I was walking.

Add in some walking sessions, and practice transitioning from running to walking back to running.  You're younger and faster than I am, but most people will have to walk at some time during their first 50 miler.

Good luck.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

For me, the biggest difference in moving up to 50 mile distance was the amount of walking (power-hiking).  I did  not train to walk for my first 50 miler, and was surprised by how many people walked past me when I was walking.

This reminds me of something I saw a couple of times last weekend at Pinhoti. At one point, I had a girl in front of me running. I walked up behind her and stayed there for a little while on a climb. She looked around a couple of times and finally said, "Well, you are just making my running look stupid. I think I'll walk, too." She was expending way too much energy going up that hill. I saw this a few times throughout the day.

I didn't have the fastest time in that race by a long shot, but I ran within my capabilities and was able to run all the way through the race. And being able to run across the finish line was very important to me. I wasn't able to do that at Rocky Raccoon because my knee was a complete mess. I like to finish feeling like a runner, not a hiker.

LB2

some call me Tim

Excellent. I did incorporate some walk breaks into the longest runs in 50k training, but the actual walking was unfocused at best. I guess that'll make some of those extended runs in this next short buildup more doable, too. And with temps likely in the teens and the wind coming down the canal, not being reduced to straight up walking it in will have more than one advantage!

Occasional Runner

At one point, I had a girl in front of me running. I walked up behind her and stayed there for a little while on a climb. She looked around a couple of times and finally said, "Well, you are just making my running look stupid. I think I'll walk, too." She was expending way too much energy going up that hill. I saw this a few times throughout the day.

Why was there a chick in front of you?

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Haahaahaaa

Why was there a chick in front of you?

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄