Trailer Trash

Running With the Devil 12-Hour RR (Read 19 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

After the Hyner Trail Challenge 25K I knew I needed a lot more experience and training on hills. Even given that the Hyner hills were much steeper than what I'd be facing at the HURL Elkhorn 50K, I'm now realizing that at my speed and fitness the first cutoff time at 16 miles may be a challenge as it comes at the top of a 2000' climb. Hence I started looking for any races with multiple large climbs. Running With the Devil 12 Hour race was the earliest that fit that description. Though it was short notice, work was able to give me the necessary time off, so I made a motel reservation and registered.

Race weekend arrived and it promised to be a gorgeous weekend - for vacationers, too hot and sunny for a tough ultra. With so many headed for the Shore or the Poconos traffic was much heavier than normal even at 1:45 pm before rush hour usually starts. I guess many left work at noon to get a jump on the weekend. I wasn't in any hurry. It's only a 3 hour drive so I have more than enough time to find my motel, check out where the race starts, and get dinner. At least my motel choice was conveniently located only 5 minutes from the race, but other problems surfaced starting at check-in. I got my pass cards from registration and walked up stairs to my room. I had a little trouble getting the card to work at first, what was taken back by what I saw when I finally got the door open. The room had suitcase, clothes, toiletries, etc already present. At least the person renting the room wasn't there. So back down stairs to registration to let them know. Apparently the previous clerk had moved me to another room and entered that in the computer but had not changed any of the paperwork. Aside from a mild inconvenience no hard done.

After unpacking I drove a short way up the road to a pizza place for my traditional baked ziti pre-race dinner. Back at my room I checked FB, the RWOL forums, RunningAhead, and my email before checking out what was on TV, then reading a while, then turned in early about 9:00 am. I had left a wake up call for 4:30 to give me time for coffee and scones that I'd brought with me. I was too early for the motel breakfast which wasn't available until 6:30 am. Uncharacteristically I did not lay out all my running gear before I went to sleep. When I awoke the next morning I could see that it was already light out, then turned to check the clock and realized it was 5:17 am. I doubt that I would have slept through a wake up call, so I'm assuming it was never made. The race started at 6:00 am, so I rushed through my preparations, not even bothering with coffee, then checked out. Normally I get a receipt printed when I check out but that was taking so long I eventually said to forget it. I was not happy about the missed wake up call and this added to my annoyance. I left in a huff.

Parking and check-in at least went smoothly, no bib, just an ankle chip. I filled my water bottles and put my camera in the belt pouch. At least this race I would get a few pictures. While waiting for the start I asked one of the volunteers to take a photo so I have at least one picture of me from the race. The course was also unique in that each lap started by running through the ski lodge, down stairs, then up onto the dirt road for the first hill. The aid station was set up at the bar of the lodge. No, no alcoholic beverages were being served, but there must have been three dozen choices of food ranging from half a dozen different fruits to candy, cookies, salty snacks, candy bars, and granola bars as well as an assortment of drinks.

After walking through the bar area, down the stairs, and up a small hill, I was able to jog about 100m before starting to walk up the first hill. Essentially everyone that I could see was walking. The leaders may have been running but I didn't look up far enough to check. We didn't get our first break in the steady uphill until about a quarter mile into the race. There was a left turn and slight downhill before we turned right again and began a relentless uphill, mostly in the open trudging through knee high grass in many places following the orange arrows. Even before reaching the top of that portion at the top of the first ski lift I was pausing every so often to give my legs a rest and catch my breath. That first ski lift marked approximately one mile, then we had a brief respite that was more and more welcome each loop, where we ran on a single track through woods between ski slopes. Yes, I could actually run portions of this where it wasn't too rocky. As we came out of the woods we took a sharp dip then left up the second big climb to the top of the second ski lift. This portion was less steep than the first, but after all the climbing already it wasn't much easier. At the top was an unmanned water stop 1.6 miles into the loop, but that water would not be replenished during the race, so the RD asked us to be considerate, carry our own water during the race, and use it only as needed, not being wasteful. I was carrying two 10.5 oz bottles, so I didn't need any that first lap. I did sit for a minute to rest my legs, then started on the 1.4 miles downhill to finish the loop. Being slightly shorter than the uphill, parts were steeper, some steep enough that I did not find it runnable. Other sections were loose dirt and gravel that I sometimes slid on walking; there was no way I would risk running those portions and probably end up on my rear if I did. While I could move faster, it was not as fast as I can run the more gentle downhill on Mt Joy at Valley forge NP. I think most of my downhill miles were in the 15-16 minute range.  

The first 3 mile loop took about an hour; the second was 1:14. At that point it was getting warm enough and my legs were getting tired enough that I started taking longer breaks while I ate and drank. At first the breaks were only 5-10 minutes. The loops were also getting slower. Trudging up the hill might be an understatement. At times it was 30-50 steps up, then stop, bend over to rest and catch my breath, and repeat what seemed like ad infinitum. Each time I reached one of the ski lifts I felt like I needed to sit and rest before I could continue. The loops were now taking me 1:25-1:30 to complete, then add on increasingly long rest breaks between loops. Except for that short section through the woods there was no shade, so even my freqent rests kept me out in the sun which was now getting very warm, the type you describe as beating down on you. The uphills were a long string of walk, stop, catch my breath, walk, stop, catch my breath, on and on. After 4 loops I wondered how much more I could take. The heat was tough. I was now going through both my 10.5 oz bottles on the way up and refilling at least one at the top for the trip down. I seriously considered calling it a day at far short of the 30 miles I thought was possible before I saw the course. That estimate was quickly revised to 24 miles maximum after my first lap; then revised down each subsequent lap. I must have sat there close to half an hour before getting up to start my 5th loop. Oddly enough after the first loop the hills didn't seem to get any tougher until this one. By now my legs were so tired that sections I ran before I was now walking. It wasn't until I reached the top and had only 1.4 miles left, promising myself that after this lap I was done, that I could move into a shuffle and then a slow jog down hill. Once I got moving and with the end in sight I was surprised at how fast I could move downhill. I think that may have been my fastest downhill mile all day.

I crossed the time mat for 15 miles at 7:27:45 by my watch. Even though I had promised myself that was the last lap, I rested, ate, and drank for almost a half hour before finally turning in my chip. I think I was hoping to convince myself that I could do one more, but every time I got up to get something else to eat or drink my quads said no, you aren't walking up any more hills. I think I could have handle another lap in the heat, but my legs were completely shot. Even today as I write this I wonder how I am going to get out for even a walk to work out some of the soreness. I feel more like I do after a 24 hour race or hard 50K than I would expect after "only" 15 miles. With 1100 feet of gain each lap, that was 5500 feet of gain - and loss, much more than anything I have ever done before, and I am feeling the after effects.

As I mentioned earlier, moving at that pace puts me in danger of not making the mid-race cutoff time at the Elkhorn 50K. Hopefully there i won't need to extended breaks I was taking here, but I have a lot of training to do, both in increasing my weekly distance and long runs, as well as running a lot more vertical gain. I have several training runs and race potentially on my schedule including my first fatass 50K. As difficult as the hill runs are, I think one a week is the most I can handle, especially if it also doubles as my long run. That may put my midweek interval workouts at risk, but the hills are more important for my goal this summer. This race did fulfill its purpose though, which was to give me some experience with running a lot of vertical gain and giving me a better sense of what pace I can run under those conditions.

Some photos from the race:

Waiting for the start

Looking back, not even half way yet

A little farther up the hill

Looking up toward the top

It doesn't look so bad, but don't be fooled

Still not at the top

Our respite in the woods

Finally the top

Watching others begin another loop

That's all, folks.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

AT-runner

Tim

Sounds like a brutal course. Did anyone use poles?

I've done some runs at Ski Liberty and the steep downhills are tough. You need to train for the downhills as much as the climbing. Also, very surprised they didn't cut the deep grass.  With the hill, they didn't need to add any difficulty.  And telling you to conserve water on a hot day is not acceptable.  Looks like some better race management/planning/volunteering is needed.

Wonder if the first room you got had an early wake-up call.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Sounds like a brutal course. Did anyone use poles?

I've done some runs at Ski Liberty and the steep downhills are tough. You need to train for the downhills as much as the climbing. Also, very surprised they didn't cut the deep grass.  With the hill, they didn't need to add any difficulty.  And telling you to conserve water on a hot day is not acceptable.  Looks like some better race management/planning/volunteering is needed.

Wonder if the first room you got had an early wake-up call.

No poles allowed, which apparently was not mentioned on the race site because several runners brought them. The water situation wasn't that bad. We were all informed of the situation ahead of time and asked to please carry plenty of water and refill at the main aid station when possible. I don't think anyone opened a jug until lap 3. There appeared to be enough left when I went through on my 5th lap for the last 1.5 hours of the 6-hour and for those still running in the 12-hour. If the field had been double even double the size it would have been a problem, but as you can see from the prerace photo, there weren't that many of us, and even adding the 3-hour and 6-hour runners later I don't think that brought the total to more than 50.

The wake up call was by my room number which I specifically mentioned, so I guess it was never activated.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

AT-runner

Tim

No poles allowed, which apparently was not mentioned on the race site because several runners brought them. 

I wasn't a fan of poles until I was training with them for my R2R2R run. They really helped me on the downhills (by softening the blow a bit) as much as the uphills. At the GC, they were a great help, and now I'm a big fan. With a race that small, don't see why the RD didn't want them.

Hope you recover quickly. Good luck with the rest of your training for Elkhorn.  Labor Pains might be a nice post-Elkhorn race.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

Wow. It would have been nice if they would have cut that grass going up the ski slope. I cannot stand running through high grass. I just hate it.

LB2

runtraildc

Congratulations on a tough race.  The pics of the ski hill do not look easy. And I agree with the tall grass comments.  I would not like that.

And based on my experience, those hotel screw ups are more common than I'd like to think.  The first time it happened to me, I also got the wrong room call at 3 am telling me my car was illegally parked. The second time I was awakened at midnight with folks trying to get in the bolted door.  Makes you wish for the old fashioned door keys.  When the key is gone, the room is booked.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Wow, that sounds brutal.  5500 of gain in 15 miles...

Thanks for sharing!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

XtremeTaper

That sounds like a pretty brutal race. Seeing the ski slope, reminds me a section out at Virgil Crest. Seems you are doing the right things to prepare for your mountain 50k. Hopefully there will be some switchbacks out there to make the climb more manageable. Good luck with the rest of your training!

In dog beers, I've only had one.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I'm getting some great options to help with my training. One of the local ultra runners has organized a fatass 50K at VF for this Saturday that will run the Mt Joy - Mt Misery loop I've run in the past. 8 loops is about 50K. Not sure of the total elevation gain, but I think it would be about 6500 ft, though I expect I'll only run 3 or 4 loops. One of the runners there is training for WS so maybe I can get some more good pointers on training.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Daydreamer1

Finally got the time to read this.  Sounds like a brutal race, but great training.   I agree those motel room screw ups are far too common. Had someone open our door in North Vegas one night. Scared the shit out of us and I kicked the door shut in their face. Front desk clerk thought it was just Ok that it happened.

One suggestion that may help with your training. Walking Lunges.  I try to do them but often ignore or neglect them because they hurt so much. Still, I can tell they make me a better climber.

Is this a race you would recommend or would do again?

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

This is one of the races in the nj trail series put on by Hasher Rick. It's also one of the few races I've run where I didn't know anyone there and as small a field as there was (21 in the 12-hour, 32 in the 6-hour, and 55 in the 3-hour), there wasn't a lot of interaction during the race with other runners. The 6-hour and 3-hour races started at 9:00 am three hours after the 12-hour, so I didn't see any of them until well into my third loop.  What there was was typical encouragement or asking if I was okay when I took one of my frequent breaks.

Like I've heard of Hasher Rick's races, I thought it well organized and we were well supplied with food and drink. I though it a little quirky to run through the lodge bar every loop, but it also meant we were indoors out of the sun, had tables and chairs where we stashed our drop bags, and everything was readily available. The only drawback, and this posed a bit of a problem for me, was that we were running through tall grass, not a mowed path, on portions of the course. I started getting an allergic reaction with rash on my legs and itchy eyes because of hay fever. But problem solved. They had allergy medicine in the first aid kit, so I popped a tablet and was fine.

After all that, I'm not sure if I would run it again, but that is nothing against the race. I would do another nj trail series race with no hesitation, but I have so many other races I would like to run that I would probably look elsewhere, maybe Laurel Highlands or the midwest or west for a different race in the coming years.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Sandy-2

Congratulations !!!  It really takes some mental fortitude to do loops on a course like that. Great for training, both physical and mental.

Fun Fact: I used to live in Barry Lakes, which is about 3 miles east of where you were (near Wawayanda State Park).

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

muppy

Congratulations George!  Sounds like a tough course and you did pretty good,nice job.