Trailer Trash

Tropical Mondaily (Read 16 times)

AT-runner

Tim

Looks like PA finally got summer weather.  Hot and humid for day #2.

Bugs and spider web season now.  I got pretty covered with webs yesterday and had to grab a stick for part of the run to break webs.

QOTD:  Bug remedies.  Lyme is really bad again in our area, and I just usually use OFF Bug Spray.  What does everyone else use, and is Lyme a problem in your areas?

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

We had a little break in the mugginess about mid-week last week. Today, it was back in full force. Today was an SRD, but I got up and ran a 3.25 mile loop on some trail I did some work on yesterday.

QOTD: Supposedly, it isn't really bad down here, but I have a friend who said he had it. I am not completely convinced he had Lyme. I am no doctor, but I won't let that stop me from diagnosing people. I know some doctors, and that qualifies me. But seriously, I don't think it is a big deal down here.

As far as bug remedies, I don't really have much of a problem with mosquitoes. They normally don't bother me that much, but horseflies and deer flies drive me nuts. This stuff works well at keeping horseflies and deer flies off me:

http://www.cutterinsectrepellents.com/Products/Personal-Repellents/Cutter-Alternative-Solutions/Natural-Aerosol.aspx

DISCLAIMER: They do not market this as a horsefly repellent, but it really worked for me.

LB2

jonferg67

Endless trails

SRD today. The heat is creeping its way into NY, yesterday's run was manageable

but I could feel the humidity setting in.

QOTD: I've tried many remedies, to varying degrees of success. Lyme remains an

issue in our area, I don't take any precautions other than removing tics. Last year I

found one dug in and went to the clinic for the single dose of antibiotic.

Daydreamer1

Sitting at work on another lovely day when I have better things, like running, to do at home .  Ankles are really bothering me lately. I think it's a product of too much road running and too many injuries conspiring to give me some arthritis. Oh well, poop happens.

QOTD:  Haven't had a tick in years. When I'm doing a lot of trail running I'm pretty religious about treating my clothes with Permethrin. Seems like a lot of people don't like it, won't use it but for those that do they swear by it for tick bite prevention.  For regular old bugs I just use something with a lot of DEET.

Oh the conundrum of Lyme disease.  It's the number one complaint of the psychotic  Hypochondriac. It's almost a chic complaint among some people in this area. One family in our church always has it. They never find the ticks but just know that's what they have .  Of course all of them are nuts.   At the same time it's a very real and potentially devastating disease and I know one person who actually did end up dying from it. I  pity the Dr's who are trying not to abuse antibiotics but still have to balance out the danger of not treating if someone actually does have it.  I'm not a big fan of vaccines for everything as I think they carry a lot more risk then the medical field admits, but I do wish there was a reliable one for Lyme.  The benefits would easily outweigh the risks.

AT-runner

Tim

XT - looks like you might have to deal with some warm weather for your race this weekend.  Hope forecast is wrong.  Good luck.

NHLA

7 miles yesterday and 5 miles today.

Qotd 40% deep is as strong as you can buy. Off makes wipes I keep in my fanny pack in case I forget to put on spray

AT-runner

Tim

7 miles yesterday and 5 miles today.

Qotd 40% deep is as strong as you can buy. Off makes wipes I keep in my fanny pack in case I forget to put on spray

Might have to look for those.

XtremeTaper

I did a few short creaky runs this weekend. One of them somewhat interesting at Warwick Park. There was a marked course for part of my run and when I hit the main parking lot I saw some runners with bibs. When I got to the big hill climb I noticed some inspirational saying along with a photo of some guy in a hospital had been posted along the trail. All during the climb I kept seeing them over and over and when I reached the top I paused a bit and became somewhat emotional on the last photo. Here I am whining about a little knee pain and there is a guy who most likely was a wounded serviceman with a smile on his face even as he is in the hospital. Perspective is everything. I silently thanked him for his service and his lesson.

No run today. Maybe some light yardwork followed by a dip in the pool and a cold one or two on the deck.

In other news, saw the orthopod today, told him of my knee niggles and my plans to run 100 miles this weekend. He did not flinch, examined my knee, did not think there were any new structural issues, then drained 50cc of fluid from the joint and gave a cortisone shot to top it all off. He wished me luck and sent me on my way.

QOTD: Ticks are a problem here. I don't take any special precautions other then checking myself and showering post run. The missus goes over the Lady extensively to see how many she has carried home. For horse/deer flies someone once recommended carrying dryer sheets but I always forget to try that technique.

AT - Yeah, it looks like a warm one. Last year was 85-88 I believe as a high, but humidity I think will be higher this year.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

while everyone is sweltering, we're enjoying cool weather- we had our hot weather last week and simply passing it on 

got two nice runs of 7-ish miles each over the weekend; one running with a buddy when I was in Missoula- I'd say I'm getting pretty close to being fully recovered- yeah!

strength training this evening

qotd: no Lymes here, but plenty of ticks in the spring- they can carry a variety of diseases, but fortunately not Lyme's

the biting bug situation here isn't too bad; when I'm headed for the mountains, I'll throw in a couple of Ben's wipes- 30% DEET, they weigh next to nothing and when you do need them seems like you really need them

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

I did a few short creaky runs this weekend. One of them somewhat interesting at Warwick Park. There was a marked course for part of my run and when I hit the main parking lot I saw some runners with bibs. When I got to the big hill climb I noticed some inspirational saying along with a photo of some guy in a hospital had been posted along the trail. All during the climb I kept seeing them over and over and when I reached the top I paused a bit and became somewhat emotional on the last photo. Here I am whining about a little knee pain and there is a guy who most likely was a wounded serviceman with a smile on his face even as he is in the hospital. Perspective is everything. I silently thanked him for his service and his lesson.

In other news, saw the orthopod today, told him of my knee niggles and my plans to run 100 miles this weekend. He did not flinch, examined my knee, did not think there were any new structural issues, then drained 50cc of fluid from the joint and gave a cortisone shot to top it all off. He wished me luck and sent me on my way.

1) So true.

2) Less edema and a steroid shot...looks like you're good to go, then.

NorthernHarrier

Hot and sunny today after an all day storm session yesterday. Got in 13.5 in the heat but was able to finish my run in grand style. About a quarter mile from where I am parked the trail takes me past a gin clear lake with a perfect natural beach. I stopped just long enough to remove my glasses and pack and in I went. Unbelievably refreshing! May have looked a little strange to the lone couple and their toddler that were there with me leaving my shoes on and all.

QOTD-

Well, Deep Woods Off Sportsman is available in a small highly concentrated formula at 98% deet. I know there are others too. I carry the little bottle of highly concentrated stuff with me as a backup. Generally I use the regular Deep Woods Off @ 25% deet. That's about the perfect percentage in an aerosol to get good coverage.

As far as Lyme--um yeah Wisconsin is the nations hot spot. As I have documented in the past I have been treated for it 5x now. It is a MF'er. That being said so far this season I have only removed 7-8 standard wood ticks off me which is really nothing compared to most years and I am actually happy to deal with wood ticks.  I am ultra paranoid about getting Lyme again.

Our deer flies are just getting started right now and for me and running they are probably my biggest nuisance. Fun times.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Another easy day of 3.1 miles.

qotd: I don't know if my area is a hot spot for Lyme, but I've been treated once and I know others who have also.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.