Trailer Trash

Shovel Your Snow Saturdaily (Read 23 times)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good Morning,

I had planned on a run this morning, but the snow was more than expected, so I scratched that and shoveled snow for an hour instead. I got DH's car cleaned off and out so that he could go to work on time, but my own car is still stuck, just cleaned off temporarily, and I don't know how I can get it out without someone pushing it to help it over the big hump that the plow left last night. DD is at a friend's house for a sleepover, and I got called in for work early, so I'm in a bit of a dilemma. Oh well, I'll get that solved, too, I guess. Somehow...

So, how's everyone doing with the snow?

Run for fun.

AT-runner

Tim

Marie, tell work you can't get out. If people don't have food by now, they shouldn't be shopping!  Problem solved.

Round #1 of driveway is done. DW and I are going out for a little run. The plows have been by, so we have a surface to run on. We have 16" so far and now they say we could get 16-20" more.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

There's two inches on my shed roof..........and over two feet on my deck.  So, I have no idea how much we got but it's still coming down at a pretty good clip.  DD was supposed to work and woke us up this morning to let us know she was taking the SUV. It's all wheel drive with a lockout feature that locks all four wheels in. I've taken it places where 4X4 pickups could barely make it.  It looks like the snowplow went earlier this morning and based on that we probably have a little over a foot. So nothing too bad, but enough to mess things up somewhat.

I probably won't do any outside running today. Planning on splitting time between the elliptical and trainer with a lot of shoveling for cross training.

QOTD: What's the worst winter storm you've ever been in?    For me it had to be the March storm in '93, at least I think that was the year. Getting too old to remember which year it was .  I was still driving truck and was coming out of central New York going to southern PA. DW was riding along and we weren't paying attention to weather reports. Stopped at a store close to home to pick up some drinks and couldn't find anything because the shelves were almost bare. I made to my drop off point, unloaded, then was able to get another load on when the storm really hit. Barely made it home. At my house we ended up with about 36 inches.  The next year we didn't have any massive storms just a constant run of storms dumping 7-15 inches every week. If a storm went to the north of us we got it, If it went to the south we still got it. Ended up with over 100 inches at our place, while those to the north and south had about 2/3rds of that amount.

I have some fond memories of some really nice weather from back in the late 80 and 90s when I was still driving.  Loved every minute of it.

runtraildc

Amen!

Marie, tell work you can't get out. If people don't have food by now, they shouldn't be shopping!  Problem solved.

Coming back from my 6.5 miles yesterday, folks were running up to the grocery and shocked to find out they were closed!!  Funnily, I had stopped by the hardware store to pick up birdseed to fill my feeder, so what does that say about me?!    My run was quite pleasant, but work since the snow was starting to stick and it was a bit slippery.  Saw quite a few other runners out, getting in that last minute run before getting snowed in.

We had 14" of very fine powder at 8 am this morning.  Supposed to go until 7 or 8 tonight.  Everything is closed here, save for a few gas stations and convenience stores.   Heading outside to do more shoveling shortly.

And we still have power, despite all the predictions otherwise, so life is good.

Daydreamer1

Funnily, I had stopped by the hardware store to pick up birdseed to fill my feeder, so what does that say about me?! 

You almost forgot about the poor birdies .  Shame on you .

AT-runner

Tim

We had a fun run o the road for an out and back 5 miles. That was all the wind I could take with the snow blowing sideways into the eyes. We followed the plow and on the way back it was amazing how much drifting and more snow we had to run through. It was fun. Now going to read a book and watch the snow come down.  We're close to 20" now and not letting up. Pictures from Ocean City, MD and Chincoteague Island, VA are pretty amazing with the flooding at high tide. Hope everyone stays safe.

QOTD:  We had a 3 day storm when we lived in Iowa in the mid 80's. Drifts were up to second floors and yet some places you could see the grass. Think it was something like 45" total, but the joke was that it didn't beat the record of 52" in 1969. Since it was Iowa, my family in DC didn't hear about it until we called to tell them how bad it was.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Uh....it's snowing.  We have close to 2 ft and still going strong.  I shoveled the driveway (with a few breaks to play with the kids) for 4 hours.  I'd love to try and run in this stuff but I am beat.  Think I will cal it a day.

QOTD: I grew up in New England.  We have some pretty good size storms - maybe 3-4 ft at once.  I remember snow banks of 12ft plus in our driveway as a kid.   Great times!

Have a great snow day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

muppy

5.6 last night. Lots of cross training today, been running a snow blower since 2:30 am til 7:00ish tonight.

QOTD A few stick out but 96 was most memorable. I walked down Main st for about 10 blocks in 3 feet of snow to get a bottle of Southern Comfort from my bosses house. I'm pretty sure that was when son was conceived......

Watoni

About to head out soon in the mud here. Bride and boys are in Tahoe, I am home with our rescue puppy. They are getting (mostly) snow, we are getting rain off and on.

QOTD: Probably 2010 Tahoe .... many feet of snow and pretty much stuck there for a while Smile

NorthernHarrier

Man, that's some big time snow you easterner's are getting. Cool!  We're supposed to get 1" to 3" on Monday statewide. I feel so inadequate.   Did my 10k snowshoe race this morning. There was maybe a foot on the ground of good quality snow for the event. Left right after as all the slow 5ker's were lined up at the feed area and clogging the results tent so again I'll have to look online to see my results. Most of these snowshoe events I'm well inside mid pack which for an old guy leaves me satisfied. I always hold back these days and never race this short stuff like I used to do the short road races in my younger days.

I've got about 15" on the ground at my shack with some fresh so I'm guessing the skiing should be perfect. After the mentioning of skiing the other day I started thinking and off the top of my head I have at least 10 groomed ski areas within a half hour of here. Most free or just a donation box. Pretty sweet.

QOTD--You guys all have us whipped. We are a big snow state but seldom get those monster storms. Just a lot of smaller ones, at least up here. It just keeps accumulating over the season.

AT--one of the bigger ones I remember was a 17"er with blizzard winds. When it finally stopped I looked out at my neighbors driveways and the drifts were roof high. My driveway because of the direction it faced was bare. 

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

So I shoveled some more, and eventually got the car out. After driving all across town with the boys to pick up DD, I drove all across town back home, put on my work clothes, and drove all the way across town again to work. Took me 2 hours of driving. 

Still arrived at work plenty early and did not lose any hours when the store closed down early. 

AT, fun thing was, half an hour after we had closed down the sub shop and were just finishing up to go home, a customer came up and asked for a sub sandwich. We could not make one any more, as we had discarded all the leftover bread already, so we directed her to the cooler with pre-made subs. She refused to take one, claiming she had driven all across town to get "her" sub custom-made. 

So I agree with you, whoever is not happy with good food that is almost the same as what exactly they had imagined, does not need any more food.

traildc: I also got some bird food after work - because this morning, I saw bird footprints in the snow, walking all the way up the steps to our front door, and to the empty birdfeeder which I had put there to refill as soon as I got more seeds (I had run out the day before). It almost broke my heart! 

So I refilled the feeder, and the birds' food will be out again tomorrow morning!

QOTD: In the winter of 2005/2006, our family was in Austria for a ski vacation. There, it was a "once-in-a-century" winter in terms of snow. 5 to 7 feet piling up already everywhere which had come down during the previous 2 weeks, and more snow still coming down heavily day and night. You could only walk in "aisles" along the streets in the town, and driving was hindered everywhere by the huge amounts of snow. Roofs collapsed, trees broke, roads were closed, but skiing, if you could get to the lifts, was gorgeous! Interestingly, the roads that were kept somewhat clear with the highest priority were the roads leading to the ski lifts and resorts, not the highways or main roads. 

The vacation condo that we had booked for our family, my nephew and my parents did not have heat any more due to a broken furnace, so we were moved to a different, very cute B&B, with traditional pine-paneled rooms under the roof, pine-wood beds with turned legs, head- and footboards, red-and-white-checkered linens, a very rich breakfast with freshly home-baked bread, farm eggs and ham, and a huge traditional tile stove in the center of the breakfast room, where we were allowed to dry our ski gear overnight. All in all, it was a big upgrade to our ski vacation!

Run for fun.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Haven't been outside at all. When I went to open the door this morning the snow was about 6" above the sill and still coming down. My kitchen window is almost at ground level because the apt building is set into the side of a hill. I can barely see the sky at the very top, otherwise the view is completely blocked by snow. I do hope the snow crew for the apartment gets things cleaned up by tomorrow morning because I'm schedule to work Sunday evening and I expect it will take most of the afternoon to shovel out my car after the drive is plowed.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

bagge_pants

7.3 easy miles tonight

QOTD: not applicable, first winter

Queen of Nothing

Sue

6 mikes after the rain

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄